Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Is anyone going to make the trip to Storrs, CT next week? I'm thinking about it.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

2010 recruit Daniel Carr has been traded from the AJHL to Powell River of the BCHL where he'll join another future Dutchman in Mat Bodie. Mike Wakita, Kyle Bodie, and Adam Presizniuk are all Powell River alumni.

Comment

Lane Caffaro scored what I believe was his first AHL goal last night in WB/Scranton's 4-3 win over Adirondack. He also assisted on another goal and had an assist in the previous night's game against the River Rats.

Comment

We obviously let one slip away yesterday v. UMass. The dreaded 2 goal lead wasn't enough as Union allowed UMass to dictate play in the 3rd period, at least so far as what I heard and have read. UMass has what has to be one of the top lines in the country and UMass dominated play with a 3 goal outburst in about 7 minutes in the final period. At least one of those 3 goals might have been a soft one according to Matt Dubray. Union had a bunch of chances in the last 2 minutes or so with the goalie pulled, but couldn't put one away.

I think the turning point might actually have been in the first period when Union converted almost immediately on a 5 on 3 PP for a 1-0 lead but had a 5 on 4 for almost 5 minutes on the second major penalty after the score but on which they couldn't convert.

At least it wasn't a league game, but it would have been a huge win. I'd like to see the Simpson line start to click again and Prez is mired in a long stretch without scoring a goal, I think since October or early November. Union really needs to get him going.

I don't know much about UConn, today's opponent, but Army will be a handful at West Point on Saturday. I'm guessing that Milan will start today, he looked sharp against the U-18s in his last start. Two wins are necessary in my view in order to resume league play on a positive note the following weekend which starts with a tough road trip vs. PU and Qpac.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Union takes care of business against an overmatched UConn team. Congratulations to coach Nate Leaman on his 100th win.

Comment

After a tough loss against Umass in the opener of the Uconn Tourney, Union bounces back with wins over Uconn and Army - in 2-1 OT fashion at West Point Saturday. Jason Walters with 2 goals, Corey Milan with another strong performance including perhaps a game saving sliding save. Corey's given up 1, 0 and 1 in his last 3 games. Union hit 3 posts in the game. Army hung tough through two, but they were double shifting a lot of their guys and just seemed to be overmatched and worn down a bit at the end. Alvarez is a heck of a hockey player for them, and goalie Clark really kept Army in it. The last three U/Army matchups have been 1 goal Union wins.

League play the rest of the way, starting on the road against a rejuvinated Princeton team and a high power Qpac squad. Princeton and Qpac play eachother on Monday this week as well.

We'll have all the action - 6:45 pregame, 7pm face off - Fri and Sat, 89.7 WRUC in Schen, and on the internet - www.teamline.cc - search for Union College Athletics!

Comment

I was at last night's Army game and Union played a poor first two periods. They physically dominated the first, but could not hold passes. Army looked overmatched, but they got out of the period with a 1-1 tie. Army did better in the second period and I would say they got the better of it. The ice was tilted in the third and OT in favor of Union.

I must respectfully disagree with UnionHockeyRadio on his assessment of Milan's performance. While he only permitted one goal, he left some bad rebounds. A better offensive team would have racked him up. Ultimately I cannot complain about a one-goal effort in net, bit I cannot sing his praises either.

Overall, Union was able to come out with an OT win against a team that they physically dominated (speed and strength). We'll take the win, but Union should have beaten Army easily.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Great to see Jason Walters take ECAC player of the week honors! Even better to see the team move up to #17 in the USCHO poll!

Comment

Originally posted by union07 View Post
                    Great to see Jason Walters take ECAC player of the week honors! Even better to see the team move up to #17 in the USCHO poll!
                    All well and good, but what I really want to see is this team living up to the potential it has shown to this point in the season.

Comment

16th in the Power Rankings
                      17th in the CBS/USCHO Poll
                      19th in the USA Today Poll

More importantly though, we play Princeton and Quinnipiac this weekend. I truly believe that this will be a defining weekend for our team. Our undefeated ECAC record will be on the line and these two teams are looked at as very strong in the ECAC this season.

On a side note, I haven't posted here since Coach Leaman won his 100th so congratulations to him! Also congratulations to Wally on winning ECAC player of the week honors. This is the third week in a row that a Dutchman has won this award (Mario had won the prior two weeks).

LET'S GO U!
                      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                        More importantly though, we play Princeton and Quinnipiac this weekend. I truly believe that this will be a defining weekend for our team. Our undefeated ECAC record will be on the line and these two teams are looked at as very strong in the ECAC this season.
                        Agreed - huge weekend ahead, but they're all huge from now on. Union's had some recent trouble with Q and considering how well they've started this year, a win there would be quite an achievement (not that they couldn't do it, of course). This trip is quickly becoming one of those not-so-desired ones for ECAC teams.

I never expect a road sweep and I don't expect one this time, but getting 2 points out of this weekend would be sufficient for me. Anything more than that is icing on the cake, IMO.
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

This has kicked around the RPI thread, but if you see streaks as meaningful, then both of us are catching Quinnipiac at a struggling time. If they haven't had their "wake-up call" yet (we'll try not to give TOO much of one for when they play you, although we'd also like to get a 4-point weekend), then RPI and Union may find this to be a successful weekend. Personally I think anything can happen on any day, otherwise we wouldn't be playing the games.

But, it's one game at a time. Best of luck against Princeton; we'll look closely at the results of your game for when we play them later that weekend, while I'm sure you'll use our notes against Q-Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            This has kicked around the RPI thread, but if you see streaks as meaningful, then both of us are catching Quinnipiac at a struggling time. If they haven't had their "wake-up call" yet (we'll try not to give TOO much of one for when they play you, although we'd also like to get a 4-point weekend), then RPI and Union may find this to be a successful weekend. Personally I think anything can happen on any day, otherwise we wouldn't be playing the games.

But, it's one game at a time. Best of luck against Princeton; we'll look closely at the results of your game for when we play them later that weekend, while I'm sure you'll use our notes against Q-Pac.
                            Dude, I'm in accord with your comments but one streak that remains intact I believe is Qpac's unblemished record at home. The "Bank" seems to have become somewhat of a snakepit for visiting teams. I personally believe however that PU may be the tougher team for the CD teams this weekend as they seem to be on the improve. Odd that they seem to be doing better without Kalemba. Not sure if he's been benched or may be injured.

I'd like to see some of Union's secondary lines begin to heat up a bit. I have a feeling that Union may be going to a goalie rotation this weekend. On the RPI side, D'Amigo has been pretty spectacular at the World Juniors. Good luck to the USA in tonight's final v. Canada. JDA's return alone could be enough to get RPI ignited. We'll worry about that next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              Dude, I'm in accord with your comments but one streak that remains intact I believe is Qpac's unblemished record at home. The "Bank" seems to have become somewhat of a snakepit for visiting teams. I personally believe however that PU may be the tougher team for the CD teams this weekend as they seem to be on the improve. Odd that they seem to be doing better without Kalemba. Not sure if he's been benched or may be injured.

I'd like to see some of Union's secondary lines begin to heat up a bit. I have a feeling that Union may be going to a goalie rotation this weekend. On the RPI side, D'Amigo has been pretty spectacular at the World Juniors. Good luck to the USA in tonight's final v. Canada. JDA's return alone could be enough to get RPI ignited. We'll worry about that next week.
                              Just as long as y'all don't make it 3-for-3 on him. (well, 3-for-4, but still...)

Comment

These guys can sing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeGQ...layer_embedded

Comment

Working...
                                X