Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2010

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
    Clearly you're talking about his actions rather than me reporting something that Yalies will obviously refuse to believe. As far as it being unsubstantiated,there is no way that the university would allow any of the real story to leak to a credible source, so all we are left with are accounts from people close to the program. If it were my team, I'd want to know what actually happened rather than the cookie cutter "Backman is out indefinitely and is very, very unlikely to return." Face the facts. The kid screwed up and though I am not a credible source, I am just repeating what I've been told from more than a few people, far closer to the program that I am.
    Seriously,how can you come out with such a random story? It has nothing to do with being a Yale fan. I would respect the privacy of any Hockey player.

Comment

Word also has it and maybe somebody else can confirm this, that Backman was quite inebriated when the injury occurred. The injury, I believe, is a totally shattered heel. If he was drunk and allowed this to happen I ask how? You're a borderline top five national team, the number 1 team in the ECAC and a sneeze away from an auto bid. I'd be walking around in a bubble and avoiding any adversity.

It's a devastating blow for the Bulldogs and I can't imagine Allain is too happy about it, if the drunken recklessness is the cause.
      Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. This sort of innuendo and
      idle speculation serves no purpose. Sean's health is a matter that concerns
      himself, his family, his doctor,his coach and his teammates. If you were in his situation--- WHATEVER IT MAY BE--- I am sure that you would want to be accorded the privacy and respect that you deserve. PLEASE show him the same consideration!

Comment

Originally posted by electpuck View Post
        I think this is totally irresponsible, and certainly unsubstantiated. How childish, "I heard...."
        Maybe even defamatory if it could impact a future professional career. Certainly amazingly inappropriate.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by yaledoc View Post
          himself, his family, his doctor,his coach and his teammates. If you were in his situation--- WHATEVER IT MAY BE--- I am sure that you would want to be accorded the privacy and respect that you deserve. PLEASE show him the same consideration!
          This is all fine and understandable. I am strictly posting this because If it was one of our players, and let's admit it it'd be way more likely with one of ours, I would want to know what happened. If you don't want to believe me that's fine. I don't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by electpuck View Post
            Seriously,how can you come out with such a random story? It has nothing to do with being a Yale fan. I would respect the privacy of any Hockey player.
            I am not "coming out" with this. I was told by three unrelated people about the story and thought I'd share it with the people who care the most, the Yale fans. I did not generate this story.

Comment

The loss of Backman will hurt, but as has been said many times before, the greatest strength of this team is their depth. We will just have to see how things turn it.
              Regarding what happened, I think best to wait until we officilly hear what the injury is. Either we will then get a story about how it occured, or we won't and will be left with rumors.
              Let's hope for Brown to pull the upset over SLU.
              And I'll be at the Whale Friday looking forward to another run at an ECAC Championship Title.
              -------------
              Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

I am not "coming out" with this. I was told by three unrelated people about the story and thought I'd share it with the people who care the most, the Yale fans. I did not generate this story.
                Perhaps my fellow Yale fans and alumni didn't make ourselves clear.
                FOUR WONGS (you and your 3 buddies) DON"T MAKE A RIGHT!!!!! The people who care about Yale and Sean the most would MOST like to see his privacy respected!!!

Comment

Perhaps my fellow Yale fans and alumni didn't make ourselves clear.
                  FOUR WONGS (you and your 3 buddies) DON"T MAKE A RIGHT!!!!! The people who care about Yale and Sean the most would MOST like to see his privacy respected!!!
                  Cute. The only reason I posted and I want it to be understood that if it happened to the Q and all I had to go on was the coach giving a "no comment" when asked how the injury happened, I'd want to know the story. I wouldn't want to be left with nothing to go on.

Regardless, I hope this doesn't hurt your run a national title, I hope it brings your team closer together and I hope you represent the league well at the big dance. Best of luck.

Comment

With all due respect........you Yale fans need to come down off your high horse. His health is not just a matter that concerns himself, his family, his doctor, his coach and his teammates.
                    He is a potentail all american player and a key cog in a team that those of us in the ECAC are all proud of and were hoping would/could go far into the NCAA tournament and even make the Frozen Four. You may be correct in the context of "how" the injury occurred and innuendo and rumor are not appropriate in that regard.....but the fact he is injured at all is certainly newsworthy, worth mentioning and certainly seeking confirmation.

Frankly I'm shocked at this point that USCHO hasn't had a lead story article on it. And if you still think it's not information worthy of disucssion in the public domain flash back (I don't remember the year but I think it was two years ago) how that high profile Michigan Player got injured, attacked when he was out in the wee hours by another Michigan athlete and his injury and the story was front page news for the better part of a week.

If indeed Backman is out and injured that truly is a shame and my condolences go out to the kid and the team. I was really hoping that team could go far and represent the ECAC this year. They still can....and I hope they do. But again......if he is out and injured it is newsworthy (and even how it happened is also newsworthy if indded verified and confirmed.)
                    SLU

Comment

We speculate on things all the time.
                      Wong never said anything more than a rumor. If he is wrong, great, he's wrong. Nobody is going to care, and nobody will be hurt by it. If there is some accuracy to his rumors, well that's part of life as well. College kids are college kids- havng worked enough Emeregency Room shifts at Yale, it doesn't matter if you go to Yale, Quinnipiac, or any other school. And when you male a mistake you learn from it, and then move on.
                      I myself prefer to wait until we hear what the injury is. I suspect we will know more by early next week.
                      Last edited by yalehockeyfan; 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM.
                      -------------

Comment

Cute. The only reason I posted and I want it to be understood that if it happened to the Q and all I had to go on was the coach giving a "no comment" when asked how the injury happened, I'd want to know the story. I wouldn't want to be left with nothing to go on.

Regardless, I hope this doesn't hurt your run a national title, I hope it brings your team closer together and I hope you represent the league well at the big dance. Best of luck.
                        Thanks,ANW..... now THAT'S the way I like to hear you talk!!!!
                        The Bulldogs did pull together after Digs was injured in late January (vs.Q
                        at Ingalls) LAST year. Also, don't take my admonitions as an ad hominem
                        attack...... I'll be the first to say that (unless and until) Sean wants my
                        viewpoint on the matter, it's truly NONE of my business either!!

Comment

I am surprised it took this long for this to become public knowledge. Backman is the most versatile player on the team and his high energy game can raise others to his level. He will be hard to replace.

Hearsay in a national public hockey forum about a players health and off the ice behavior should not be taken lightly. Whether or not the facts surrounding this injury will be released is up to the player. His personal health status is protected by HIPPA (look it up).
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            His personal health status is protected by HIPPA (look it up).
                            Um, no - you need to look it up. HIPPA prevents health care providers from releasing patient health or payment information. Nothing whatsoever to do with hockey fans speculating on a message board or sharing things they learned through personal contacts who are not entities covered by HIPPA. If a player on the Yale team were to blab about it (don't know if that's what happened here or not) and that ends up in the public domain, there's no HIPPA violation of any kind.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Um, no - you need to look it up. HIPPA prevents health care providers from releasing patient health or payment information.
                              You forgot employers AND schools, Backman must consent to the release of his medical record to the public. If he did not and his school released the info or his coach telling someone in the media without his consent would be a violation. I agree that this situation is probably all just word of mouth and I hope it is less serious than the OP posted, speculation helps no one.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Without Backman we will still score plenty. In end we aren't going far unless we get better play from D men and goalie. With the fire power on this team I still have plenty of faith that a Frozen 4 is within reach. Will be interesting to see how we play next week.
                                Last edited by yalehockeyfan; 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM.
                                -------------

Comment

Working...
                                X