X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
    JC, do you not consider Nilsson-Roos, Albertson, STALBERG, and Franzon blue chippers?
    Nilsson-Roos has ok numbers, and I think appears to be avg, to maybe above average so no.

Stalberg, hard to say, so I would say no. I haven't seen him play and although from comments made with regards to him it would appear one of his strengths is being more defensively minded then Vik his numbers for Frolunder are considerably less then that of Vik's who was not really sought after as a college recruit. Moreover until Vik broke out last year he was an avg. player. So, I would say no to Sebastion. But I can only really base that on how Vik did, and that's not fair considering they play different styles.

Albertson had 29 points in almost 60 games..... I think that does not rise to the level of "excellent" either.

Franzon maybe, I don't know that much about him, but he was posted almost as many points as Albertson as a defensemen and was selected an all-star so I guess that he would be leaning towards being a top prospect.
    Last edited by jcarter7669; 10-02-2009, 10:16 AM.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Sunday UVM plays NB in an exhibition match :

Who starts in net?

Madore

Which Freshman make the lineup?

Pacan, McCarthy, Franzon, Stalberg

Does a Freshman record a point?

Assist to Pacan

Which Forward has the most points?

Stacey

Which Defensmen ?

Medvec

I know predictions are pointless but they can be fun....

Comment

Good analysis of Vermont's potentially not blue chippers, JC.

So, what do you know that makes McCarthy a blue chipper?

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
          Good analysis of Vermont's potentially not blue chippers, JC.

So, what do you know that makes McCarthy a blue chipper?
          I didn't say he was. I just stated that IMO if UVM had one it would be McCarthy. I like the fact that he has put up numbers at about a half PPG while playing at a high level of competition including many college teams. In 3 games against hockey east competition he had 1g, 1a. So last year he was able to compete at this level. I expect that only to improve.

Comment

Former University of Vermont captain Jaime Sifers ‘06 has earned a spot on the 23-man roster with the Minnesota Wild and will begin the NHL season on Saturday when Minnesota visits Columbus at 7 p.m. Sifers signed a one-year contract with the Wild this summer.

Sifers recorded two assists and 18 penalty minutes in 23 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 2008-09 season. He recorded 14 goals and 44 assists for 58 points in 205 games with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL from 2006-2009.

Sifers was just the second three-time captain in Vermont’s history and he played in 143 games in his career recording 15 goals and 55 assists for 70 points. He was named the ECAC’s Best Defensive Defenseman in 2004-05 and was an ECAC Second Team All-Star that season. He was named to the ECAC All-Rookie Team in 2002-03 and was an honorable mention Hockey East All-Star in 2005-06.
            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

About UNB

The University of New Brunswick (UNB) Varsity Reds are not your typical CIS team. They play in the AUS (Atlantic University Sport) conference, the most competitive of the three CIS conferences. Last year they finished first in the AUS, but lost out to Saint Mary's (SMU) in the AUS championship. Thanks to the rotating wildcard, UNB was still able to advance to Nationals, where they won the University Cup, their second national championship in three years (and two years ago the Alberta goalie stood on his head to steal the win).

Nine players are gone from last year's championship team, replaced by eight recruits -- all but one of whom come from Major Junior. Wednesday night they played the AHL's Portland Pirates in Maine. While they lost 4-2, it was tied 2-2 after two and they outshot the pros 36-22.

Even though the will be playing Vermont less than 20 hours after playing UMASS, I may be the only one on this board who believes UNB might win.

You will find UNB older, probably a bit bigger, and maybe a bit slower than Vermont. I believe experience is an asset, and the core of this team has played in three straight national championship games. They should be taking this game very seriously, as there is a lot of team pride.

Now I say all of that, and they might just crap the bed after a long road trip (they left Fredericton Wednesday morning) and you get your easy victory!
              Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 10-02-2009, 04:04 PM.
              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Looks like NB will be a good challenge for the cats. Im guessing Sneddon will be skating most of the young guys to see what theyve got and this could very well be a close contest. Seeing that NB out shot the pirates (that may have been their roster before sending guys back to ECHL) sounds like theyve got a respectable team. Hope UVM can come out strong and get a little confidence before facing a very strong denver team... Will be interesting to see how the freshman look...

Comment

Do they get to dress extra players for an exhibition game?

I see that NB was the only canadian college to pick up a win yesterday. They should give the Cats a good battle, which is what the cats need before heading out to Denver for a two game set with one of the top teams in any preseason poll.

Getting a couple of points in Denver will be important to UVM's NCAA bid over six months from now....

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    Do they get to dress extra players for an exhibition game?
                    2 extra players get to dress. Most teams have 1 each forward and defenseman.
                    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Looks like UVM dressed 2 extra defensemen. Forwards not playing today are Milo, Stacey, McCarthy, Anctil and Leonard. Radio announcer says Milo is out indefinitely due to foot injury. That hurts as it sounds like the coaching staff is really counting on his production this season. No word on the other forwards, if they are injured or not.
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Not a bad effort from the cats, NB got two quick goals before the cats had a chance to shake off the rust. The offense really didn't get started for UVM until the second period and NB has a heck of a goaltender.

The freshman line of Stalberg, Pacan, Nilsoon-Roos looked good. They had a lot of ice time. Stalberg looked to be behind everything timing wise, couple of times had opportunities at tip ins etc, but that will come. He seemed to be in good position a lot of the time and has good instinct. Nilson-Roos is another spark for the team to replace Lenes, the kid is quick and has good skills with the puck, moreover for being one of the smaller guys he has no fear of throwing the body around. This guy impressed me the most of the freshman.

The vets looked good, but with Milo and Stacey missing there was something missing. It will be a big negative to the team if those two miss a lot of time.

Comment

Thanks for the game update.

Any word on Milo & Stacey? Missing those two guys will hurt us big time.

Also, is McCarthy hurt or was he a healthy scratch?

Comment

Umm, what is the deal with Milo and Stacey?

Missing them for long will more than "hurt us big time", it will deep six the entire season. They are likely to be two of our top 3 scorers this year. I think we'd really struggle without both of them.

Information on their status would be apprciated.

Comment

Wow, while UML fans fire up this thread, UVM hockey games seem to kill it.

During the autograph session, Justin Milo said he expected to be back playing in 3 or 4 weeks and Wahs said he was OK and could have played, but rest was more important.

I thought the team competed hard and just seemed to be missing play makers at certain moments. New Brunswick is a very good team and was a great opponent.

Roloff looked great, Brayden Irwin was a physical force and Dean Strong-like on face-offs. It seemed like he won them automatically.

Pacan looked very strong on the wing and his physical approach should get him playing time. It looks like Nilsson-Roos has skills and energy that can help the team. Herrington looked much more comfortable on the ice, which is a natural progression but good to see. Great of him to spot and hit Downing with that pass.

Downing looked like he might be ready to emerge as a player, aggressive, skated hard, great shot.

I will always feel comfortable with Madore in goal, but is Spillane ever going to play? Or should he just circle Merrimack and PC on the schedule?

The team's energy seemed good. The crowd was pretty into it.

I that yesterday was not a bad start to the season.

Comment

I would say that was the best Canadian team we have seen in a long time and can believe they beat Umass and BC last year.

Playing I think its 7th game was the big key for UNB helping them jump out to the quick lead(up 3-0 on Umass after one period as well) After the second goal Vermont seemed to get started and outplayed them for a long stretch before it evened out in the third.

The effort was there lets hope the line start clicking.
                                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                                X