Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

gallery added to recap - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/02/01/nu-bu.php

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
      bu doesnt play a system? That is the dumbest thing you have written on here to date Rossi.

While I agree that Cronin's record against bu is pretty pathetic, in his defense, he has been coach during the recent rise (again) of that program. The last coach at NU did not have bu winning championships, those post Drury teams were not very good unless they played in the Beanpot. Since Cronin took over NU, Parker has had bu playing some of its best hockey in 10 years.

Oh, I am not a Cronin defender. Just hate to read total stupidity.
      That's why they call it a Blog..it's not science, I can be wrong out on this thing, but U miss my point, and perhaps the point was not well drafted after a late game.

Of course, every team today plays a system..or a modified version of one, but we play it all the time, and I feel it makes for uncreative hockey in the offensive zone...it makes you take bad shots or perhaps you don't take shots at all..or you take them too late..your hesitant..not responsive waiting for everyone to do their job..it's ok. Nobody steps up because nobody is expected to..every just does their job. That's all I am saying.

If you had more true offensive talent you could let people play with a their own personal flair a bit more. Correct? I mean really what I was saying is that system or no system the historical record over a 5 year sample has not changed.

NU has transformed the hockey environment, the arena itself and filled the old barn with students and alumni....and perhaps it's too early to tell but the results generally are the same..I know there was no time frame set for a turn around, but the university community and alumni are trying to build a platform for a national championship..a lofty goal but believe it or not that is what is being sold. Can it be done..You have to believe we can do it...but how.

Believe it or not I think Cronin is a good 1st step..I just wish he would let them play...you have to have fun to win.

But, barring a minor miracle

I am not so sure if a National Championship for NU can happen through Hockey East as a "David" with not one but 2 "Goliath" in the same league let alone the same city. I will write more on this latter..I have some thoughts.

By the way, "Yes" BU has had great teams during that stretch and this is a down year for them but down years for them are 15 win seasons.
      Last edited by RossiRules; 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
        That's why they call it a Blog..it's not science, I can be wrong out on this thing, but U miss my point, and perhaps the point was not well drafted after a late game.

Of course, every team today plays a system..or a modified version of one, but we play it all the time, and I feel it makes for uncreative hockey in the offensive zone...it makes you take bad shots or perhaps you don't take shots at all..or you take them too late..your hesitant..not responsive waiting for everyone to do their job..it's ok. Nobody steps up because nobody is expected to..every just does their job. That's all I am saying.

If you had more true offensive talent you could let people play with a their own personal flair a bit more. Correct? I mean really what I was saying is that system or no system the historical record over a 5 year sample has not changed.

NU has transformed the hockey environment, the arena itself and filled the old barn with students and alumni....and perhaps it's too early to tell but the results generally are the same..I know there was no time frame set for a turn around, but the university community and alumni are trying to build a platform for a national championship..a lofty goal but believe it or not that is what is being sold. Can it be done..You have to believe we can do it...but how.

Believe it or not I think Cronin is a good 1st step..I just wish he would let them play...you have to have fun to win.

But, barring a minor miracle

I am not so sure if a National Championship for NU can happen through Hockey East as a "David" with not one but 2 "Goliath" in the same league let alone the same city. I will write more on this latter..I have some thoughts.

By the way, "Yes" BU has had great teams during that stretch and this is a down year for them but down years for them are 15 win seasons.
        you do realize 07-08 was another "down" year for us as well?
        time to write new history

Comment

Rossi, i think you make some valid points. Some real deep, but i do understand.

I think yesterday, we played well. I have to give the guys credit. They left it all out there & as a fan.. that's what you ask for. Look at Harvard with all their resources & availability.. i do think that team embarrased their alumni & fans. At NU, of course it hurts to be this patient! But Beanpot not withstanding, we will have our time.

Yesterday, there were instances guys in front of net did not expect the passes they received.. why? When you're in front of the other team's net.. what else are you thinking? I think they'll watch the tape & improvise. We have a lot of young guys! I think Cronin gets that. His post gm comments reflected his frustration as well.

I also think we missed Tuckerman late.. if we had him, perhas a diff conversation today. Perhaps not. (don't even get me started on Quailer).

However, this yr.. I still feel (even with Tuckerman), we'd still be 1-1 or 0-2 (if we can't beat the Crimson).. in the 'Pot, as BC just has too much. I think they'll prove it nxt Monday.

Throw Quailer in the mix & then i think then we have a chance in any tourney. That injury was not Cronin's fault. He built a good team & Rawlings in freshman a great find. After Thiessen left his junior yr.. i think NU (and Cronin), did well in filling that spot.

All we can do is respond back rest of the season. Starting with Merrimack this Friday.. we need the road win.

Then we need to make a stand at every home game. If we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs... anything is possible. Perhaps even a visit back to the Garden..
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Rossi makes some great points. Last year was the first year I can recall where our 4th line, although certainly nothing to write home about, was good for a goal almost every other game. That was a far cry from the many seasons where the 4th line would net 6-8 goals for the whole year. I look at BC this year and they're running 1st-2nd round draft picks on their 3rd/4th lines. We'll never match that type of talent but if we could just get a goal every other game from the 4th line, we could always contend in HE. I'd like to think this MacMillan kid and Brodie Reid coming in next year will be upgrades to our current offensive woes.

On the upside from yesterday's game, the forecheck from a few players, JDan for example, was actually there to some degree. Ellement also played as well as I'd seen all season.

Comment

yup.. & we're 1-1 against the Terriers so far. We do have 2 gms remaining.

On Tuckerman's penalty.. does he miss the Merrimack gm, or was it just for yesterday? We could use him against the Mack. They just split a hard fought series with UNH so a road win won't be easy. I think we stick with Rawlings in net.

Also, did Morra play yesterday?
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                On Tuckerman's penalty.. does he miss the Merrimack gm, or was it just for yesterday?
                Just for yesterday.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Thnks Craig. How's the new arena coming along down in South Bend?
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

On Tuckerman's penalty.. does he miss the Merrimack gm, or was it just for yesterday? We could use him against the Mack.
                    Game Disqualification = Rest of that game and the next
                    Game Misconduct = Rest of that game

Fighting is a Game DQ. Hitting from behind is ref's discretion. Can be a two, five and game or five and game DQ.

Comment

Also, did Morra play yesterday?
                      Morra did not dress. Donovan was back.

Comment

Gotcha.. they scored on Donovan's penalty, right? His size usually works against him. Overall this yr, he's been quite a disciplined skater.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

A few things I'd like to bring up...

What's the Mike Powers story? He has yet to play, though they seemed to make a big deal about how he was in the lineup now. Also, is he the son of Professor Mike Powers? (Heard some noise about his lack of scholarship need due to a parent on the faculty)

How many people are planning on heading to 'Mack? We need a huge presence there... they're tough at home and we can NOT afford a loss against the team with whom we're battling for 8th place.

And I hope Cronin is getting them to practice finishing the **** pucks. I lost count at the number of breakaways we had that resulted in absolutely nothing.

Anyways, great game. Painful at the end, of course, but we put up a good fight against a team that always manages to find their stride in the Beanpot.
                          Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

I also agree with Rossi on several points. One 25-win season doesn't do **** for us if we can't put together multiple years of relevance. It's fun sometimes to play the underdog in this conference because everybody can get behind that, but sustained winning is the goal. Eventually as fans we get tired of hearing that our team is "hard to play against" while we watch the losses pile up.
                            Last edited by kcnuloyal; 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I'll be at Lawler on Friday night. It will be a very, very tough place to pull two points out. Merrimack has lost once all year there, 5-4 to UNH.

Comment

Thnks Craig. How's the new arena coming along down in South Bend?
                                They're still doing the design right now. They'll break ground this spring.
                                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                                X