Yale Hockey 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2010

Great offense last night for both squads, Yale got caught too deep on the forecheck on numerous occasions creating odd man rushes for SLU that were not really Blases fault. When they play a team just as fast as them Yale needs to adjust and remember that there is a defensive zone. The goal by Backman was highlight reel worthy.

The goalie situation is still in flux
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      Great offense last night for both squads, Yale got caught too deep on the forecheck on numerous occasions creating odd man rushes for SLU that were not really Blases fault. When they play a team just as fast as them Yale needs to adjust and remember that there is a defensive zone. The goal by Backman was highlight reel worthy.

The goalie situation is still in flux
      I mean this sincerely........I think your team is so talented it could/should be a shoo-in for the Frozen Four, if only you had a goalie who could keep the puck out of the net. I have watched your team play numerous times this year (even though and SLU fan) and your offense and depth are amazing. In my years of watching ECAC hockey this is arguably the best team you have ever had. I just hope you guys can hang in there with what appears to be at best, just average goaltending.

Best of luck the rest of the way, in the ECAC Tournament and I am sure in the NCAA Tournament.
      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        SLU

At least the scorers overcompensate for the goalies shortcomings, SLU did not have much of a backstop either, Both offenses were flying last night.

I'll bring this over here and ask you:

Exactly which goal can you directly fault Kain Tisi on? Yes, both offenses were in full gear last night, however Tisi definitely gave SLU a chance to steal a point, especially when shots were 13-0 in the first 7 minutes, with SLU only having about 20-30 seconds of zone time.

Comment

Six goals allowed is still six goals allowed. You can also blame his defense for not clearing the front for him. I will admit the kid stood on his head at times.

Back to Yale they were down 4-1 with eight minutes left against Clarkson today and scored 3 goals in the last eight minutes to tie it with Broc Little completing the hat trick with his game winner in OT. Yale seemed tired and out of sorts and ran into a very hot Clarkson goalie. Again tonight Allain pulled his goalie for a replacement. A weird and wonderful win.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
            I mean this sincerely........I think your team is so talented it could/should be a shoo-in for the Frozen Four, if only you had a goalie who could keep the puck out of the net. I have watched your team play numerous times this year (even though and SLU fan) and your offense and depth are amazing. In my years of watching ECAC hockey this is arguably the best team you have ever had. I just hope you guys can hang in there with what appears to be at best, just average goaltending.

Best of luck the rest of the way, in the ECAC Tournament and I am sure in the NCAA Tournament.
            Last night is a good example of why it would be very difficult for any Yale goalie to have good stats. Yale dominated on offense with 44 shots and constant pressure on SLU, that pressure and pinching by the defense resulted in SLU scoring their first two goals on odd man rushes and the second two on 5 X 3 situations. If you give a good team enough quality opportunities, they are going to score.

Comment

This team plays a much too aggressive game for the caliber of goalies we carry. We need to have better support for the pinching defense because it leads to far too many odd man rushes as is. More teams in the ECAC are able to pick up on the tendency for our defense to pinch in and get a good play going the other way. Better teams will exploit that in the playoffs, particularly the NCAAs.

Other than that, hell of a set of games this weekend. Offense is amazing.
              Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
              Boston University '06/'08
              Yale University '13

Comment

With no goalie for Yale proving to be a standout I don't see how you can't go with Blase for the rest of the year. Look a the numbers and you will see he has a perfect record (6-0 I believe) and I think even more importantly is a senior who has put in his time and that the team rallies behind. Having been at yesterdays game after the game was over Blase was congratulated by his teammates even though he was pulled after first period. He was also last man in Yale line for handshake. I say let the senior go out giving it his best. This I an amazing senior class and Blase has earned the right to be the starting goalie down the stretch. The two freshmen will get thier chances but they have proved this year that they are still young and have growing to do
                -------------
                Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                  With no goalie for Yale proving to be a standout I don't see how you can't go with Blase for the rest of the year. Look a the numbers and you will see he has a perfect record (6-0 I believe) and I think even more importantly is a senior who has put in his time and that the team rallies behind. Having been at yesterdays game after the game was over Blase was congratulated by his teammates even though he was pulled after first period. He was also last man in Yale line for handshake. I say let the senior go out giving it his best. This I an amazing senior class and Blase has earned the right to be the starting goalie down the stretch. The two freshmen will get thier chances but they have proved this year that they are still young and have growing to do
                  Thanks YHF!!!! Very well stated and I couldn't agree with you more!!!!
                  The ONLY thing I would add is this:
                  ISN"T IT ABOUT TIME THAT BROC LITTLE GOT INTO THE
                  HOBEY BAKER CONVERSATION???????

Comment

Agreed. Given that he is the best offensive player on the most potent offense in all of college hockey he deserves to be recognized. However he is unlikely to get too strong consideration because Yale is just such an amazingly deep team, and with players Backman, Little isn't always the man. Sean also tends to step up in the biggest in big games (see ECAC championship last year). In fact I wonder who will get more votes Sean or Broc.
                    As a junior however, we can all look forward to watching Broc again next year when he could very well be a Baker finalist.
                    -------------
                    Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Woohoo!!! Cornell loses to Dartmouth, making the comeback today all the more sweet. Compared to the big hockey schools, i am afraid Yale players do not get as much attention in the national college hockey media as the CHA and Boston area teams do.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

An update for the PWR as it relates to Yale. They currently have 19 comparison wins, good for 6th and a full 3 more than the tie for 7th between North Dakota, UNH, and BC.

The TUC comparison will only come into play if Massachusetts becomes a TUC again AND Yale finishes second AND face both Union and Cornell in Albany. I say this because Engineers and St. Lawrence are the only other teams that the Elis have faced this season and they are currently 30th and 32nd and unlikely to move into the top 25 in RPI. It is very difficult to include the TUC factor in the comparisons against CCHA and WCHA teams because of the number of teams from those conferences near the TUC cliff. But, it would likely flip the SCSU comparison in Yale's favor without flipping any other comparisons (assuming of course that Yale wins the two games against Cornell and Union, since we're going for the best possible outcome). It may help solidify Miami's win over Yale, but with Miami being in the CCHA, their results are dependent upon the CCHA tournament and which teams end up being TUCs at the end of the season.

Nearly every comparison against teams not named Cornell and Union will be won by whichever team wins the RPI portion. Yale needs to keep winning to keep their RPI up, and would like to see some of the top seeds slip up at the end of the regular season or during their conference tournaments for their RPI to drop. And, keep cheering against Rensselaer to avoid the very unlikely scenario where they make a tremendous run and end up in the top 25.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            The TUC comparison will only come into play if Massachusetts becomes a TUC again AND Yale finishes second AND face both Union and Cornell in Albany. I say this because Engineers and St. Lawrence are the only other teams that the Elis have faced this season and they are currently 30th and 32nd and unlikely to move into the top 25 in RPI. It is very difficult to include the TUC factor in the comparisons against CCHA and WCHA teams because of the number of teams from those conferences near the TUC cliff. But, it would likely flip the SCSU comparison in Yale's favor without flipping any other comparisons (assuming of course that Yale wins the two games against Cornell and Union, since we're going for the best possible outcome). It may help solidify Miami's win over Yale, but with Miami being in the CCHA, their results are dependent upon the CCHA tournament and which teams end up being TUCs at the end of the season.
                            A really long way to say:

Yale needs to keep winning to keep their RPI up, and would like to see some of the top seeds slip up at the end of the regular season or during their conference tournaments for their RPI to drop.

Realistically, there are going to have to be some big, BIG upsets near the top of the Pairwise table for Yale to move any higher.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Yea, I know, RC. I just wanted to give insight into the TUC. Also wanted to state the importance of the RPI.

Any brilliant analysis you want to shed on this post?
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I had been enjoying the video highlights on Youtube over the past couple of years and they seemed to disappear. i managed to track down video from SLU on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWbODFAAwo

Yale Athletics youtube page
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/YaleAthletics
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X