This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLU 2009-2010 Season

Here is the new thread. I hope we can at least split our opening weekend.
    St. Lawrence University Graduate
    2000 BS Phys Ed.
    2001 Masters of Education
    St. Lawrence United FC (72541)
    Canada, IV.47
    Home of the St. Lawrence United Baby Saints (28992)

Re: SLU 2009-2010 Season

Originally posted by moko View Post
    Here is the new thread. I hope we can at least split our opening weekend.
    UML will be a tough one, for sure. I'm guessing UNO will beat USMA, but I would think Saturday will be a touch easier than the UML game. It'll be interesting to see how the boys fare this weekend.

Side note: It appears I'll be headed home next weekend to catch the RIT/Niagara games since I'm up that way.

Comment

Will Bill Cowan and I be the only SLU fans in Omaha Friday?

Plenty of tickets. Evidently SLU v UML is not yet a big draw in Nebraska.
      St. Lawrence University
      World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
        Will Bill Cowan and I be the only SLU fans in Omaha Friday?

Plenty of tickets. Evidently SLU v UML is not yet a big draw in Nebraska.
        I'll be there. At least the officiating should be better and neutral compared to the ECAC!

Go Saints!
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          I'll be there. At least the officiating should be better and neutral compared to the ECAC!

Go Saints!
          Sometimes knowing what you have is better than than what you are getting. I have seen some of the CCHA guys not the best refs in the world. It is just as scary out there as it is here. But please let us know how they are. INTERESTED?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
            Sometimes knowing what you have is better than than what you are getting. I have seen some of the CCHA guys not the best refs in the world. It is just as scary out there as it is here. But please let us know how they are. INTERESTED?
            Asking GOT6 his opinion on referee's is the equivalent of.......well let's just not go there.
            The only worse thing you could do would be to say ''hey, I hear Obama will be in attendance at the game and rooting for UML!!!!"
            SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
              Asking GOT6 his opinion on referee's is the equivalent of.......well let's just not go there.
              The only worse thing you could do would be to say ''hey, I hear Obama will be in attendance at the game and rooting for UML!!!!"
              Hogwash. Now if Pelosi was going to be there....

No, actually, if we end up playing UNO I fully expect ref screwage (aka Michigan 10/2008!!!!). However, two non-league teams....well, the officiating might be bad but at least it won't be a conspiracy!!!
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I remarked in the old thread about the siren being absent during Sunday's game. Here's the answer, from "Casstle of the Saints" Blog in the WDT.
                The Blog is a must-read for any Saints' fan. It's at: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...saintstothemax

The Silent Siren Speaks
                By Daniel J. Cassavaugh
                First published: October 06, 2009 at 8:57 pm
                Last modified: October 06, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Those attending St. Lawrence's exhibition game with Toronto on Sunday noticed an oddly quiet sound when the Saints skated onto the ice and after each of their two goals.

That air-raid horn that blares at least three times every game, hopefully more, was idle. Not a peep was heard from the thing unless you happened to be inside the building about 90 minutes before game time. It was being tested then, and testing did not go well.

But this was after it was left on for 10 minutes last week during practice.

The thing works by syncing with the goal-light and the scoreboard. When everything reads zeros it goes off. Apparently during a practice (I'm unclear if it was a men's or women's practice) last week, the switch to tell the horn it's game time was left on. When the scoreboard went on for practice, it was at 0:00 and the horn screamed. It also blew the transformer.

So the horn continued to scream.

And scream.

And scream.

Those unfamiliar with old WWII sirens will note that they only get louder and louder. This design was used to warn the community of an impending attack.

Let's pause for a minute and imagine this horn increasing in volume inside an arena. It got so loud that it began to shake the glass. The team which was practicing didn't know how to turn it off, so there was a mad panic to turn the thing off.

And someone finally did, but not before damage was done to it. It had never ran for 10 straight minutes in its entire existence – nearly 60 years.

Today it underwent life-threatening maintenance…. And the surgery took four hours.

They switched it on, and alas, the sweet, sweet siren song. It's ready to go for the next game and the season.
                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned the reffing at Michigan 10/08 cost us an NCAA bid in the first game of the season ( which I believe I posted was a distinct possibity at the to time) We get those 5 unanswered 3rd period penalties back (or whatever it was ) from the CCHA in Ann Arbor and we might have gone into the regionals as a 3 seed.

I'll look for you in Omaha.
                  St. Lawrence University

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                    Agreed. As far as I'm concerned the reffing at Michigan 10/08 cost us an NCAA bid in the first game of the season ( which I believe I posted was a distinct possibity at the to time) We get those 5 unanswered 3rd period penalties back (or whatever it was ) from the CCHA in Ann Arbor and we might have gone into the regionals as a 3 seed.

I'll look for you in Omaha.
                    So as I said the ECAC refs might not be as bad as what you are going to gey out in this showdown

Comment

Wishing Coach Marsh, the coaching staff and all the players "good luck" as they embark on the new season. It is certainly a changed landscape this year and I believe the teams success lies in playing the system and game Coach Marsh has laid out for them.

Best of luck in Omaha and for the rest of the season. Go Saints!!!
                      SLU

Comment

From Qwest Center a few thoughts:

Live Report from. Omaha

Not seeing any of our defensive regulars( miskovic, fensel, generous) out there from last year is a scary thing but other than 2 giveaways - one on a pk, the defense outperformed my expectations.

Shots were even for the game but we really did not have many genuine scoring opportunities (one crossbar and one post though). We were outplayed in the 3rd and I thought that we lacked intensity for much of the game.

I thought Drewiskie had a very good game Kyle Flanagan played well. And give Lowell credit. Their goalie shut us down. Disapointibg score but glad to see the Saints in action.

Petizian had a good game -- he just didn't get the offensive help he needed.

There are 5 players here who didn't dress tonight. I'll bet they'll be out there tomorrow.

Beautiful facility by the way.

I'll be rooting for Army in half an hour.

At least 5 players
                        St. Lawrence University

Comment

SLU will have to step it up tomorrow. No matter who they play. Army and UNO both looking great in a barnburner. UNO just goes ahead 5-4 with 9 to go. This game is being played at way faster pace than UML game. Crowd making a big difference. I think Id rather we play UNO so we can draw some energy from the crowd.
                          St. Lawrence University

Comment

Thanks for the update Bruce. I listened to most of the game on the radio and it sounded as if the offensive chances were pretty limited.

Considering all the scoring we graduated, scoring could be an issue this year. Not that I would expect anything different but Joe seemed pleased by what he said in the post game comments. UML is loaded this year and even though it's early........if we could skate with them and stay with them, then that is a positive sign. I saw an interview where Jack Parker from BU said UML was the favorite in Hockey East.

Wish I was there and please give us another update after tomorrow's game.
                            SLU

Comment

Besides a Clarkson alum, I'm also an Army season ticket holder. Don't look past Army guys. Their top line of Cefchilk, Omilusk, and Meyer could play on any team in the ECAC. They will be disciplined throughout and their fourth line will grind at SLU's best players if they can get the line changes to work out. Clark and Spracklen are very good between the pipes too (I'd imagine you'll see Spracklen Saturday).

The Army team lacks depth and defense. If SLU can pressure their 2nd and 3rd lines, they should do well.
                              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X