Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHA Thoughts and Prognostications: Year 11, The Finale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CHA Thoughts and Prognostications: Year 11, The Finale...

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
    Am I seriously at 7 and 11? I didn't see my name on the list. Thanks

The only way this would look good was as a batting percentage. sigh
    Sorry, oversight. You're on there now (you were 3-4 this week).
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
      Mike, He's never going to "get it"...
      Yeah, I was going to make about the same comment as Mike did but I somehow just knew ... ... yeah, I believe he is hopeless.
      GO PURPS!
      Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by GOBEAVS View Post
        Your prolly just mad cause your chargers just got swept at home by...western michigan...might be a little snap back to reality for UAH
        Yeah, so?? If Bemidji State's holder didn't bobble the snap, BSU would have forced overtime. Oh even won it in regulation if ya had gone for 2.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          Yeah, so?? If Bemidji State's holder didn't bobble the snap, BSU would have forced overtime. Oh even won it in regulation if ya had gone for 2.
          Like i actually care about the football team....this is a hockey site

2009 Frozen Four!

2010 3-peat CHA Regular Season Champs!

Comment

But you post like a dumb redneck football fan, so you can understand our confusion.

And believe me, my state has its share of dumb redneck football fans, so I'm qualified to call 'em as I see 'em.

Prolly.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
              As for the penalty shot, I agree with Geof that it was earned. Bax left his feet, dove and got legs instead of puck. It was a max effort that just came up a little short. ...
              "SECTION 59. a. A player shall not place the stick or any part of the body
              in such a manner that causes an opposing player to trip or fall.
              PENALTY—Minor.
              Note: See interpretation section for clarification of diving sweep check.
              b. A player shall not trip or foul from behind a player in control of the
              puck on the opponent’s side of the center red line, thus preventing a
              reasonable scoring opportunity.
              PENALTY—Penalty shot/optional minor."

I think the rule once read that four conditions had to exist to call a penalty shot, and one of those was that the infraction had to come from behind. Since Baxter was able to get in front for the trip, it probably wouldn't have been called under the rule from many years ago.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that the second WMU goal on Fri. was an indirect result of a linesman's (Parinello) blunder. The UAH team had thought they had cleared the puck from their zone with at least two inches of white showing after the puck had crossed the blue-line. When the WMU player shot the puck back into zone, Parinello gave the "clear" sign. With UAH players "relaxed", WMU jumped on the opportunity and scored.

Comment

We missed the first period on Sat., but UAH played the second period like they were content with losing a close game on Fri. It was nice to see them come back from the second intermission to play the third period with the same intensity that they had played all three periods on Fri.

Comment

I'm sure Mr. Anderson here could fill you in on the inner workings of an school's athletic department, but I'm going to fill ya in on a little bit. All the money that your school teams bring in, all pretty much go into one big pot the athletics department can use to run all the programs there. Even if you donate directly to say, the BSU Men's Hockey fund, all that really does is have more of the money that BSU made from Men's Hockey ticket sales, concessions, and other merchandising sales go to other sports. Now, why should you want BSU football to do good? Simply put, Football generates more potential donors to a school than any other sport out there. The football squad alone would do this, but then if you sit there and think about the cheerleaders and band members, there's a lot of students that are usually outside for about 3 hours every Saturday fall afternoon that are likely to graduate, and then become donors back to the school, and to the athletic department. I'm sure a smart guy like yourself can see how good it could be to have multiple donors donating to BSU athletics can be a good thing for the Hockey Program. It can get them things like new weight rooms, academic advisers that can keep those players eligible enough to play, and other assorted goodies that can help in winning the recruiting battles with other schools.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Whoever had questions about WMU's D has had them answered. Those guys stay at home and are quite hard to get past.

Loved what I saw in the third on Saturday---best period of UAH hockey all weekend. Several scoring opportunities there, and Gill just did a great job of making all the saves.

It's like the conversation Douglas, Ryan Burkholder's dad, and I had in South Bend --- we wanted to see this team 5-5 after the first ten games. But boy, we're disappointed at 3-3.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm sure Mr. Anderson here could fill you in on the inner workings of an school's athletic department, but I'm going to fill ya in on a little bit. All the money that your school teams bring in, all pretty much go into one big pot the athletics department can use to run all the programs there. Even if you donate directly to say, the BSU Men's Hockey fund, all that really does is have more of the money that BSU made from Men's Hockey ticket sales, concessions, and other merchandising sales go to other sports. Now, why should you want BSU football to do good? Simply put, Football generates more potential donors to a school than any other sport out there. The football squad alone would do this, but then if you sit there and think about the cheerleaders and band members, there's a lot of students that are usually outside for about 3 hours every Saturday fall afternoon that are likely to graduate, and then become donors back to the school, and to the athletic department. I'm sure a smart guy like yourself can see how good it could be to have multiple donors donating to BSU athletics can be a good thing for the Hockey Program. It can get them things like new weight rooms, academic advisers that can keep those players eligible enough to play, and other assorted goodies that can help in winning the recruiting battles with other schools.
                      This can not be stated enough. Just rostering 100+ students is one thing (as noted), but you don't even point out the "friend of a friend" factor. As an example, let's say Jonny gets a partial scholarship (maybe only books, or a quarter ride, or heck, maybe he doesn't get any money, he's asked to walk-on) to Bemidji State for football. His girlfriend wants to go to school with him, so all of a sudden, that's another student (who get's no finantial aid). Jonny's buddies all were thinking of going to a local school (say, SW MN State), and now, they all decide to go to BSU just to stay together (let's say, three guys). That's four students plus the football player added to the general student body for one football player.

Now, that's not going to happen for every football player you can find, but I'd bet there's quite a few. Plus, multiply it by 100 rostered kids, as opposed to the 25 on the hockey team, and you can see why football should matter (not to mention that a good portion of the football team is from Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin, therfore, their friends are more likely to bring friends than the hockey kids from Canada are)...

And, as noted, each and every one of those kids turns into a potential donor for the athletic program...
                      Last edited by moose97; 10-25-2009, 03:03 PM.
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        This can not be stated enough. Just rostering 100+ students is one thing (as noted), but you don't even point out the "friend of a friend" factor. As an example, let's say Jonny gets a partial scholarship (maybe only books, or a quarter ride, or heck, maybe he doesn't get any money, he's asked to walk-on) to Bemidji State for football. His girlfriend wants to go to school with him, so all of a sudden, that's another student (who get's no finantial aid). Jonny's buddies all were thinking of going to a local school (say, SW MN State), and now, they all decide to go to BSU just to stay together (let's say, three guys). That's four students plus the football player added to the general student body for one football player.

Now, that's not going to happen for every football player you can find, but I'd bet there's quite a few. Plus, multiply it by 100 rostered kids, as opposed to the 25 on the hockey team, and you can see why football should matter (not to mention that a good portion of the football team is from Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin, therfore, their friends are more likely to bring friends than the hockey kids from Canada are)...

And, as noted, each and every one of those kids turns into a potential donor for the athletic program...
                        Well moose i think your wrong thinking that the football team attracts more people to this school. I know tons of people around campus that the only reason they came to BSU just because of the hockey team. When alot of student look at schools they look to see what good sports teams the school has and in our case we only have hockey that is nationally known so that brings alot of people to this school. I know i wouldnt be at BSU if the hockey team was not here and i can say that for alot of other students at our school, hands down the hockey team brings more students into our school.

2009 Frozen Four!

Comment

If a certain someone is saying he would not be at BSU if they did not have hockey ... well, best be careful- that could be enough to start a movement to drop the program!
                          GO PURPS!
                          Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Well moose i think your wrong thinking that the football team attracts more people to this school. I know tons of people around campus that the only reason they came to BSU just because of the hockey team. When alot of student look at schools they look to see what good sports teams the school has and in our case we only have hockey that is nationally known so that brings alot of people to this school. I know i wouldnt be at BSU if the hockey team was not here and i can say that for alot of other students at our school, hands down the hockey team brings more students into our school.
                            Still doesn't change the fact that Football does bring in a lot of future potential donors to an athletic department. People who participated in some form at a school's sporting events are way more likely to give back to their schools over the average student who went there just to get a degree.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                              If a certain someone is saying he would not be at BSU if they did not have hockey ... well, best be careful- that could be enough to start a movement to drop the program!
                              hahahahahahahahaha thats funny...kind of like your teams record this year

2009 Frozen Four!

Comment

I'm not going to get into a debate about this, but I'll leave it at this - I never said that kids don't go to BSU for hockey (and this year there were likley more kids that went there because of hockey than ever before - heck, I chose NMU partly because of hockey), but, kids make school decisions because of a lot of reasons, and you can't dispute my arguement - that having 100+ students (and their friends) is a huge benefit of having football (and having it do well).
                                Still doesn't change the fact that Football does bring in a lot of future potential donors to an athletic department. People who participated in some form at a school's sporting events are way more likely to give back to their schools over the average student who went there just to get a degree.
                                I'll agree with this as well. The guys who played are more likley to give back (at least directly to the athletic department) than those who sat in the stands, and since football's always gonna win that battle out of sheer numbers, that alone makes the success of the football program importaint to a university's overall athletic success.
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X