Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Polls thread

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    The rankings don't appear to be working on the site yet, but here they are now.
    Bucky at #4 -- I wouldn't have expected that. I suppose some of their losses being to teams that aren't under consideration, plus the sweep of UM giving them COP over teams like Clarkson and Harvard, allows them to reverse the RPI deficit.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Agreed, if you replace "some" with "almost all." I think they're 5-1-2 against TUCs (including 3-0-1 against Minnesota and UMD). Note that poll voters overall are not buying the NCAA logic.

The other difference between the poll and PWR is NU vs. UConn. NU has not done well against TUCs.

Comment

The rankings don't appear to be working on the site yet...
        And away we go ...

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr_w.php

Comment

The rankings don't appear to be working on the site yet...
          Originally posted by ARM View Post
          The individual comparisons link still isn't working. So we're halfway there.
          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

So, not to overstate the value of polls and rankings, but for the sake of debate.... I'm assuming the fact that Minnesota needed to go to a shootout to beat Bemidji twice doesn't enter into the occasion.... the math says they got two "W"'s, right?

But, In theory, what would you put greater value on? A win and a tie against #4, or a two shootout wins against an unranked team?

I'm pretty sure the math favors the Gophers in this, but..... isn't that just a wee bit illogical?

Just asking...means nothing in the scheme of things, but... figured it would make for some debate! Thoughts??
            Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
              So, not to overstate the value of polls and rankings, but for the sake of debate.... I'm assuming the fact that Minnesota needed to go to a shootout to beat Bemidji twice doesn't enter into the occasion.... the math says they got two "W"'s, right?

But, In theory, what would you put greater value on? A win and a tie against #4, or a two shootout wins against an unranked team?

I'm pretty sure the math favors the Gophers in this, but..... isn't that just a wee bit illogical?

Just asking...means nothing in the scheme of things, but... figured it would make for some debate! Thoughts??
              Their Overall record will show 2 ties.
              The WCHA Dynasty
              Wisconsin
              National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
              MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
              National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
              MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
              National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
              MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                I don't know the answer to your question. My assumption would be they aren't recognized as Ws, but rather two ties officially. I wouldn't guess the Gophers results would be favorable to the Lakers W & T though in any mathematical rankings formula.
                Last edited by brookyone; 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Blogger and brooky are correct -- two ties for the Gophs. However, the MC tie does allow Minnesota to pass them for the time being in the PWR, because Bemidji is currently not a Team Under Consideration, while Clarkson is. Thus, Minnesota owns a lead in both common opponents and TUC, to offset the Laker advantage in RPI.

Comment

Quoting myself from the Gopher thread , I had a thought about the next opinion polls...
                    Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    Given UNH's home loss to Providence (the two finish their home-and-home on Sunday), Clarkson losing to and then tying Mercyhurst, Wisconsin losing the first game at UMD, and Harvard's tie with Cornell on Friday, I expect the Gophers will remain in second place in this coming week's polls (though they'll probably lose that last first place vote in the USCHO poll).
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      Quoting myself from the Gopher thread , I had a thought about the next opinion polls...
                      It will be interesting to see how the polls shake out all together. UNH getting swept by a non ranked Providence this weekend. MN going into OT twice against Bemidji, Clarkson losing then tying Mercyhurst, Harvard tie and a win. Not knowing that much about the polls, will any of these results affect the standings?
                      GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

My take:

-- I'd be pretty surprised of any outcome other than Mercyhurst 1, Minnesota 2. Three points against Clarkson is better than two shootout wins against Bemidji State, and Mercyhurst was ahead to begin with. Though Minnesota may pick up some points due to the logic that Clarkson is a common opponent, and Minnesota swept them. In fact, this logic more or less has Minnesota at No. 1 in the USCHO Pairwise Rankings right now.

-- I expect Clarkson to pass UNH at No. 3. A 1-point weekend against Mercyhurst is much better than getting swept by Providence in my view.

-- I have no idea how far UNH will far. Probably not too much. Though fact remains, UNH hasn't beaten any of the top 6 teams outside of Hockey East. But I expect UNH will far only to 4 or 5.

-- I expect Providence will move into the top 10.

Comment

actually Providence is up to 10th in the Pairwise Rankings now (dropping Holy Cross), so never mind...

Comment

My take:

-- I'd be pretty surprised of any outcome other than Mercyhurst 1, Minnesota 2. Three points against Clarkson is better than two shootout wins against Bemidji State, and Mercyhurst was ahead to begin with. Though Minnesota may pick up some points due to the logic that Clarkson is a common opponent, and Minnesota swept them. In fact, this logic more or less has Minnesota at No. 1 in the USCHO Pairwise Rankings right now.

--
                            I'd be surprised to see Mercyhurst stay at number one simply based on their weak schedule. Friday's win over Clarkson was only their second win against a top 10 team. (They played Cornell early - in fact Cornell's first games -when they were yet to be ranked) Other than that, they split with UMD and couldn't sweep number 4.

#1 Minny
                            #2 Mercyhurst
                            #3 Clarkson
                            #4 Harvard
                            #5 Wisco
                            #6 UNH

I also expect Quinnipiac to slip in at #10, surprised it hasn't happened before this.
                            Last edited by fanfirst; 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM. Reason: To Predict the Q

Comment

Originally posted by fanfirst View Post
                              I'd be surprised to see Mercyhurst stay at number one simply based on their weak schedule. Friday's win over Clarkson was only their second win against a top 10 team. (They played Cornell early - in fact Cornell's first games -when they were yet to be ranked) Other than that, they split with UMD and couldn't sweep number 4.

#1 Minny
                              #2 Mercyhurst
                              #3 Clarkson
                              #4 Harvard
                              #5 Wisco
                              #6 UNH

I also expect Quinnipiac to slip in at #10, surprised it hasn't happened before this.
                              IMO, Mercyhurst stays at #1, UNH doesn't fall as far as #6, and there is no way that Wisconsin gets swept by UMD and gets ranked higher than the 'Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                IMO, Mercyhurst stays at #1, UNH doesn't fall as far as #6, and there is no way that Wisconsin gets swept by UMD and gets ranked higher than the 'Dogs.
                                I would be surprised to see Mercyhurst fall from #1 and UNH fall Lower than UW.

I am surprised that Bucky is even in the top 10 with the inconsistency that has become the norm this year.
                                The WCHA Dynasty
                                Wisconsin
                                National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                                MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                                National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                                MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                                National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                                MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Working...
                                X