2009-2010 Polls thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 Polls thread

Interesting weekend for the ranked teams and those receiving votes. Anyone care to make any predictions how the polls will react? Below are last week's rankings...

1 Mercyhurst (11) (Off week. Should stay #1)
    2 Clarkson ( 3) (Shutout by Cornell and beat Colgate.)
    3 Minnesota ( 1) (Beat and tied Mankato)
    4 New Hampshire (Off week...will questions raised regarding hand washing abilities affect poll position? )
    5 Minnesota-Duluth (Swept OSU)
    6 Wisconsin (Tied and beat WSU)
    7 Cornell (Shut out Clarkson and lost to SLU)
    8 Boston University (Spanked by Providence)
    9 Northeastern (Split with Maine)
    10 Princeton (Lost to Dartmouth and beat Harvard)

Others Receiving Votes:

Harvard 22 pts (Lost to Princeton and beat Quinnipiac)
    Dartmouth 12 pts (Beat Princeton and lost to Quinnipiac)
    Ohio State 7 pts (Swept by UMD)
    St. Lawrence 7 pts (Tied Colgate and Beat Cornell)
    Robert Morris 2 pts (Lost to and tied Niagara)
    Last edited by mattj711; 11-15-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I think Harvard will get back into the poll and NU will drop out (still receive votes). I might flip flop Minny and Clarkson too.

Comment

1. Mercyhurst - this team is for real
        2. Minny - plays Clarkson soon IRRC?
        3. UMD
        4. Clarkson
        5. Cornell
        6 . UNH - bad hand hygiene and all
        7. Northeastern - cause I said so
        8. Wisco
        9. BU - don't have the finishing touch yet
        10. SLU
        (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

I'm not sure BU will ever get the finishing touches. They pretty much only have Haber playing in net as Fromkin is still finding the ropes and the PK continues to be absolutely dismal.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
            Interesting weekend for the ranked teams and those receiving votes. Anyone care to make any predictions how the polls will react?
            My guess:

1. Mercyhurst
            2. Minnesota
            3. Clarkson
            4. UNH
            5. UMD
            6. Wisco
            7. Cornell
            8. Harvard
            9. Dartmouth
            10. Princeton

HM--Northeastern, BU, St. Lawrence

Comment

My guess:

1. Mercyhurst
              2. Clarkson
              3. Minnesota
              4. UNH
              5. UMD
              6. Wisco
              7. Cornell
              8. Northeastern
              9. Dartmouth
              10. Princeton
              Last edited by IceIsNice; 11-16-2009, 08:28 AM. Reason: Posted the original message on the heels of a devastating Patriots Loss (what was he thinking???)
              Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                My guess:

1. Mercyhurst
                2. Clarkson
                3. Minnesota
                5. UMD
                6. Wisco
                7. Cornell
                8. Northeastern
                9. Dartmouth
                10. Princeton
                I like this poll.

However, you're missing #4....which Im guessing belongs to the Wildgerms.
                (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

RStarr..... My post has been FYP'd.... I think you'll appreciate the reason for edit!
                  Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                    RStarr..... My post has been FYP'd.... I think you'll appreciate the reason for edit!
                    No problem, Ice, consider yourself hereby penalized 5 whoopie pies, which may put you out for the season

Speaking of which: Are we going to have a contest in conjunction with the USA - Hockey East game?

I'll be tied up working the event, but I can contribute without participating~
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Here it is:
                      Team (First Place) Record Pts Last Week
                      1 Mercyhurst (15) 9-1-0 150 1
                      2 Minnesota 9-2-1 125 3
                      3 Clarkson 12-2-1 122 2
                      4 New Hampshire 8-1-3 110 4
                      5 Minnesota-Duluth 9-5-0 90 5
                      6 Wisconsin 7-4-1 66 6
                      7 Cornell 5-3-0 63 7
                      8 Boston University 5-4-5 28 8
                      9 Northeastern 8-2-2 26 9
                      10 Princeton 5-2-1 23 10

Comment

I think voters were just confused by everyone losing last week, in the 8-13 range so no one moved anything :P

Cornell is firmly a top 7 team now, then there's separation.

Notice that in Rutter's rankings 8/9/10 are
                        Harvard/BU/Northeastern
                        In the RPI it's
                        Northeastern/Princeton/BC (actually Northeastern has a better RPI than Wisco).

Personally i'd go with Princeton, Harvard, Northeastern in some order.

I really don't get why BU seems impermeable to any defeat. Providence is just a bad, bad loss. At least Harvard's losses are all to teams in the poll, and they've beaten two quality teams outside of it (SLU & Quinnipiac, who yes I, now say is a quality team, along with Vermont -- Colgate, not so much any more).

Comment

Current #2 and #3 coming up pretty soon...good series!
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Providence is a good team......, they might have been in a bit of a funk the last few weeks but they have a lot of talent and I wouldn't be surprised if they're competing come season's end.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                              Providence is a good team......, they might have been in a bit of a funk the last few weeks but they have a lot of talent and I wouldn't be surprised if they're competing come season's end.
                              Believe it or not, but I completely agree

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                                I really don't get why BU seems impermeable to any defeat. Providence is just a bad, bad loss. At least Harvard's losses are all to teams in the poll, and they've beaten two quality teams outside of it (SLU & Quinnipiac, who yes I, now say is a quality team, along with Vermont -- Colgate, not so much any more).
                                I think that the line between quality and mediocrity is very fine this year. The ECAC in particular is hard to understand. In part, because it has three teams -- Yale, Union, and Brown -- that apparently can't score. Union's stats don't look as bad because of two Sacred Heart games. When offense is absent, a flukey bounce goes a long way to making a team appear better or worse than their opponent.

The "Q" shows signs of being another Vermont-type team with results all over the map. They beat DC and Northeastern, whale on RPI, but get swept at home by Niagara. I know that the Purp's new regime has them playing better, but they've been a good-result/bad-result team against all their other opponents.

From what I can see, almost every team has at least one major flaw. Minnesota is currently ranked #2, but the Gophers are not a good defensive team. They are allowing more than 27 shots a game, while in the previous four years they've been consistently in the 21 to 23 neighborhood. These shots aren't long-range dump ins -- many are quality chances. And I don't see that increase as being attributable to facing tougher offenses, because outside of OSU, the opposing offenses have been down. Räty elevates Minnesota, but unless they can tighten up, their weakness will be exposed during her Olympic absence.

Maybe this season comes down to match ups. Clarkson falls to Cornell -- does that suggest a vulnerability to speed? If that is a chink in their armor, a team can probably get deep into the posteason w/o running into that problem, because I'm not sure how many pure speed teams there are. It definitely promises to be an intriguing tourney where the brackets will help determine the outcome.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X