Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

[QUOTE=northeastern;4577031]wow..maybe i have been too hard on the team with all the injuries ..
    QUOTE]

No, not really. We have all said what a great job Cronin has done by building depth that was never on this team before.

While its hard to recover from losing a Quailer, losing Guizor and Maley are hardly team breakers. Both guys were going to be in and out of the lineup anyway.

The problem for this team has been certain guys who were to be counted on for offense, have not done their part this year.

Its funny, one of the issues with last years team was lack of offense from the blue line. This year they are getting that in spades from Newton and Strathman. Outside of Kramer, MacLeod and lately McNeely and J. Daniels, the fowards have not done their part.
    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

A bit off topic.. (and this may have to do with W/L record), but i've noticed the attendance dip quite a bit the last few home gms.

Against Providence there about like 2000 (max), at Matthews. Is this because it was a Tues night gm.. or is hockey not promoted as it should in the dorms, NU news, amongst the faculty/student population? (i know Basketball team is red hot right now..)

C'mon DogHouse fans.. use your connections & resources

Hope someone in the hockey office has noticed this. Perhaps its just me.. but its nice to see the old barn close to capacity.

Its nice to win consistently too, i know. Hope we get a good showing for UML & beyond. There's only like 5 home gms left..
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        A bit off topic.. (and this may have to do with W/L record), but i've noticed the attendance dip quite a bit the last few home gms.

Against Providence there about like 2000 (max), at Matthews. Is this because it was a Tues night gm.. or is hockey not promoted as it should in the dorms, NU news, amongst the faculty/student population? (i know Basketball team is red hot right now..)

C'mon DogHouse fans.. use your connections & resources

Hope someone in the hockey office has noticed this. Perhaps its just me.. but its nice to see the old barn close to capacity.

Its nice to win consistently too, i know. Hope we get a good showing for UML & beyond. There's only like 5 home gms left..
        I would say some of that is due to the schedule (right before students come back, Tuesday night) and some is due to the lack of Thiessen (W/L record). For me, I missed two of the last 3 games because of the schedule.
        Originally posted by Bakunin
        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

FWIW, the hockey office can do a better job promoting the home gms to alumni.. I get a lot of mailings from the U. Very few on hockey (even last yr..)

C'mon, let's use some of that football $$$ for marketing. Promote hockey/basketball together if it works. I think NU sports marketing (if there is such a thing), can use a kick in the pants. Hey ask the University Pres, he's from USC. Sure he can give a pointer or two
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

So far tonight has gone wonderfully for NU. (Less the pending BU win)

Most importantly, PC and MC have just lost (barely, and they both came extremely close to winning from behind, yikes!)

What would make this weekend perfect? A TIE tomorrow between the two teams in last place now... let's hope they can stay down there.

With that said, I'd like to say we really need the fans to pack the house tomorrow for the basketball game. Let's give these boys the attention the deserve!
            Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

Quailer, would not have been in and out of the line up ! He would have been the main offensive cog this year.. 3rd on the team his freshman year in goals and 4th in points...A plus fing "10" in 41 games. 48 points in 61 games in jr Sioux City with 55 penalty minutes.. a scary unique combination.

Were do you find a 6 foot 4 forward who could play Center or either Wing position? I have news for you, this kid was the best kid to play at NU since Dan McGillis and has or had perhaps one of the only true direct to the NHL shots on the team. He could have bulked up to be a +200 lbs. force as he shed the boyish frame in the weight room.

He was the the MVP of his junior team in the USHL, Quailer had excellent breakaway type of speed and a good stride, perhaps the best on the team.

He had terrific hands and shot the puck well for accuracy. He had terrific play making ability, good vision and was truly able to play in the corners overpowering his opponents. He utilizes a very quick release, not generally winding up but was able to snap the puck from all areas of the ice. Smaller players can not do this as well..simply a matter of physics.

Quailer, was very strong on and away from the the puck too. You don't get selected by the Canadians in "any" round unless your a special talent. His loss is and will be the difference of perhaps 5 games or 4th place to perhaps 8th place or just a becoming a bunch of kids playing "March" golf.

Why? because he made everyone else better. Cronin knew that. Heck if he hadn't been a sophomore he would have been Captain.

We were lucky to get him as he came within a hairs-*** at Age 18, of signing with Seattle in the WHL. The West coast equivalent of the AHL.

My greatest concern. is that he recovers and tries to go pro before he graduates, as I understand that he was not much of a school guy. I do not know for certain severity or the extent of his injury and hope him a full recovery and a blessed NHL career.

I do know that he received world class medical care.

However, I am hoping that his injury are making him rethink any thoughts of leaving (if he has them) and understanding that an NU degree can over time promise much more in both satisfaction and earnings potential then spending the better part of a a life time busting your *** as a virtual "unknown" in minor league hockey, riding in the back of a bus from Saskatoon to to Alberta in the dead of Winter, with no heat and the smell of bus toilet disinfectant permeating you and everything you own.
              Last edited by RossiRules; 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Justin Daniels was drafted before Quailer (1st pick of the third round). Is Justin a better pro prospect than Quailer? I have seen every HE team at least once and in my opinion the best D man in that league is our own Jake Newton. I don't think that Jake will stay for four years; Let's hope that we get a couple of more years, like Brad Thiessen. Neither Brad or Jake was drafted by the NHL ! I thought that the PC game was Justin Daniel's coming out party, he played a great game and Drew's best effort by far. They have shown great improvement this year; hope it continues, great coaching and patience with the two players is paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                  Justin Daniels was drafted before Quailer (1st pick of the third round). Is Justin a better pro prospect than Quailer? I have seen every HE team at least once and in my opinion the best D man in that league is our own Jake Newton. I don't think that Jake will stay for four years; Let's hope that we get a couple of more years, like Brad Thiessen. Neither Brad or Jake was drafted by the NHL ! I thought that the PC game was Justin Daniel's coming out party, he played a great game and Drew's best effort by far. They have shown great improvement this year; hope it continues, great coaching and patience with the two players is paying off.

I have seen Newton play only a couple of times but I do not think he is even close to being a pro prospect, he is not a very strong skater....

UMass killed NU today with a loss to Vermont. NU got help with Merrimack and Providence losing on Friday, but the mack is 3 points away with 3 games at hand. NU needs to play .700 hockey to make the playoffs. They are in a really bad spot and they do not have the talent to play that well especially with the schedule that they have left.
                  BU Terriers are suck!

Is BU really necessary?

Comment

I'd agree with Timmy, for the time being. Although give Newton two more years and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get an NHL two-way contract. He'll be on the HE all-rookie team this year. Assuming he progresses I'd guess he'll be gone after junior year just as many other pro prospects are in HE these days.

Quailer might have been done with NU after this year if he hadn't been injured. As Rico said, probably the best prospect since McGillis, although I'd say Morris was better except for the head injuries. Watching Quailer go spread eagle down the wing last year to guard the puck while waiting for everyone to catch up was an NHL move and he did it often. I don't know if we'd be five games better but certainly a few points at least.

JDan has been ok. He's had his moments. It will be interesting to see if he develops into a twenty point plus guy by next year. I think we're good enough to go .500 the rest of the way which would at least put us in the HE playoffs. Potential to finish dead last as well. I'd say the only other team that could finish there is Providence. At least it's a highly competitive league this year!

Comment

Not counting the 2 beanpot gms.. we have 10 games remaining..

..5 of which are at home.

If we can win at home, we'd have to steal 2 on the road.. difficult, no question. But taking care of those home gms is going to be key to any chance.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I just talked to someone who was at the SGA meeting tonight, and Peter Roby was there and made a few comments about coaches at Northeastern. From what I hear, Cronin is about a week away from an extension.

For those of you interested, Bill Coen already has an extension (no numbers were mentioned for either Cronin or Coen) and they were both mentioned in response to a question about Ed Matz. He said something about preventing Northeastern from being a stepping stone for coaches.

None of this is verified, but I actually heard it from two different people who were at the meeting. I'm going to see if I can talk to Roby at the women's hockey game tomorrow (if he's there).
                        Last edited by NUHuskies; 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM. Reason: added last sentence
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

Good for them.. good for us. Coach Coen is (was), a great find. Coach Cronin is too.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

http://gonu.com/mhockey/100125-huski...o_roster.shtml

..might help Fri against the potent Lowell offense..
                            might help beyond..
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Wow this should keep things interesting at least...

Anyone have any dirt on this kid?
                              Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

Originally posted by choog View Post
                                Wow this should keep things interesting at least...

Anyone have any dirt on this kid?
                                according to the EJHL website he committed to NU for the 08-09 season.

i haven't found any stats yet though.
                                GO NU!
                                --------------------------------------------------
                                2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS (no, srsly)

Comment

Working...
                                X