'09-'10 Elmira College Warm up Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '09-'10 Elmira College Warm up Thread

It appears that the roster posted is in fact the '08-'09 roster.
    Oh well, we'll see what we have soon enough
    Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
    Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
    Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
      It appears that the roster posted is in fact the '08-'09 roster.
      Oh well, we'll see what we have soon enough

the way to tell is there arent any freshman listed

Comment

I know this is a toatally unrelated question to the current topic but i have to ask this question to you fellow Elmira fans.Why is it that Elmira picked Coach Saul(who had consecutive losing seasons with Potsdam)???? Is it just because he is part of the Elmira Alumni??? Because what gets to me is,now that Elmira has been such a good team these past few years,haveing consecutive winning seasons and doing so well against divisional teams and D-III powerhouse teams,is that now they pick a coach who has had consecutive losing seasons with Potsdam???........I'm sure he's a great coach but why would a team like Elmira with such sucess in the past few years pick a coach that has had consecutive losing seasons with anohter team? I mean i hope they know what their doing down in Elmira.Am i missing something? Thanks!
        Last edited by Pioneers#1; 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM.
        Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
        Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
        Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
        2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
        2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
          I know this is a toatally unrelated question to the current topic but i have to ask this question to you fellow Elmira fans.Why is it that Elmira picked Coach Saul(who had consecutive losing seasons with Potsdam)???? Is it just because he is part of the Elmira Alumni??? Because what gets to me is,now that Elmira has been such a good team these past few years,haveing consecutive winning seasons and doing so well against divisional teams and D-III powerhouse teams,is that now they pick a coach who has had consecutive losing seasons with Potsdam???........I'm sure he's a great coach but why would a team like Elmira with such sucess in the past few years pick a coach that has had consecutive losing seasons with anohter team? I mean i hope they know what their doing down in Elmira.Am i missing something? Thanks!
          Alum
          Yes
          Bears are not that good
          Maybe because he got as much out of bad talent that he could. If he had good talent, the sky may be the limit.
          Ask Prezde
          No, but this only counts as one post.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

what an interseting format you put your responce in lol......um ok....lets hear a responce from PrezDe then....

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
              By putting it this way, are you now saying that you are an Elmira Fan?
              Saul helped recruit some of the players on the current EC team so he does have an advantage there. Remember, he also assistant coached at EC. He will do just fine

Comment

Hahahaha....not a chance jconnor,I'm a UC fan for life.Thanks for answers....that answerd many questions for me.

Comment

Pio,

I believe Elmira hired Coach Saul for four reasons.

First, Elmira College is a college like none other. It's traditions and atmosphere are very unique compared to most other colleges and universities. Once you go to Elmira you truly are "part" of the college for life and they do everything in your power to make you feel that way from mandatory campus wide organized student activities, Mountain Day, Cult Day to all freshmen doing their homework together in the hallway like Columbia does etc.

Coach Saul knows these traditions and has experienced them as a student-athlete and coach so he'll already be well versed in how to deal with these questions if when they come up in the recruiting process unlike a new outside coach would.

Aaron is not only an alumnus and four year starter for the purple and gold, he also was the assistant coach for a few seasons before leaving for the Potsdam head coaching gig.

Second, Saul's wife is also an alumnus of Elmira and I'm sure is very happy to be back in the Elmira area for a variety of reasons. We all know a happy wife equals a happy home

Third, to go deeper into the first point, Elmira loves bringing back alumni to work at that school. Many of their head coaching positions have been or still are held by almuni of the school. Greg Fargo was hired as the EC women's coach last season after being a goaltending coach at Canisius for a few seasons. He took over a Frozen Four team as well so the program was no slouch to hand over to a coach with no prior head coaching experience. He did very well in his first season and was much more well liked than his predecessor who came from "outside" the Elmira community.

After Glen Thomaris stepped down as the coach after the 1999-2000 season i believe? They hired Ceglarski who was the assistant coach at the time and knew the team's systems etc. They've done basically the same thing this time hiring Saul to take over for Ceglarski who knows the program inside and out after six years as an assistant coach in Tim's system.

Fourth, don't read too far into Saul's record at Potsdam. He inherited an awful team there and turned them into a decent club with a lot of promise. I would have picked them to finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the SUNYAC this season had Saul returned for his third season. Potsdam was playing solid hockey down the stretch last season beating Oswego at the Campus Center on the final weekend of the season. He recruited some pretty good players there as last year they had one of the best group of freshmen in the SUNYAC.

Some people are happy to see it stay in house, some people are displeased because they feel nothing will ever change at Elmira and the team will fall flat on their faces again when it counts like has happened the past two seasons.

Obviously it's too early to tell with practice JUST finally starting today. We'll know a little bit more come next weekend when Elmira and coach Saul are thrown right into the fire with a home and home against Oswego, who is in the same boat losing 14 playes from last year's squad.
                  Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

do what you will
                    Last edited by ballgame; 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09
                      Alexei Semenov didn't sign with the Rangers because his wife wouldn't let him.

How's it freaky? It was well known within the Elmira College community.
                      Is this the EC community? I know you like to be “in the know” but don’t think its appropriate.
                      Do what you will.

PS Sather was wrong too. Its not why Semenov didn’t sign. He wanted more money

Comment

ODD, I thought the Sauls had a good relationship with Potsdam and that was a major factor why they went back up there.
                        Regardless, it's nobodys business but theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Pio,

First, Elmira College is a college like none other. It's traditions and atmosphere are very unique compared to most other colleges and universities. Once you go to Elmira you truly are "part" of the college for life and they do everything in your power to make you feel that way from mandatory campus wide organized student activities, Mountain Day, Cult Day to all freshmen doing their homework together in the hallway like Columbia does etc.

Coach Saul knows these traditions and has experienced them as a student-athlete and coach so he'll already be well versed in how to deal with these questions if when they come up in the recruiting process unlike a new outside coach would.

Aaron is not only an alumnus and four year starter for the purple and gold, he also was the assistant coach for a few seasons before leaving for the Potsdam head coaching gig.

Second, Saul's wife is also an alumnus of Elmira and I'm sure is very happy to be back in the Elmira area for a variety of reasons. We all know a happy wife equals a happy home

Third, to go deeper into the first point, Elmira loves bringing back alumni to work at that school. Many of their head coaching positions have been or still are held by almuni of the school. Greg Fargo was hired as the EC women's coach last season after being a goaltending coach at Canisius for a few seasons. He took over a Frozen Four team as well so the program was no slouch to hand over to a coach with no prior head coaching experience. He did very well in his first season and was much more well liked than his predecessor who came from "outside" the Elmira community.

After Glen Thomaris stepped down as the coach after the 1999-2000 season i believe? They hired Ceglarski who was the assistant coach at the time and knew the team's systems etc. They've done basically the same thing this time hiring Saul to take over for Ceglarski who knows the program inside and out after six years as an assistant coach in Tim's system.

Fourth, don't read too far into Saul's record at Potsdam. He inherited an awful team there and turned them into a decent club with a lot of promise. I would have picked them to finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the SUNYAC this season had Saul returned for his third season. Potsdam was playing solid hockey down the stretch last season beating Oswego at the Campus Center on the final weekend of the season. He recruited some pretty good players there as last year they had one of the best group of freshmen in the SUNYAC.

Some people are happy to see it stay in house, some people are displeased because they feel nothing will ever change at Elmira and the team will fall flat on their faces again when it counts like has happened the past two seasons.

Obviously it's too early to tell with practice JUST finally starting today. We'll know a little bit more come next weekend when Elmira and coach Saul are thrown right into the fire with a home and home against Oswego, who is in the same boat losing 14 playes from last year's squad.

Thanks Bud.

Comment

I heard from two credible sources that there were supposed to be a double header of inter squad scrimmages today for EC, but when I just drove past a few minutes ago there were only 4 cars in the packing lot. Must be the games were earlier in the day? Anybody have anything to report?

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Tire View Post
                              I heard from two credible sources that there were supposed to be a double header of inter squad scrimmages today for EC, but when I just drove past a few minutes ago there were only 4 cars in the packing lot. Must be the games were earlier in the day? Anybody have anything to report?
                              I think they started at 1pm or 2pm this afternoon.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Pio,

The second point isnt really a reason why Elmira hired Saul...it might be a reason why Saul decided to go back to Elmira
                                Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                                2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Working...
                                X