X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
    Kudos to the new and improved band...........
    They really contributed to the fantastic atmosphere last night!
    Love the new songs "Sweet Caroline" and "Shipping up to Boston"
    Definitely agree! They sounded terrific! I love "The Final Countdown" and there were a couple other new songs I was unfamiliar with.

The team looks great! And we got a #1 vote in the USCHO poll!

#7 keep up the good work cats!!!!!!!
    OCT 29, 2004 - The Day UVM Hockey turned around...

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
      FiveHole, I think you can glean from my comments that I know Jerry York is a great coach.

I am saying the BC freshman look soft. And by freshmen, I include J. Whitney, B. Almeida and J. Hayes. BC looked very soft. I thought the BC team looked soft last night.

Did you like Kreider's rushes up the ice? Jimmy Hayes look like a big, tough guy to handle? With skills? Did I miss Almeida standing out? Was Cam Atkinson fantastic? Aside from mocking, please tell me what I missed yesterday? Mullane? Help me here? They all looked very comfortable out on the perimeter.

BC will always be an opponent to be respected. Cliches say they'll be very hungry and angry and pumped up to give it back to Vermont on their home ice in November. Maybe they will. They'll play harder, they'll crash the Vermont net, get bodies in front of Madore. If you have others bring them out in mid-November.

BC will get great coaching.

We'll see what Coach York has to work with this season. I, for one, wasn't impressed with much about BC last night. Except, maybe J. Whitney's slapshot. And S. Whitney's stickhandling.

Help me here, FiveHole.
      You nailed it on the head in your first post.
      VT will clean BC's clock in November. Can't fix soft... 4 points.
      You thought wristers from the circle were lame... Jerry will have them letting loose from center ice by November. That's his style, if these kids are actually coachable.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Thank you for your contribution, jcarter. I think even the UML fans would agree you contribute more on their thread than you just did here.

Should I type slower for your benefit*?

* = SARCASM ALERT
        You don't refer to anything in his post and it is hard to tell what the heck you are responding to. I was asking for a clarification. Sorry if that's too much to ask. Jeez get the bunch out of your panties and stop being so sensitive, you are acting like a UML fan. Someone says something that you take as a negative and you lash back?? Go back to the playground with the other 3 year olds or grow up and say "I was refering to X, my apologies if that wasn't clear"
        Last edited by jcarter7669; 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I refuse to acknowledge that the UML School of Reading Comprehension graduates are right about you, JC. I just won't do it. I can't. Read harder or something.

Comment

I refuse to acknowledge that the UML School of Reading Comprehension graduates are right about you, JC. I just won't do it. I can't. Read harder or something.
            Here for example :

"They'll play harder, they'll crash the Vermont net, get bodies in front of Madore. If you have others bring them out in mid-November."

If you have other what? That's all I'm saying. I don't know what you are talking about. Other what?

You were clear here if not redundant :

"I am saying the BC freshman look soft.... BC looked very soft. I thought the BC team looked soft last night.

But some of your other points were vague, and you appeared to be calling fivehole out for some reason. But whatever, yes must be the UML fans were right because for some reason I can't figure out what "others" you reference.

Either way, who cares. Can we move on past the BC game at this point. MC coming up with a freshman that just scored 5 goals in 13 minutes against albeit Army.

Comment

On another note, some nice jumps in the polls for UVM, up to third in the power rankings and 7th in the USCHO/USA today polls. Interestingly, they garnered a first place vote must be the same guy that voted for BC last week.

Comment

Good game last night. I thought UVM played awful nervous early for some reason..... The Cats did wear BC down in the end despite the Cats having to kill 16 full minutes of man down.

It did not look too good for a while though with about one shot in the first 10 minutes. Cats were lucky to not be down a couple of goals early before they got it going.

Overall I thought the play was CLOSE to even with an edge to BC in the first two periods and a considerable edge to UVM in the third.

This UVM is the most physical I have ever seen, which makes sense given they are the heaviest D1 team in the nation (and fortunately not nearly the slowest - nice balance of speed and size).

Nice start for McCarthy. He has a lot of upside. Glad to have him. Thank you Jerry York, we appreciate your contribution.

I like Stalberg, Roos, and Pacan, but hopefully they start to get it going a bit more offensively. Pacan looks to me like he could be a Mink type in a year or two and Stalberg and Roos will be solid.

UVM D is just going to get better this year I suspect.

Roloff just had an awesome game. He was the best forward on both ends of the ice. Irwin is looking pretty good this year also. Nice to see Vock finish again. Downing has stepped it up this year. Stacey needs to get it out of the D zone on PK though, he failed to clear numerous times.

And the forward depth will improve in a couple of weeks when Milo comes back. Atkinson probably sits to make room but who goes to the fourth line?

We're going to have a fourth line with two third line type players on it. Good to see.

My only concerns for UVM were way too many penalties (get it together please), the soft goal from Madore (at least one each game thus far, although offset by some STELLAR saves also) and the PP. They are pretty bad on the PP (except the one no look pass that worked). The 5 on 3's were just embarrasing. One shot in 99 seconds of 5 on 3 is weak. If they are going to be elite (which they have a shot at this year) they have to get the PP cranking. Get some motion away from the puck and crisper passing.

All in all a great effort though. Hope they play well at Mack for a change on Friday. Get the train rolling!

Comment

soft goal?....no way, that was a laser beam in a perfect location. Had he made the glove save on that one we'd be saying save of the year.

Liking the fact that currently finishing isn't a concern. Remember how many times in recent years the team was playing well and the only thing missing was finishing their chances. They seem to be more poised around the net.

wasn't overwhelmed by McCarthy despite the goal and the assist. Can see he'll be a solid contributor, showed he needs a couple games to catch up to those who played last weekend. Not great speed but really good hands and I think he'll fit in nicely with veterans especially Roloff.

As for who moves to the 4th line and who is the odd man out when Milo returns, these things seem to have a way of working themselves out....other guys get knicked up just as he returns, etc. If everyone is healthy, I'd think it's between Atkinson, Marshall, and Nilsson-Roos as far as the odd man out. Would think they'll give Marshall plenty of opportunities as he's the one with the most upside.....Milo maybe moves in with Stalberg and Pacan as to not disrupt the other two lines. Pure speculation and a ways away though.

Stay focused this weekend, MC can beat anyone, after all this is Hockey East. I also think Providence is going to be tougher than people think.

Comment

Fivehole=( )o( )

#7= Nice

JC=Less Red Bull please

Merrimack=I think they will be a challenge this year. Saw them late last season at UNH and they were tough and also gave UVM some troubles last year. Can't overlook this team.

BC=have some young talent that could make this team tough by spring.

UVM=Best I have seen in a longtime. The confidence is there and the freshmen are contributing. Love seeing the finishing this year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      On another note, some nice jumps in the polls for UVM, up to third in the power rankings and 7th in the USCHO/USA today polls. Interestingly, they garnered a first place vote must be the same guy that voted for BC last week.
                      Thanks for the vote, Jerry York.
                      Need UVM Tickets? Drop me a line.
                      October 30, 2010 - Vermont's Bear Hunting Season

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF
                        wow, all this tough talk you would think that vermont won their first game of the season too. i'm not ready to put vermont in the frozen four just yet.

As for BC, they are still a year away... obviously the elephant in the room is their lack of size up front... without it, they wont be able to just walk to the front of the net. the freshman will improve once they grab ahold of the speed of the college game; until then the balls in their court. but i'm not going to write off the next four years because of one road opener.
                        Dude, you are so infatuated with the Elephant Walk I am starting to think you gave Fivehole his moniker in Province Town. Not that there is anything wrong with that.........

Comment

Wow. I've never mentioned a thing about UVM's hockey past, but given the mentality level of a few posters, I have a better understanding of how some peculiar things could happen way up there in Burlington.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            Wow. I've never mentioned a thing about UVM's hockey past, but given the mentality level of a few posters, I have a better understanding of how some peculiar things could happen way up there in Burlington.
                            Sorry, you were a casualty of association......SteveF brings up the Walk every time these two teams meet. Getting a little tiresome although a rise he does get out of us.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              Sorry, you were a casualty of association......SteveF brings up the Walk every time these two teams meet. Getting a little tiresome although a rise he does get out of us.
                              You should have brought NickP. into it, he is the other one jealous he wasn't allowed to participate. But yes, tiresome indeed.

SteveF, I don't know what "tough talk" you speak of, I haven't read any post yet that indicates that UVM fans think UVM is going to waltz back to the frozen four. Sounds like you just want to make a few elephant walk cracks and spew a little anger towards UVM. Not sure if your a BC fan that's a little upset that your team just got beat 4-1 or just a UVM hater, after all some BC fan's seem to think their storied history is enough so other teams aren't even worthy of playing. But hey, just let it go..... you get another chance to get beat again in a few weeks.

Comment

Kudos to McCarthy for getting HE rookie of the week honors.

http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...&storyID=15239

Its got to be a little bit of a rub for York to lose McCarthy because he "wasn't ready" only to have him come out and put up as many goals as the entire BC team in his first game out and garner top rookie in HE in his first week of play.

You can't argue with York's record but, even "gods" make mistakes, and that one has to sting a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X