Bsu @ Nmu 10/23-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bsu @ Nmu 10/23-24

BSU enters this series 2-0 and NMU 1-1. Both recieved votes in the pre-season USCHO and USA Today poll, but otherwise both of these teams are off next weekend...

To recap, Bemidji State swept Air Force 3-1 and 7-3 in their opening weekend at home.

NMU beat Ryerson 11-2 (exhibition), lost at MTU 5-3, and beat UMD 3-1.

Here's what I can tell you about the Beavers - they return 6 defensemen, and that posed a problem for AFA. The Falcons had a tough time moving the puck and getting quality shots on net. BSU also graduated 4 of their top 6 scorers from last year, so scoring was thought to be a question going into this year. In the first two games, three freshmen have scored their first ever BSU goals. The goaltender position was also a question, as Frozen Four hero, Matt Dalton left for the pros, leaving a Soph (with no varsity experience) and two Freshmen. The Sophomore (Dan Bakala) got two wins and was less than 2 minutes from a shut out last Friday night...

As for style of play, BSU has speedy, undersized players, and utilizes a "puck pressure" type of hockey, meaning that they like to take-away as much space from the puck carrier as possible. As you might imagine, BSU has not had the best success on olympic ice with that system, but they do show a win at Colorado College when they were #9 a few years ago and nearly beat eventual champ Denver on an olympic sheet in 2006. BSU also doesn't play on the 200x100 very often...

Thoughts from Puckhead nation on the battle at the BEC?
    Last edited by moose97; 10-12-2009, 10:59 AM. Reason: update for Sun. NMU game info
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: Bsu @ Nmu 10/23-24

NMU needs to stay out of the box. When we're 5x5, NMU looks great. That's about all I can offer at this point.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      I know NMU's got their Superior Showcase game tomorrow at UMD, but otherwise both of these teams are off next weekend...

To recap, Bemidji State swept Air Force 3-1 and 7-3 in their opening weekend at home.

NMU beat Ryerson 11-2 (exhibition), lost at MTU 5-3, and plays at UMD tomorrow.

Here's what I can tell you about the Beavers - they return 6 defensemen, and that posed a problem for AFA. The Falcons had a tough time moving the puck and getting quality shots on net. BSU also graduated 4 of their top 6 scorers from last year, so scoring was thought to be a question going into this year. In the first two games, three freshmen have scored their first ever BSU goals. The goaltender position was also a question, as Frozen Four hero, Matt Dalton left for the pros, leaving a Soph (with no varsity experience) and two Freshmen. The Sophomore (Dan Bakala) got two wins and was less than 2 minutes from a shut out last Friday night...

As for style of play, BSU has speedy, undersized players, and utilizes a "puck pressure" type of hockey, meaning that they like to take-away as much space from the puck carrier as possible. As you might imagine, BSU has not had the best success on olympic ice with that system, but they do show a win at Colorado College when they were #9 a few years ago and nearly beat eventual champ Denver on an olympic sheet in 2006. BSU also doesn't play on the 200x100 very often...

Will the BREC have an Olympic sized sheet?
      -BSU Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Nels1jac View Post
        Will the BREC have an Olympic sized sheet?
        No... 200x85

Comment

NMU looked much better, downing tUMD 3-1. Not sure who we'll see in net for either game at this point as CCHA first team preseason Brian Stewart was passed over for Reid Ellingson. Olver had a 3 point night (1 goal 2 helpers) to go along with his 1 assist from Friday Night. Gustaffson has 2 goals, and 2 assists on the season. From NMU, if they stay out of the box you are going to get solid play from the top three lines. The fourth line, has had strong play the past two games, but we'll see how far the Freshman carry that line.

Defense is a liablity thus far. Outside of Miller, and Dorich (who is in the box half the time, ala Bobby Selden style) you have some new guys out there.

NMU has a bye week this week before the series with BSU, so hopefully a good two weeks of practice sets this team up for continued success.
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

The year is young. This is the chance NMU can take by playing good physical and exciting hockey at the beginning of the year(THESE GAMES MATTER!!!!), but NMU needs to play consistent hockey. I think what hurts this team is the amount of penalties they have taken against MTU and UMD, the 1st two offical games of the year. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline....It would be hard for any team to win the game with the amount of penalties taken already. Lately, year in and year out, NMU has trouble getting out of the gate to play hockey....

On a brighter note, NMU played a much better game Sunday against UMD. It started slow, but this team played like a team. On the Offensive Corps for NMU Florek, Maltese, Olver, and Gustaffson are ready each and every night. The Defensive Corps looks good with Dorich, Fernandez, Gustaffson (again), and TJ. The other players (Not mentioned) will grow with this team. The time to play hockey is now and its for NMU to take it to each and every team.

Moose, wish I could meet you for these games, but I'm in the sandbox again missing another year of hockey. I'm sure you will have a great time in MQT. Hopefully, I'll be back next fall and can make a visit to your new barn.

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

I updated my main post with the link to yesteday's NMU/UMD boxscore. Wish I could have traveled to Duluth to catch that one... Anyway, I may have to cancel my travel plans for next weekend as well. That's what happens when you sink $700 into your truck and have your kid suddenly need $700 in dental work.

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

I updated my main post with the link to yesteday's NMU/UMD boxscore. Wish I could have traveled to Duluth to catch that one... Anyway, I may have to cancel my travel plans for next weekend as well. That's what happens when you sink $700 into your truck and have your kid suddenly need $700 in dental work.

Any one else from Beaver Nation planning on making the trip??
                Always a Wildcat...
                Originally posted by Kepler
                If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

If the Wildcats can't pull out a sweep here, they mind as well kiss their NCAA at-large chances good-bye. If they get swept, Walter should just do the team a favor and resign in his postgame press conference. I wish the local media would apply some heat to Walter actually

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post

Any one else from Beaver Nation planning on making the trip??
                    I do know a few other people that are planning on making the trip, but it's unfortunate that the BSU football team is in play-off contention and taking on the defending national champs, Minnesota-Duluth in the final home game of the year that Saturday. Not that football is as popular as hockey, but I think that since BSU has played well (beaten two ranked teams, and lost to a third in OT), there will be pretty good interest in this UMD game...

AHA:
                    ECAC:

Comment

Im really starting to realize that nobody at NMU knows how things work, besides the intelligent posters on here. Id ask how you figure that this would hurt our chances of getting a bid but Im just expecting a rant on how the coaching staff is horrible in your eyes.

Last year for example Ohio State lost to Michigan State, Alaska and Western Michigan. Duluth tied Michigan Tech twice, lost to UAA 3 times and tied their other game, and tied Lake State. UNH lost to Maine. North Dakota lost to State, Tech, Minnesota State, and UAA. What do all these teams have in common? They all got at large bids into the NCAA tourny. Nice logic.
                      Last edited by NMU8405; 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM.

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                        Im really starting to realize that nobody at NMU knows how things work, besides the intelligent posters on here. Id ask how you figure that this would hurt our chances of getting a bid but Im just expecting a rant on how the coaching staff is horrible in your eyes.

Last year for example Ohio State lost to Michigan State, Alaska and Western Michigan. Duluth tied Michigan Tech twice, lost to UAA 3 times and tied their other game, and tied Lake State. UNH lost to Maine, North Dakota lost to State, Tech, Minnesota State, and UAA. What do all these teams have in common? They all got at large bids into the NCAA tourny. Nice logic.
                        You want to know how getting swept by BSU would hurt our chances at getting into the tournament....? Are you serious?

It hurts our chances because its not a win. If losses helped teams get into the tournament you would see teams throwing games left and right. Anyway you look at it, a loss to a non-conference oponnent who is likely to be a team under consideration is a HUGE blow to NMU's at-large chances.

Btw, except for Duluth, all the teams you mentioned above are big name schools, don't even try and tell yourself that that doesn't play a big role in the selections.

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
                          You want to know how getting swept by BSU would hurt our chances at getting into the tournament....? Are you serious?

It hurts our chances because its not a win. If losses helped teams get into the tournament you would see teams throwing games left and right. Anyway you look at it, a loss to a non-conference oponnent who is likely to be a team under consideration is a HUGE blow to NMU's at-large chances.

Btw, except for Duluth, all the teams you mentioned above are big name schools, don't even try and tell yourself that that doesn't play a big role in the selections.
                          Ummm, last time I checked if a team was a "Team Under Consideration" it meant that they were GOOD ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE NCAA... That means that they are good... How does losing to a good team kill your chances? If you have to lose, that is who you want to lose to...

#2... It's GAME 3 and 4 on the season... We have a whole year to worry about earning a spot in the NCAAs... Why the hell are you throwing in the towel after this game?

Like I told you last year, if you are this disheartened with this team, just stop supporting them... Make a statement with your wallet (although I am pretty sure you do jack s* anyways, seeing as you are never seen around the Berry)... You obviously have no clue about Sports Administration or hockey in general... We DO NOT want you tarnishing the Wildcat name with your non-sense and drivel...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Ummm, last time I checked if a team was a "Team Under Consideration" it meant that they were GOOD ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE NCAA... That means that they are good... How does losing to a good team kill your chances? If you have to lose, that is who you want to lose to...
                            Actually, the stakes are higher when you're playing against a TUC.

You lost to Tech. We're probably not going to be a TUC, so the only damage you took is a chunk of RPI and possibly some common opponents records later. Had you beaten us, you wouldn't have gotten much to show for it.

Let's say you lose to Bemidji, who goes on to become a low-end TUC. You take hits to RPI, records against common opponents, record against TUCs, and you might lose Bemidji's comparison outright because of head-to-head. This can cost you big time in the PWR. On the other hand, beat them and you gain in all these categories instead.

If you have postseason aspirations, the stakes are much higher when you play against a TUC. These will be important games for NMU.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Its a moot point because we are going to get the auto-bid

Born a Black Bear

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X