This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Very nice to see Milo back. So much for indefinite....

For the most part I like the lineup changes. surprised to see Lawson sit when Medvec, Cullity and Millier each took a pair of penalties last weekend.

Comment

Not a great start to this one, but very satisfied and impressed with the team's poise. UVM absolutely dominated Lowell in the third period and really took it to them. They could have won this game 5-3 if Hamilton hadn't been sharp. I thought Lowell would have "no problem disposing of UVM" (according to numerous UML fans). UVM outshot UML 37-22 including two hit posts. I think the stats speak for themselves. UVM didnt play their best hockey in the first two periods, but really showed what they're capable of in the third. UVM has to work on their consistency. UML has a crapload to work on as well. But hey, that's why the season's as long as it is; room for improvement for both squads.
      Last edited by midge843; 11-06-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
        Not a great start to this one, but very satisfied and impressed with the team's poise. UVM absolutely dominated Lowell in the third period and really took it to them. They could have won this game 5-3 if Hamilton hadn't been sharp. I thought Lowell would have "no problem disposing of UVM" (according to numerous UML fans). UVM outshot UML 37-22 including two hit posts. I think the stats speak for themselves. UVM didnt play their best hockey in the first two periods, but really showed what they're capable of in the third. UVM has to work on their consistency. UML has a crapload to work on as well. But hey, that's why the season's as long as it is; room for improvement for both squads.
        And Lowell could have went up 4-1 and not taken two dumb penalties. See how much fun the "what if" game is?
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

what if justin milo's right arm had fallen off his body midway through the third period?

WHOLE NEW BALLGAME

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            And Lowell could have went up 4-1 and not taken two dumb penalties. See how much fun the "what if" game is?
            Spin in any way you want if you saw the game you know who the better team was and who took the point and ran. Just look at the quotes from both coaches who had totally opposite feelings about a 3-3 game.
            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Good bounce back game for the Cats. They could have packed it up down 3-1 despite even territorial play to that point - maybe even a slight UVM advantage. This gives me hope that the Merrimack and Maine games were just aberrations and are behind them. But only time will tell. One thing for sure is the the Cats need to start getting some HE points....

too bad they could not get the winner, but at least the effort was there and they did not let UML get much of a sniff in the 3rd or OT.

I thought the UVM defense played well for a change. Forwards did a good job carrying the puck into the O zone and forechecking.
              Not much trouble clearing the D zone either. Only complaint was not finishing more of the chances - 2 on 1's or jamming home rebounds. Hamilton played well but would have liked to see the Cats stuff a couple more home.

I liked the forward lines much better than the prior games. I like Leonards energy but he must stay out of the box.

Still too many penalties.

Getting Milo back was HUGE obviously. He was largely the difference.

Hope they bring their A game on Sunday. As we know, every HE game is going to be brutal this year - the league is near total parity looking at the results thus far.

Comment

Even with the pair of penaties by Leonard I loved the 4th line last night.

They had alot of energy and puck control and had several great scoring chances. McCarthy might be too skilled for the 4th line but its great to have that depth, he seems very suited to play center.

Would love to see these same lines play together some more but would think Sneddon already planned to have a few different playes play versus Providence.
                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
                  what if justin milo's right arm had fallen off his body midway through the third period?

WHOLE NEW BALLGAME
                  And what it Hamilton took a **** in his pants and had to go change himself halfway through the third? We can say all these "what ifs" (i admit, in a post just last night i did say "what if"), but the point is: UVM outplayed lowell and the shot total and fans who were there can verify this.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                    And what it Hamilton took a **** in his pants and had to go change himself halfway through the third? We can say all these "what ifs" (i admit, in a post just last night i did say "what if"), but the point is: UVM outplayed lowell and the shot total and fans who were there can verify this.
                    shot totals always tell you everything about a game that's why BU won last night's game against northeastern

Comment

I'm making this argument, because if you're smart, it's just a mockery of the same argument lowell fans have made in the past on this website. There were games against Lowell where they had outshot UVM about 30-18 or so, and UVM would win by a pair of goals. The first thing out of these lowell fans mouths were "we outshot UVM by a landslide." I'm just making fun of this argument, and in a way, utilizing it to my own advantage because you (lowell fans) so cleverly did so in the first place.
                      Last edited by midge843; 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

If anyones interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp68BwJpWVE

Comment

good job by uvm this afternoon against the friars. played aggresive after a slow start.great to have Milo bck in the lineup and Mccarthy shows me more and more each game.would love to see stacey on the powereplay-could be the playmaker to set everything up.all in all a very good weekend for the catamounts.

Comment

From INCH's power rankings this week where UVM moved up 1 to #11

"Senior forward Brayden Irwin leads the team in goals (four), assists (five), points (nine), penalty minutes (25), plus-minus (+7) and shots on goal (20)."

I think PC was his first game without a point. Hopefully Irwin continues to shine and put up the numbers he is capable. Maybe drop the PM's but then again those major penalties add up quick.

But after an 11 point season last year, things are definitely improving this season.

Although with Milo in the lineup not sure how long Irwin will be leading in goals and shots.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Justin Milo is amazing. Sneddon mentioned that he had not skated at all since his injury, the games this weekend were his first time on skates in awhile. In that light, I find his performance this weekend all the more remarkable. Hopefully he will have a huge point producing season.

Comment

A very fun weekend up at ol' UVM! Like in the BC game, the team sparked the crowd, at least as the Lowell game wore on, which made the Gutt a fun place to be watching hockey this weekend. Hockey crowds can get quiet when not a lot happens in a game - no hits, no good scoring chances/saves, no goals - but when the home team provides those, a hockey rink is a fun place to be. This weekend, I thought the team gave the fans a lot to react to and cheer for.

Something sparked the team this weekend, so now we have to see if that spark flickers and dies, like it did after the Denver/BC start, or if it ignites what this team has shown it can be. And what this team can be seemed to be, like it was in the Denver/BC run, on display this weekend.

I didn't think Rob Madore sparked the team on Friday, but I thought he was very good and good goaltending makes everyone feel better. Mike Spillane, though, definitely sparked the team with a fantastic performance. That he sparked the team was evidenced by Anders Franzon's rebound save in the third period. Very possibly inspired by his goalie's efforts, Franzon was fully invested in helping his goalie keep the puck out of the net and helped in the purest sense. Franzon's effort made the puck Madore handed Spillane after the game the puck from his first shutout, not just his first win of the season.

Justin Milo sparked the team. The powerplay seemed to take shape even early in the Lowell game by shots, many by Milo and Brayden Irwin, who is really playing like a kid who wants to be a pro hockey player, and shots spark crowds and build energy and momentum. Shots make puckhandling errors less likely and force the other team to look for and chase rebounds, and Milo certainly came out shooting on Friday. His first goal of the Providence game, from my viewpoint on the offensive blue line, was a great play and shot and kept the team and crowd going.

Brett Leonard sparked the team. Great for Brett Leonard, working his way into the lineup and taking advantage of his opportunity. But his play and the play of his line often kept the excitement in the building. And alongside the spark and positive energy Leonard provided, Chris McCarthy again showed how good a player he is. It had been a couple of weeks. Many times over the weekend, those players showed what good energy combined with good ability can produce. And their play impacted the games.

While I wouldn't say Franzon sparked the team, his play all weekend was terrific and now the team knows they have yet another excellent defenseman that can be relied on. I thought Franzon was excellent this weekend and might quietly be as good a puckhandling defenseman as Vermont has. I was very impressed with his play, especially handling the puck. Likewise, I think McCarthy and David Pacan and Tobias Roos and Sebastien Stalberg have shown the team that it has forwards that can keep the puck moving in the right direction and have momentum-sustaining shifts.

Two things about this team to me. First, they have a ways to go to live down the manner in which they themselves extinguished the season's early spark. Proof that this spark will take hold and ignite something great will take time and a nice string of 60 or 65 minute efforts, like they showed this weekend. Second, this is NOT, in my opinion, a 'blue collar' team. They have to work hard, to be sure, but this is a pretty skilled team that moves the puck well and has a good number of high-end skilled players - Roloff, Vock, Milo, Irwin, Stacey, McCarthy, then some - Downing, Stalberg, Roos, Pacan, a notch below. This team, in my opinion, is a skilled team that should get toughness from the big defense. I don't consider Vermont a blue collar team, I consider them a fast, skilled team that needs to play fast and hard. I do not think they should or will be grinding out 2-1 and 3-2 wins, which is what I would call a 'blue collar' team. This weekend they showed they can erase deficits (against a good team) and win by 3. Now, a 'blue collar' work ethic, that I will love to see!

The team has shown us their abilities. Now, we will watch it reveal its character.
                                Last edited by grantfan; 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X