Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 of 22 US Under 18 members from Non-D1 states

http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...1_02&ID=233682

Sure hope this is a sign of Hockey becoming more of a national sport. It's amazing considering how many players there are in the traditional hockey states and how few of them made the team.

Re: 9 of 22 US Under 18 members from Non-D1 states

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...1_02&ID=233682

Sure hope this is a sign of Hockey becoming more of a national sport. It's amazing considering how many players there are in the traditional hockey states and how few of them made the team.
    Those from traditional hockey states have more options, so some choose not to even try out for the USNTDP.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Those from traditional hockey states have more options, so some choose not to even try out for the USNTDP.
      There’s a lot of truth to that. However, if the “non-trad 9” are from the 2nd or even 3rd ring of talent across the country, perhaps their presence on the team is an indicator of growth outside the hockey belt. Too early to say but it’s something worth watching.

Comment

I saw a comment on this trend on a youth hockey message board. To paraphrase: "In Minnesota we are more worried about winning titles at each age level and less about player development. The non-traditional hockey areas do not have the depth to form strong teams and have less opportunity to play lots of games. As a result they have been focusing more on player development and this is the result."

Don't know how valid it is, but I do know my local association is too concerned with wins and losses and not concerned enough with player development. If it were not, we would have more A and B1 teams and fewer C teams. (It still produces lots of high end players just because of numbers.)

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          I saw a comment on this trend on a youth hockey message board. To paraphrase: "In Minnesota we are more worried about winning titles at each age level and less about player development. The non-traditional hockey areas do not have the depth to form strong teams and have less opportunity to play lots of games. As a result they have been focusing more on player development and this is the result."

Don't know how valid it is, but I do know my local association is too concerned with wins and losses and not concerned enough with player development. If it were not, we would have more A and B1 teams and fewer C teams. (It still produces lots of high end players just because of numbers.)
          I would say this is pretty accurate in Massachusetts, too. I played youth/public hockey from age 5 to 15, and there was definitely a lot more focus on the team than individual development. Practices were almost entirely team drills outside of the usual conditioning drills. I think a big part of that, though, at least in Mass, is that we didn't have the resources/coaches to devote the necessary time to helping each player develop. There's plenty of summer camps that focus on player development, though. Of course they cost money, but youth hockey isn't exactly cheap in the first place.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Goldy, that was more true several years back across the state but dating back at least a decade I saw first hand several communities that returned to placing an emphasis on player development by reducing the number of games played and adding practices. Given the lenthening of the period in h.s. and adding the elite league in the spring (among other opportunities for playing time), there’s not as much of a need to try and cram as many games as possible at the youth levels. Results can be seen by the quality of talent that has again begun emerging from the state as witnessed at the Div I and NHL level.

Comment

Working...
            X