Ferris State Hockey 2009-10 - 2 minutes for slashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris State Hockey 2009-10 - 2 minutes for slashing

Let's try this again, as I deleted the first one. We're off to a great start already.

Tomorrow's exhibition is a 2pm face off. If there's more than 1,000 I'd be surprised, and happy. It's just the way exhibitions go at Ferris, I suppose.

I have very few expectations for this team. I think we're somewhere between 8-10th in the league. Last year I thought we'd go to the Joe. Look where that went.

There are two places that I'm not concerned in the least: goaltending and defense. Pat Nagle and Taylor Nelson will be fine in net. I've liked Redmond and Wietecha since they stepped on the ice as freshmen. The other defensemen (Case, Billins, etc.) will be fine. Redmond returns as our top leading scorer. That ought to tell you something right there...

Which leads me to this: Where are we going to get our goals from? Connolly and Lewicki led this team with a whopping 10 last year, and Connolly is gone. Think about that for a minute. Exactly two guys on this team hit double digits last year. Oullette and Alexander appear to have an idea of how to put the puck in the net, but something always seems to happen once Bob Daniels and Co. get a hold of the freshmen. We'll see.

Discipline. This teams needs it on the ice, and they need it in buckets. The last four years, PIM and national rank:
    2008-2009: 22.4/gm (most in D-1 by over 2 minutes/game)
    2007-2008: 18.1/gm (8th in D-1)
    2006-2007: 19.7/gm (12th)
    2005-2006: 18.0/gm (34th)

2005-2006 and 2007-2008 produced the two lowest PIM/game totals, and by far the two best seasons out of the past 4. I do not believe that this is a coincidence. This team must stay out of the penalty box to be competitive. FWIW, we were at 18.2 PIM/gm (11th nationally) in 2002-03, our CCHA championship season.

Two other guys must raise their games: Cody Chupp and Blair Riley. Both had very disappointing junior seasons and are now captains on this team, along with Zach Redmond (Chupp has the C while the other two have the A's). Chupp went from 11-19-30 as a sophomore to 7-5-12. Riley went from 14-10-24 to 7-9-16 last year. As I said before, Redmond is the leading returning scorer. When a defenseman is your best returning scorer, that tells you something about your forwards' performance.

The non-conference schedule, quite frankly, is garbage. Canisius, Connecticut and Robert Morris to start the season, and then the Wisconsin tournament (which I do like). There's no reason this team cannot get out to a 5-1 start. I said something like that last year, and look what happened. I stand by the above comments. Expect one, maybe two, crowds above 2,000 this year and everything else in the 1500-1600 range.

I hope some of the players read this. They'll probably think that I'm an idiot (which I am, but that's neither here nor there). I hope it lights a bit of a fire underneath their asses. If they blow this off and go do what they did last year, we're back to the same old Ferris that wins 14 games a year, which just happens to be what I think we're doing this year.

Prediction: 14-20-4, 9th place in the conference, out in the first round.

Let the season begin.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-03-2009, 09:54 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Ferris State Hockey 2009-10 - 2 minutes for slashing

Great way to start a real season thread, and a helluva summary.

From an outsiders perspective, I've gotta say that the discipline, or lack thereof, has always been the one thing about Ferris that stands out to me as undermining their potential. It's hard to put your team in a position to win if you're spending time in the box, especially with stupid penalties taken at inopportune times. You may be able to get away with that against the likes of BG, Western, and maybe even Lake. But it won't net wins against the top tier teams. Even if they can just bring the PIM's more in-line with the league average, it could add 3-4 more games to the "W" column.

Comment

Fire Kirinovic
      Fire Daniels
      Fire Pierce

That about covers things.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Oh, good grief, we lost to Wilfrid Laurier 3-1. There better be a good explanation, like the bigger scorers didn't dress, or the 3rd stringer played in net, or something.

Thank God I've got Adrian hockey to watch.
        Last edited by Hammer; 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Oh, good grief, we lost to Wilfrid Laurier 3-1. There better be a good explanation, like the bigger scorers didn't dress, or the 3rd stringer played in net, or something.

Bowling Green can hang seven on them, but Ferris only manages one in 50+ shots?

Comment

Well, apparently the 3rd string goaltender did go, and one of the top lines did not dress. I'm told the shot totals were 56-26.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Bowling Green can hang seven on them, but Ferris only manages one in 50+ shots?
              umm, BG may be able to hang 7 on tech too. NMU just hung 11 on a team tech just squeaked by. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyschmockey View Post
                umm, BG may be able to hang 7 on tech too. NMU just hung 11 on a team tech just squeaked by. Just sayin.
                Did I ever say Tech was somehow better? I wasn't trashtalking, I'm just surprised. Obviously WL's goalie had a big night or something (much like Ryerson's backup goalie had against MTU).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Did I ever say Tech was somehow better? I wasn't trashtalking, I'm just surprised. Obviously WL's goalie had a big night or something (much like Ryerson's backup goalie had against MTU).
                  Sorry, as you can imagine after being trashed by the media and the coaches, I'm a little sensitive. I know that tech is in the same boat. Good luck this season, Let's hope the pundits are all wet.

Comment

Wilfrid Laurier?? Wasn't that the name of the place where Drew worked at during the Drew Carey Show??
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      Wilfrid Laurier?? Wasn't that the name of the place where Drew worked at during the Drew Carey Show??
                      That was the problem: they had Mimi in goal.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        That was the problem: they had Mimi in goal.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to take any shots on that five hole either.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't want to take any shots on that five hole either.
                          You're in rare form. But I beg to ask the question... what is worse, a dude walking around in a hot dog outfit, or a large woman, draped in a kaleidoscope circus tent, caked in makeup? And what would happen if they met? Pass the mustard? Wake him up when it is over?

Mimi: an inflated cross between Cyndi Lauper and the Progressive Insurance girl.

Oh, and Hammer... you went from the Tigers to Ferris Hockey. Feel like Bill Murray yet?

Comment

Hey. You forgot about the Lions.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Hey. You forgot about the Lions.
                              You blame me? I may be a bitter, cynical curd, but I'd never pile on like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X