Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Actually U played well in the first period tonight, their big sin was that they didn't pot 2 or 3 goals. After that it was all downhill as Harvard looked like they wanted it more and U inexplicably was slow & lethargic.. of course until they got behind by 4 goals and started playing with urgency. Disappointing as U could have all but sewn up a top 4 spot with a win.

These seeming lapses in effort and execution are quite unsettling, though is nice to see the offensive explosiveness. Still, I agree with Wholin that U can't count on winning games 5-4 etc. in the playoffs. The team defense and goaltending are going to need to step up. Kinkaid's recent ups & downs are a concern too. He was horrible in the 1st period of the Clarkson game, but got away with it because he only saw 4 shots. He seemed to get his confidence back in the 2nd period and against SLU the next night, but then flamed at Dartmouth. Hopefully these are just growing pains, but I think his play is really key to settling things down defensively.

And as much as the PWR is worth following, the immediate emphasis is on finishing in the ECAC top 4. As point of reference, U tied for 4th 2 seasons ago with 25 points. This season I think 26-27 points will be needed, so next weekend is obviously huge. The PWR etc. is still over a month away from being resolved and things will likely change a lot as all the leagues get into their playoffs. I'm still optimistic, but much work to be done.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Here is the link to Ken Scott's post game video interviews last night of Coach Leaman, Schreiber and MVT. All referred to U's "lack of desperation" in their play and the tendency to fall behind early. Interesting also, was NL's obvious dissatisfaction with the goal play which he apparently wasn't surprised by due to poor practice performances by both goalies this week . Also, he would not comment on Wakita's apparent benching in the third period. On a separate and more positive note, I thought Julseth-White had a good weekend and may IMO deserve more consistent playing time.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/videos/2010/feb/13/397/

Comment

The new game plan for Union is to give up the first 4 goals as quickly as possible so they have more time for their comeback.

Comment

We don't have a recruit thread and we're still in the heat of the ECAC battle so please forgive my digression.

Union will be graduating 8 seniors this year, one of the bigger groups to leave in recent seasons and obviously some big skates to fill. Heisenberg has been quiet since December, with 6 candidates due to matriculate next fall, barring defections and one scheduled for 2011. I assume the staff is looking for a goalie and one more skater for next season. Anyone ideas, rumors, whatever?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            We don't have a recruit thread and we're still in the heat of the ECAC battle so please forgive my digression.

Union will be graduating 8 seniors this year, one of the bigger groups to leave in recent seasons and obviously some big skates to fill. Heisenberg has been quiet since December, with 6 candidates due to matriculate next fall, barring defections and one scheduled for 2011. I assume the staff is looking for a goalie and one more skater for next season. Anyone ideas, rumors, whatever?
            The D is set for next season. Up front, 4 forward recruits would make 15 forwards on the roster. It's possible the coaches could bring in another forward so would have a little more depth in case of injuries etc., but would likely be more of a "depth" recruit as 3 of the 4 forwards IMO are high-end and will likely get immediate ice time. My guess is that they will stay with what they have coming. Maybe just my impression, but seems the coaches are moving on to the '11 recruits. In addition to Mingoia, U was recently mentioned in USHR as being in the running for a good forward at Exeter who just verbaled to Dartmouth for '11.

As for the goaltender, I know they were looking at a good prospect in Ontario (originally from Mass.) who has since committed to UML. Since replacing Sillery, could go for a 3rd string type or could snag someone better who can step in when Milan graduates next year. My guess is they'll go for someone who is satisfied to open doors and fill water bottles.. but of course I've been wrong with these types of predictions before .

Comment

The topic came up on last week's game thread about what if Leaman left for another coaching gig.. does anyone know when Leaman's current contract runs out? I thought he got a new 4 year deal about 2-3 years ago so would think it might be this season or next.

Comment

As of right now, barring defections Union would be at 27 players next year adding a third goalie so I wouldn't expect more than 2 more players being recruited for next season as late additions like Stuart and Bergeron were (both being listed on Heisenberg's site in May, although Bergeron had committed earlier. The lineup on defense, forward, and goal are all going to be hard to crack. I had some free time so I did a breakdown of next season's current roster.

Defense (9):

2. Nolan Julseth-White
                3. Ryan Forgaard
                4. Taylor Reid
                6. Brock Matheson
                17. Jean Sebastian Bergeron
                20. Greg Coburn
                28. Sean Stuart
                ??. Mat Bodie
                ??. Michael Ingoldsby

Julseth-White, Forgaard, Matheson, Coburn, Stuart, and Bodie all look to be the preferred lineup next season barring injury or great pre-season practices from Inoldsby, Reid, and Bergeron. There are only 3 left defensemen on the roster for next season which may help Ingoldsby find the lineup. Union started the season with 10 defensemen on the roster before Ekstrom left for St. Norbert with only 7 seeing playing time in NCAA contests.

Forward (15):

10. Luke Cain
                11. Justin Pallos
                12. Kyle Bodie
                14. Andrew Buote
                19. Kelly Zajac
                21. Wayne Simpson
                23. John Simpson
                25. Stephane Boileau
                26. Brian Yanovitch
                27. Jeremy Welch
                29. Adam Presizniuk
                ??. Daniel Carr
                ??. Matt Hatch
                ??. Josh Jooris
                ??. Kevin Sullivan

Union still should be able to roll three potent lines next season with Cain, Bodie, Buote, Zajac, Wayne Simpson, John Simpson, Boileau, Welsh, Presizniuk, Carr, Jooris, and Sullivan as being likely to get the most playing time with Yanovitch, Hatch, and Pallos battling for minutes with Yanovitch being the wildcard who could be in or out depending on how he finishes this season and how he does in pre-season practices. Union has 16 forwards on the roster for this season with 15 having appeared in a game.

Goaltender (3):

30. Keith Kinkaid
                31. Corey Milan
                ??.

There will definitely be a third goalie on the roster for next season, I wouldn't place money on a door opener, but Union has traditionally gone with a clear cut third stringer.
                Last edited by Dutchfan; 02-16-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  The topic came up on last week's game thread about what if Leaman left for another coaching gig.. does anyone know when Leaman's current contract runs out? I thought he got a new 4 year deal about 2-3 years ago so would think it might be this season or next.
                  I believe Leaman signed a four year extension which would have ended after this season but then signed another two year extension in 2008 which if I've got the years correct, would run through the 2011-2012 season. Union showed their appreciation and trust in Nate by giving him what I believe was the first multi year contract in program history. I would guess that he won't stay forever but would like to take care of some unfinished business before he moves on.

I hope that if he does leave, that we can hold on to the assistants in the meantime, especially Rick Bennett who is a class act and IMO would be an excellent replacement. IIRC Bennett was a finalist for the Brown job this summer. However, I would also speculate that if the opportunity presents itself with so few D-1 programs, he too would leave under the right circumstances. (I don't mean to slight Ben Barr who I also think is an excellent individual, but not likely experienced enough at this point for a D-1 head coaching job at this point.). I assume all of the coaches' stock will continue to rise after we win the ECAC championship next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                    Goaltender (3):

30. Keith Kinkaid
                    31. Corey Milan
                    ??.

There will definitely be a third goalie on the roster for next season, I wouldn't place money on a door opener, but Union has traditionally gone with a clear cut third stringer.
                    Most schools do, and given Union's situation where they've got a great goaltender with 3 more years to go, and a half-way decent goaltender with 2 more years to go, I'd presume Sillery's replacement would be a walk on.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I believe Leaman signed a four year extension which would have ended after this season but then signed another two year extension in 2008 which if I've got the years correct, would run through the 2011-2012 season. Union showed their appreciation and trust in Nate by giving him what I believe was the first multi year contract in program history. I would guess that he won't stay forever but would like to take care of some unfinished business before he moves on.

I hope that if he does leave, that we can hold on to the assistants in the meantime, especially Rick Bennett who is a class act and IMO would be an excellent replacement. IIRC Bennett was a finalist for the Brown job this summer. However, I would also speculate that if the opportunity presents itself with so few D-1 programs, he too would leave under the right circumstances. (I don't mean to slight Ben Barr who I also think is an excellent individual, but not likely experienced enough at this point for a D-1 head coaching job at this point.). I assume all of the coaches' stock will continue to rise after we win the ECAC championship next month.
                      Thanks Wholin, I had a feeling you might know.. found this link and, yep, its thru 11-12. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/member...eamanExtension

Also agree that Bennett would make an excellent head coach, though I suspect he may indeed become one in the next couple seasons if the opportunity presents itself (actually Providence might be ready to reload if they continue to stay in the bottom half of HE). As for Barr, I actually would be ok with him being promoted to head if the circumstances ended up that way.. from what I understand he's really done a great job, particularly on the recruiting end, and relates very well to the players. Sneddon was in his 20s when he got abruptly promoted, so could do much worse IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        Most schools do, and given Union's situation where they've got a great goaltender with 3 more years to go, and a half-way decent goaltender with 2 more years to go, I'd presume Sillery's replacement would be a walk on.
                        Milan actually only has one more season left.. but otherwise agree with your assessment.

Comment

Here is the link to Ken Scott's post game video interviews last night of Coach Leaman, Schreiber and MVT. All referred to U's "lack of desperation" in their play and the tendency to fall behind early. Interesting also, was NL's obvious dissatisfaction with the goal play which he apparently wasn't surprised by due to poor practice performances by both goalies this week . Also, he would not comment on Wakita's apparent benching in the third period. On a separate and more positive note, I thought Julseth-White had a good weekend and may IMO deserve more consistent playing time.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/videos/2010/feb/13/397/
                          Wakita's benching wasn't apparent. He WAS benched.
                          "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by slapschott View Post
                            Wakita's benching wasn't apparent. He WAS benched.
                            Yes SIR! Oh and sorry about the spelling, Scotty.

Comment

Yes SIR! Oh and sorry about the spelling, Scotty.
                              At least you didn't replace the "o" with an "i." LOL
                              "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

This is not what we need: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...oburn-injured/

Best wishes to Greg, I'm hoping the injury is minor but it doesn't sound like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X