• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Or 2 against BU last year!

Raise a BANNER!!!!!!!
    No 2 against BC this year is much more of a thrill. Maybe UVM could purchase that BC banner up for auction and hang it in the rafters. Next time BC comes to the Gutt they could torch it.

Speaking of banners why did BC replace theirs?? Were they all worn out....kind of like all of your little quips??
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
      I dont think anyone has a problem with players celebrating after a goal, it's just a little odd to see a player raise his stick and pump his fist after putting a puck past his own goalie in warm ups.
      Sorry... I guess I misunderstood Post #554
      I could have sworn a VT player was getting trashed for celebrating.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        What does the USAToday poll and the INCH powerrankings tell you??
        I can personally write my own power rankings. Once they're on the screen, they'll matter just as much as the INCH Power Rankings.

Let's see.

#1 Union
        #2 Northeastern
        #3 RPI
        #4 BC
        #5 St. Lawrence Women's Hockey
        #6 Princeton (Hobey Baker rink!)
        #7 UMass
        #8 Yale

There ya go, Yale is lower in the power rankings and Vermont isn't even ranked. Har har har.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
          I can personally write my own power rankings. Once they're on the screen, they'll matter just as much as the INCH Power Rankings.

Actually the won't matter as much as rankings and polls from multiple people with some hockey knowledge. You can write them but they mean about as much as the rest of the garble you write.....zero.

The facts are Yale was ranked higher last year then BC and currently are ranked higher then BC in the USCHO poll, the USA today poll, and the INCH power rankings. The other fact of note is UVM beat Yale and BC twice.

Comment

Maybe UVM could purchase that BC banner up for auction and hang it in the rafters.
            Great idea, that way you UVM fans would actually be able to see a men's ice hockey national championship banner hanging in your building in your lifetime.

For the rest, I can't believe you're putting more weight into a poll than you are PWR... wait a minute... yes I can. BC will send Yale a postcard from the NCAA tournament (and UVM too for that matter).
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Great idea, that way you UVM fans would actually be able to see a men's ice hockey national championship banner hanging in your building in your lifetime.

For the rest, I can't believe you're putting more weight into a poll than you are PWR... wait a minute... yes I can. BC will send Yale a postcard from the NCAA tournament (and UVM too for that matter).
              Yeah because a PWR in December is set in stone. TUC are picked at the beginning of the season, COP records are determined by using a lottery system and H2H points are based on results from last year. Those PWR sure are accurate???? That has to be one of the dumbest comments you have made Nick and that's a long list. Good job, a new bar for you. Maybe you could ask your gram to knit you a banner to hang in your dorm room.

Comment

Yeah because a PWR in December is set in stone. TUC are picked at the beginning of the season, COP records are determined by using a lottery system and H2H points are based on results from last year. Those PWR sure are accurate???? That has to be one of the dumbest comments you have made Nick and that's a long list. Good job, a new bar for you. Maybe you could ask your gram to knit you a banner to hang in your dorm room.
                Those PWR are based on simple math. The polls are subjective rankings based on people's opinions. You're arguing that people's opinions are more accurate than math? I guess if 40 people said that 2+2=5 in their opinion, that you'd believe that before the simple math that says that 2+2=4, right?
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                  Those PWR are based on simple math. The polls are subjective rankings based on people's opinions. You're arguing that people's opinions are more accurate than math? I guess if 40 people said that 2+2=5 in their opinion, that you'd believe that before the simple math that says that 2+2=4, right?
                  Please show me where I said that. What I said was PWR in December are pretty much worthless. ScottK, I know you aren't at the top of your class, but you could be far better then the 10th percentile if you just tried reading. No go back to your own thread troll.

ANd I am sure you are aware that the PWR require a team to have played at least 10 games against top 25 opponents which UML has not (4), so I guess they aren't even ranked in the PWR right??? Where as UVM has (10) so I guess UVM would be ahead of UML??
                  Last edited by jcarter7669; 12-10-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    Sorry... I guess I misunderstood Post #554
                    I could have sworn a VT player was getting trashed for celebrating.
                    Yeah, but is was from Grantfan...........Nuf said!

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Wow, you really are missing some chromosomes there jcarter.

While I can appreciate your desire to put the most weight on the poll that fits your ability to counter my logical arguments and defend Yale at all costs (which is right up there with grantfan's defense of AFA as a good team because they defend our country), the polls also are not set in stone and will also change as the season progresses. They are both fluid as the results affect them. One is by math and one is by people's opinion. While I like trusting my own opinion over math in a lot of cases, the major fault with any human poll is the preseason bias and how the results affect them. The human nature of the pollsters is not to rank them each week but to move teams up and down based on results. Early on, say, Dec 10th, the polls are still influenced too much by the preseason bias. Mathematical formulas have no such bias.

You can argue with yourself until you get red in the face, but we all know that the poll you know and love so much right now means ZERO when it comes time to pick the teams in the NCAA selection process. They use things like RPI, H2H, COP, TUC and others to compare teams and create a ranking model. BC is far superior to Yale in many of these things right now (most notable the heavily weighted RPI) and as a result has a higher PWR (aside from being a vastly superior team on the ice). You can bet a lot of the teams near the top of the PWR right now will be up near the top at the end of the year as well (Bemidji, BC, Miami, Denver as a few examples). Barring disasters they are in the NCAAs and with a good record the rest of the way they are higher seeded teams if not 1 seeds.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Please show me where I said that. What I said was PWR in December are pretty much worthless. ScottK, I know you aren't at the top of your class, but you could be far better then the 10th percentile if you just tried reading. No go back to your own thread troll.

ANd I am sure you are aware that the PWR require a team to have played at least 10 games against top 25 opponents which UML has not (4), so I guess they aren't even ranked in the PWR right??? Where as UVM has (10) so I guess UVM would be ahead of UML??
                        Glad to see that you know how the PWR works. Record vs TUC is ONE component of the formula. So, just because UVM has played more teams against TUC now, it doesn't mean that are ahead of UML. Also, UML has played 6 games against TUC thus far, not 4. Perhaps you should take your own advice about reading.

The fact remains, you're still trying to argue that subjective opinions are carrying more weight than a mathematical formula. You don't like PWR because it's too early? How about KRACH? UML and BC are both ahead of Yale (and UVM) there as well. KRACH not good enough for you? How about RPI? BC is 4th, UML is 12th, Yale is 18th, UVM is 20th.

My point, no matter what statistical method you want to use Yale (and Vermont) are not as good as BC or Lowell so far this year.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                          I still think BC is a soft team. Exhibit A, lousy, crummy, stinky, icky, ishy UVM, with its awful defense/goaltending, right Dick, beat them 3-2 after being run out of the building the evening before. Where's the guts in that? Though, to be fair, Muse was sensational!!!!!!!!!!!
                          ?

did you forget to take your meds?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick suckmeoff Papagiorgio View Post
                            Wow, you really are missing some chromosomes there jcarter.
                            Nope I've checked. They are all there.

[QUOTE=Nick imasucka Papagiorgio;4511124]
                            the polls also are not set in stone and will also change as the season progresses. They are both fluid as the results affect them.
                            [quote]

I never argued they were set in stone and I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              Glad to see that you know how the PWR works. Record vs TUC is ONE component of the formula.
                              And I simply gave you ONE example of why PWR doesn't matter. If you can't figure that out you need to ask your mom to buy you a helmet before you get hurt.

Originally posted by Scat View Post
                              So, just because UVM has played more teams against TUC now, it doesn't mean that are ahead of UML.
                              nope, but because UML hasn't played 10 they are ineligible, putting VT ahead.

Originally posted by Scrackhead View Post
                              The fact remains, you're still trying to argue that subjective opinions are carrying more weight than a mathematical formula.
                              No Im not arguing anything of the sort. I said its too early to use PWR or anyother method. I said nothing about polls. Try and keep up lil fella.

Originally posted by Skeetter View Post
                              My point, no matter what statistical method you want to use Yale (and Vermont) are not as good as BC or Lowell so far this year.
                              Are you seriously trying to make friends with Nick, try and get in good with someone else so you don't feel like such a putz?? That is pathetic.

And umm, I don't want to break this to you but, UML is what 2-3-1 against teams about 25th ?? And haven't played a team better then 13th. Yeah that's "real good." Or did you just throw BC in there because they actually are good and you want to link the two together.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669
                                nope, but because UML hasn't played 10 they are ineligible, putting VT ahead.
                                Again, please learn how the PWR works. UML is not "ineligible" because they haven't played 10 TUC. It means that component isn't used in the calculations.

No Im not arguing anything of the sort. I said its too early to use PWR or anyother method. I said nothing about polls. Try and keep up lil fella.
                                Oh really?
                                The facts are Yale was ranked higher last year then BC and currently are ranked higher then BC in the USCHO poll, the USA today poll, and the INCH power rankings.
                                And umm, I don't want to break this to you but, UML is what 2-3-1 against teams about 25th ?? And haven't played a team better then 13th.
                                And Vermont's 4-5-1 is something to brag about? When Lowell plays BC 3 times (which they will in the 2nd half), they'll have played someone higher than 13th. I'll ignore the fact that UMass is tied with Lowell for 12th and assume that's who you are using as 13th.

Will you still use this argument after UVM plays SLU, Dartmouth, and UAH (all teams that Lowell has already played or could play in the next 3 weeks)?

Comment

Working...
                                X