Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

Proud to be the conductor of the "Cronin Must Go" Bandwagon
    What does that even mean? I've never heard anyone speak ill of Cronin before in my life
    Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

Originally posted by choog View Post
      What does that even mean? I've never heard anyone speak ill of Cronin before in my life
      You're young. I've been against him since his signing. It's mainly a difference in opinion on his style of play and how he can't control his players at times. It's a style I don't think we can recruit successfully against those of BU and BC. It's a long explanation that I'd have to get into. I can explain tomorrow at the game if need be. I'm in the alumni section.

The main reason for it is that I haven't been on the board much in the last year and haven't changed by sig. Last year was great. Can't discredit it. It more refers to the first couple of years of him.

It stays until someone or something convinces me that his style of coaching and game play will work with the quality and strengths of the recruits we get.
      Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
      NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thiessen

was crowder that much better?

Comment

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Northeastern University Huskies Season Thread - Life Post Thie

Originally posted by hammer time View Post
          was crowder that much better?
          You know, I was just talking about this.

Why is it always the response to when i say I don't like cronin. Are they the only two coaches available ever? Why is there such a hard on for cronin as a savior?

Was Crowder good? No.
          Should he have been fired? Yes.
          Was Cronin the only person we interviewed? No.
          Was he the best available? NU thought so?
          Is there any unemployed coach out there that could have been considered as well? Yes.

The question is, is Cronin better? The answer, in my eyes is still not answered. Last year was great. #3 in the nation. NCAA appearance. Yea NU. BUT Cronin has had some awful years, ones worse than Crowder. Crowder had a good year or two, where we were a top 10 ranked team. Cronin just hasn't done enough in my eyes. This year looks to be more like his other years than it did his last year. Just saying.

Everyone needs to get off this Crowder vs. Cronin BS.

Think of it this way. Bush jr was President for 8 years. People hated him. People said he did a bad job. He leaves. In comes Obama. People thought he was the best for the job. But has he done any better? Is there anyone else that could do that job better? Who knows.

It was not a decision of Crowder vs. Cronin. It never was. We just knew Crowder wasn't the right person. Because of that, it doesn't make Cronin the right person. He's just a different person. A person of many possible options.

Get off it and actually analyze Cronin for Cronin and what NU needs and wants for the future. Crowder is forever dead in the world of NU Hockey.
          Doghouse Class of 2004

Comment

Its hard to gain people to get on a "Fire Cronin" bandwagon when he just led us to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years. Cronin has been a positive for the program, and it is because of him that the best talent in the BCHL wants to play for NU. What has he done wrong exactly? He has increased his win total every year since he got here. Do you really think another coach would have been able to persuade Colin Wilson, Nathan Gerbe, Nick Bonino, etc. to come to Northeastern? Cronin understands that he will not be able to sign the top New England recruits so he has focused his recruiting skills in other places.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
              You're young. I've been against him since his signing. It's mainly a difference in opinion on his style of play and how he can't control his players at times. It's a style I don't think we can recruit successfully against those of BU and BC. It's a long explanation that I'd have to get into. I can explain tomorrow at the game if need be. I'm in the alumni section.
              It stays until someone or something convinces me that his style of coaching and game play will work with the quality and strengths of the recruits we get.
              I feel your pain, I too was a big Carter Lee fan. After Cronin cut him he transferred to Lake Superior. Do you know what NHL team he is playing on?
              There is no alumni section in Matthews; seats are designated by section, row and seat number. Do you mean the Varsity Club?

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post

The main reason for it is that I haven't been on the board much in the last year and haven't changed by sig. Last year was great. Can't discredit it. It more refers to the first couple of years of him.

I was just curious to hear your thoughts - True: this is only my third season here, but these are the first negative statements I've heard towards Cronin.

Getting ready to head to Matthews soon, hopefully they perform better at home... we need all the points we can get at this point. I do NOT want us to go on break being the first team to be swept in HE...

Hopefully Rawlings is over his sinus infection and the head injury, but who knows
                Northeastern University, Class of 2012

GO NU

Comment

Good bounce-back game from the boys tonight. Mountain was great and our freshmen defensemen had good nights. I'm still concerned about the lack of offense. Macleod has been dormant, which is a problem.

Re: Cronin. There's not much more you can ask from the guy. He had a 3-win season with Crowder's recruits and has done as much as anyone could have with the program since then. He has revitalized the program, this all being moot due to the obvious fact that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon...which is good news.
                  Last edited by NJ2NU; 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Nice win against a decent Merrimack team. Hats off to our D for shutting DaCosta & their offense (that has looked potent this yr), down. Mountain did look good; very poised & stickhandled/cleared pucks with confidence

Re. Rawlings, i could have swore i saw him sitting upstairs in the upper section resting/watching during practice, but perhaps i'm wrong.

Regardless, we needed the 'W' before going up against a tough Maine team again. My only gripe.. can we not take stupid penalties with 2 mins left in the period? It happened twice tonight.. end of 2nd..when Mack scored to tie it up & then again end of 3rd.. where we held off (partly thnks to Mountain), for the win.

When we're ahead.. why are we taking silly/soft penalties? Let the opponent do that. There is no need on our part. I think Coach might want to stress that.

Besides this, nice job tonight team!
                    (oh & if there's an MVP hat going around in the locker room - hand it to Bryan Mountain tonight)
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      (oh & if there's an MVP hat going around in the locker room - hand it to Bryan Mountain tonight)
                      For sure. He played a great game tonight, looked poised and made some tough saves on some redirected shots. He also had a couple of really nice poke-checks on some threatening looking opportunities for Merrimack. Aside from Rawlings' performance against BU, this is probably the best goaltending performance the Huskies have had this season, especially when we consider the fact that MC averages almost 4 goals per game. I brought this up quite awhile ago just because I thought it could be good, but now I believe Mountain has made a great case for NU going to a goalie rotation.
                      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                      -dggoddard

Comment

I wouldn't get crazy about tonight. We got 2 big points. Can't complain about that.

I wouldn't call for Mountain to be the new guy. He didn't play that great. For every big save he made, which was only a handful, he made just as many bad rebounds, or bad lateral movements, or playing the puck in the corner shorthanded with nobody backing him up. He did play well enough for him to earn more time. I think its time for NU to go back to alternating goalies. With the youth we have, it'd be better to get 2 guys experience instead of putting all eggs in one basket.

The late penalties could be blamed on refs. I hate to do that though. The end of the second period was just another example of a bad penalty on McNeely. No reason for it. Lead to a goal. Bad leadership. Bad play. Almost cost us.

The end of the first period was the complete opposite. We were on the PP. We had chances. We need to start shooting more. We can't hesitate. If we do, just pass the puck again. There were a couple of chances late on that last PP of the first where if we had sticks down on the ice, we had a chance at a goal.

Getting your stick down is one of the first things you're taught after skating. You can't score a goal with your stick up in the air or pressed into the back of a defender. That was our problem in the first. And its been our problem since the savior became the head coach. Hit first, score second, that's the mindset. It doesn't work.

Its time to understand what this season is about. We're not a ranked team. We're not a NCAA team. We may not be a conference playoff team. Last year was last year. It is definitely not last year.

Time to re-evaluate and judge accordingly. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either completely insane or just a homebody that can't be taken seriously and should just be at Diehard Dogs with the rest of NU people that think NU football has a chance.

Before the season started, I had this team at 12 wins. Those currently in the doghouse looked at me with three heads. We're halfway there, with almost only HE games to go. I'm going to be wrong with my prediction, but only by 3 or so. 15 is the new mark to hit. .500 hockey is a successful season.

After this weekend, we need to wake up and realize that its not 2008 and we have some issues to discuss.
                        Doghouse Class of 2004

Comment

Im also not drinking the Mountain cool aid quite yet, yes he had a good game, but let's give the d some props, Mountain did make some saves but I think tonight the D was the bigger difference. Solid bounce back game just from the D's perspective, they looked pitiful Friday night.

Good to see we bounced back at home, I would have been REALLY worried had we not skated with a purpose, because on Friday frankly it looked like we didn't want to be on the ice.
                          Arenas Attended
                          Matthews Arena
                          Agganis Arena
                          Tsongas Arena
                          Lawler Arena
                          Schneider Arena
                          Mullins Center
                          TD Banknorth Garden
                          Conte Forum
                          Whittemore Center
                          Gutterson Fieldhouse
                          Alfond Arena
                          Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

It has nothing to do with the "Mountain cool aid" (at least in my case). He played well enough to earn more playing time. Period. It isn't as if Rawlings has been the second coming of Theissen, so I see no harm in going to more of a rotation right now. Mountain was better last night than Rawlings has been in almost any of his games this year, and I think that should earn him more starts.

I thought the offense played pretty well last night in terms of puck possession, time in the MC zone, etc., but the Huskies have some major issues when it comes to finishing. I think you hit it right on the head, NU Speed Racer, the Huskies' approach seems to be hit first, score second. It would be nice to see them throw more pucks on goal, especially when McNeely is on the ice. He has been great about getting to the front of the net. Prime territory for a redirect or a rebound.
                            Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                            -dggoddard

Comment

I'll hold off on calling for a strict rotation. Mountain was pedestrian on Friday and good last night, against Merrimack. For me, Rawlings is still the man, but it's nice to see we may have a capable back-up. No offense to Mike Binnington ( )
                              Last edited by NJ2NU; 12-06-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Garrett Vermeerch, in my opinion is the teams' most talented player, but he must take more shots. Garrett has a team leading 10 points on only 27, shots and Justin Daniels has 5 points on only 8 shots. Wade MacLeod and Kyle Kramer have taken 43 shots. Jake Newton is a frosh who knows what to do with the puck, he has 7 points on 38 shots.

Comment

Working...
                                X