Originally posted by nvrpld View Post
    SCSU Fans WCHA Fans its time for a SCSU Thread
    Woo-Hoo! Now what!?!
    The Sickest Hockey Goal Ever!

Comment

Re: Scsu Huskies

Originally posted by Choirboy View Post
      Woo-Hoo! Now what!?!
      Anybody see the weekend series? What kind of team are we to expect this year?

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post
        I think you'll be in the mix with UMD for the 3rd/4th spot in the league.. Your huge group of senior experience could far outweigh anything we've got this year. Who knows.. it could be UMD struggling for that 4th home ice spot with SCSU firmly in third.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Goaltender Ashley Nixon played well in the Friday 4-2 win over Niagara. She also played well a week ago, holding Team USA to one goal on 34 shots (she played the second period for the WCHA All-Stars and played the first period the next night for the Huskies, holding USA scoreless on 17 shots).

Lots of newcomers for the Huskies--couple of freshmen defenders from Alberta, and a couple of new forwards in Lane from Roseau and Dahl from Stillwater, looked good. Defense should be faster and better. Returnees Hollie Roberts, Caitlin Hogan and Meaghan Pezon all looked very good.

The feel-good story is that of defender Danielle Hirsch. Last year she broke her ankle in 7 places against the Gophers. It was such an injury that the question was would she ever play again, not when she would play. But she worked extremely hard to rehab the leg--including a few surgeries--and was back on the ice for the WCHA All-Stars. She played the first game against Niagara and was one of the 3 stars, scoring a beautiful goal after a slick move around a defender and then a low snap shot that beat the goalie. She can only play one game on a weekend, as her leg swells up and gives her some trouble. I am sure that in a few weeks, that won't be an issue.

Maybe the toughest, most perservering player in college hockey.

I think the Huskies will have their best team on the ice this season--more depth, very good goaltending, and lots of players that have experience. Getting into the top three in this Olympic year? Maybe not, but they should certainly push for that, and at the least, hold off the Sioux, Buckeyes and Mavericks from the fourth position.

Comment

I'm amazed that Danielle is already playing again. Great to hear that she's playing well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post

Get your speed skates on.....the Huskies recruited very, very well this past season. They have added some very skilled Freshmen to complement an already highly skilled, upperclassmen laden squad . They played both games missing some key skaters due to injury and illness. When they get to full strength....watch out!

The weekend series resulted in a split, with St. Cloud St. winning on Friday, and Niagara, winning on saturday. Fridays game was played very well by both squads with SCSU showing a bit more stamina and giddyup in the final period. Even though they were outshot heavily in the period (due to penalties), St. Cloud had some amazing goal scoring with Hogan scoring her most fantastic goal ever! Niagara executes their Powerplay extremely well and with more of the great goaltending that they showed, they will be a thorn in the side with whomever they play.

In Saturdays game, the Huskies had one of their best periods of play, in recent memory, during the first period. Their TEAM play was outstanding. Unfortunately, they came out of that frame being down 1-0. As the game wore on, the Huskies made that early season mistake of trying to win the game on an individual basis. They have the players that can do it, on occasion, but in the end they were left with many meaingless long shots that offered no rebounds or chances for tip-ins. Nevertheless, they showed promise to be one of the school's, best teams ever. Nixon has been outstanding in the nets and will probably get the majority, if not all, of the playing time. VanDenakker was in goal for Saturdays game and she has to be one of the best back-up goalies in the WCHA.

With so many new faces to deal with, Coach Giesen and his staff have done a great job in putting the pieces of the puzzle together, in getting this team to fly on the ice. TEAM play, in every zone, will put them over the top, and.....in this year of parity, the TEAMS who can best execute their coaches plans and who find a way to believe in themselves, will be playing for the Championship in March.

GO HUSKIES!!

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING......BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!
              Last edited by Shot"N"Goal; 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM. Reason: Ditto

Comment

I'm not thinking about March yet...I do hope the Huskies can grab a couple points this weekend.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I think a split this weekend is probable...it is always a war with Duluth

I will try to post on a regular basis... will also try to see most games

Hope to hear often from the sin bin crew ... parents too

Comment

I was kind of surprised that Niagara was able to get a split. When I've seen them in the past, they didn't have a lot of speed, and I didn't think a quick Husky team on the big ice of NHC would be a good match up for them. Have the Purple Eagles improved their team speed to allow them to keep up with you?
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

SCSU only dressed 2 goalies for home games? Is the #3 goalie injured?
                      Last edited by videohockey; 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM.
                      "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        I was kind of surprised that Niagara was able to get a split. When I've seen them in the past, they didn't have a lot of speed, and I didn't think a quick Husky team on the big ice of NHC would be a good match up for them. Have the Purple Eagles improved their team speed to allow them to keep up with you?
                        Niagara has one very good line and set of defense. Also, an above average Goalie. We were faster, but the Purple Eagles just played some good old-time positional hockey with their forwards pretty much skating the lanes and their wingers guarding the points in the Def. zone. They mustered most of their shots, on the Power Play (which was a good one). Add their new coach to the mix and this team will get an occasional surprise win.

Make no mistake, St. Cloud St. let that second game get away. We outshot them and had them scurrying around in the third period. It was the kind of game that you just wish you could start over again and everything would turn out as it should have.. Hopefully, with the start of conference play, the Huskies will put it all together for what still looks like a very promising season.

Comment

Re: St. Cloud St. Huskies

Caitlin Hogan is off to a rip-roaring start this season. "Read all about it"

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletic...&storyID=29847

Comment

Great for her!!! She's such a hard worker, a great role model and an even better person away from the rink. Great start to her senior year.

Comment

Very big series this weekend against the second ranked team in the Nation.

Gotta believe that whomever wins the bragging rights, amongst the Minnesota teams in the WCHA, has a good chance to take the league title. No diss meant for ND, OSU and WISC., but these interstate league games are all high-stake, intensive affairs and any Minny team coming away with the most points (out of 32 available), has a favored chance to wear the regular season crown.

Lets Go Huskies!!!.....Work Hard!...Play Smart!...Make it Happen!!!

If you haven't had a chance to check out the upcomming renovation plans for the National Hockey Center (NHC) at St. Cloud St., click on the link below and take the fly-over. The NHC will soon be one of the most state-of-the-art arenas in the country.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletic...ckeyCenter.asp

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!!........BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X