Yale Hockey 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Hockey 2010

The guys came out hard against Colgate tonight. Unfortunately for us, a breakdown on the first Colgate PP (fail to clear when we had a great chance to) led to a easy goal and on our first PP, the right point man (Backman, I believe) played a poor pinch and got caught up ice. Maricic should have made the save on the ensuing breakaway as Backman slowed the play down. But no dice.

Aside from that, we absolutely dominated the play. We forechecked hard, caused turnovers in their zone, always beatin Colgate to the puck. Our team has much better pursuit of the puck. However, our PP needs some work. The chemistry and chances just aren't there.

Maricic looked somewhat shaky again tonight. The third goal Colgate scored was on him. He needs to squeeze those pads sooner. He also needs to stop dropping down in his butterfly too soon. Numerous times he was down on the ice with no mobility to make a play, and fortunately for us, the Colgate shooters couldn't hit the spots.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

Anyone else think we'll see Blase in net on Thursday? I believe he has yet to see any playing time. Maricic played well, but, as others have commented, he doesn't fill you with confidence. I'd like to see how the senior looks this year.

But the team really pulled together to get the frosh a huge first win and help him avoid his first loss. Aside from the power play, everything looked pretty good. These guys can really handle the puck--one of my favorite moments from the weekend was Anderson's control with his feet after losing his stick, he looked like Pele on skates.

It'll be exciting to have a HE school at Ingalls, even if it is just UMass. I know they're really good this year, but I think the Pixies' song is more popular than the hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by licwinko View Post
        It'll be exciting to have a HE school at Ingalls, even if it is just UMass. I know they're really good this year, but I think the Pixies' song is more popular than the hockey program.
        The Hockey program is currently the most popular program on-campus, averaging around 5000 per game. We're two back of Yale in the latest poll (OK, so we don't have one voter in our corner like you do ) and have had some early season success, knocking off BU, Maine Niagara and RPI and splitting with UNH and PC. If it means anything, you tied and lost to our mutual opponents.

And no-one listens to the Pixies anymore do they?
        Last edited by Kieron; 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM.
        GO MINUTEMEN

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron View Post
          The Hockey program is currently the most popular program on-campus, averaging around 5000 per game. We're two back of Yale in the latest poll (OK, so we don't have one voter in our corner like you do ) and have had some early season success, knocking off BU, Maine Niagara and RPI and splitting with UNH and PC. If it means anything, you tied and lost to our mutual opponents.

And no-one listens to the Pixies anymore do they?
          Listen, I'm sure the program is very popular around town, and I think it's going to be a very competitive game. I'm just saying, when you go to a Star Trek convention, you're not there to see Brent Spiner.

I think the Pixies are touring and they have a few tracks in Rock Band and Guitar Hero...

Comment

Hey, no worries.

BTW, Brent who?
            GO MINUTEMEN

Comment

Tough OT loss for the Bulldogs tonight. UMass is a solid team and they play an effective game. They may not have top end talent, but they've got a good group of d-men who were able to keep most opposing forwards to the outisde at even strength. There was one instance which was a horrible breakout pass from a d-man which led to Yale's 3rd goal.

Maricic was much better tonight than he was last weekend against Cornell and Colgate. The OT goal was a crowd killer. It looked like it was a deflected puck because it sure surprised him when it went in.
              Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
              Boston University '06/'08
              Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
                Tough OT loss for the Bulldogs tonight. UMass is a solid team and they play an effective game. They may not have top end talent, but they've got a good group of d-men who were able to keep most opposing forwards to the outisde at even strength. There was one instance which was a horrible breakout pass from a d-man which led to Yale's 3rd goal.

Maricic was much better tonight than he was last weekend against Cornell and Colgate. The OT goal was a crowd killer. It looked like it was a deflected puck because it sure surprised him when it went in.
                Yale certainly looks like a solid team that could certainly return to the NCAAs. I think Maricic played exceptionally well tonight, and none of the goals he really had a chance at. He made some big saves, especially in the first and second period, as I was sitting there thinking UMass probably should have had a bigger lead than they had at 2-1. The Bulldogs hit a few posts and caught an awful break at the end with the defenseman basically in the wrong place at the wrong time. Backman and Arcobello certainly impressed me tonight, as well as some physical play by Donald which was also impressing. I'm glad UMass was able to capitalize when they could, but in my opinion Yale outplayed them the entire 3rd period and for most of OT.
                Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
                  It looked like it was a deflected puck because it sure surprised him when it went in.
                  It was. It went off a defenseman's stick or maybe a skate, I couldn't quite see which.

I'll echo umass49's comments, Yale is a very good team. Make the slightest mistake and they'll make you pay.

I'd never been to Ingalls before. Great place to watch a game.
                  MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
                  NCAA Appearance: 2007
                  1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
                  http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

If you'd said this about Lowell, the guys at TIiL would have written an entire blog post about it.
                    Sons of old Massachusetts,
                    Devoted daughters true,
                    Bay State, old Bay State,
                    We'll give our best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                      If you'd said this about Lowell, the guys at TIiL would have written an entire blog post about it.
                      Don't worry, I don't think anyone's writing any songs about UML.

Great game last night. I imagine Yale learned a ton from it.

Also, for the second game in a row Anderson showed amazing soccer skills after losing his stick.

Comment

Anyone else think we'll see Blase in net on Thursday? I believe he has yet to see any playing time. Maricic played well, but, as others have commented, he doesn't fill you with confidence. I'd like to see how the senior looks this year.
                        I have been very surprised that Blase has not had a start yet this year. Maricic has looked ok, and Rondeau has been really up and down- sounds like had bad game against Brown before getting yanked for Blase in the 3rd period.

I suspect we will see Blase starting in goal this week.

Don't forget that last year also started in a similar fashion as we looked for a goalie to come forward and stand out. In the end Richards exceeded all expectation, but he wasn't even the starter at this time last year.

The season is young, and this team certainly has the skills to compete with anyone in the country.
                        -------------
                        Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                          I have been very surprised that Blase has not had a start yet this year. Maricic has looked ok, and Rondeau has been really up and down- sounds like had bad game against Brown before getting yanked for Blase in the 3rd period.

I suspect we will see Blase starting in goal this week.

Don't forget that last year also started in a similar fashion as we looked for a goalie to come forward and stand out. In the end Richards exceeded all expectation, but he wasn't even the starter at this time last year.

The season is young, and this team certainly has the skills to compete with anyone in the country.
                          Agreed 100%. I think Blase deserves and will get his chance to start soon (probably against Sacred Heart). I also can see any of those 3 guys stepping up and having a good year. None of them will match Alec's season last year but I think one of them will step up.
                          Yale Hockey

Comment

Aside from being Blase's possible first start, tomorrow will also be the first meeting between the two schools. And the preseason coach swap presents an interesting story line.

On paper, this should be all Yale, but Saturday was suppose to be as well. I saw Sacred Heart play tough against Air Force early last season--this could be a competitive game.

Sadly, travel prevents me from attending. But, apparently, if you were a pro/college jersey you get in free.

Comment

Yes, fans of any age who wear a hockey jersey can get in to tonight's game for free.

Comment

I understand Keith wanting to get a freshman his first start against a weaker opponent but when will Blase get his first start? Whatever, it sounded like the team played a good game.
                                Yale Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X