Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

It's that time again...summer's over so it must be hockey season.

One unfortunate reality looms large for Minnesota IMO, after losing so many pts. to graduation and other circumstances beyond our control...Minnesota is without their top returning scorer (or one of, considering identical pts. for Emily West) in 2009-2010. A pretty significant hit to the team that I think I've mentioned a few times now, so I'll cease and desist with that remark. There's obviously opportunities for many on the roster to play larger roles this season...and a need for many to step into those roles successfully.

Up first is Syracuse. I'm really hoping there are no repeats of last seasons opener vs. another CHA team.

I don't recall a situation with three goaltenders in the past...when each / any of them could, and will battle for #1. A good situation for a team if everyone can be kept happy. Grogan was awesome as a frosh...Lura was solid each time out that I can recall...add Noora Räty to that duo, I think Gopher fans have to be happy with the potential at the goaltending position this season.

Anyway, I'm ready...and looking forward to see what Frosty has up his sleeve for lines...particularly at center, PP and PK units. Lotta new twists I'd expect. It'll be nice to see what Ludwigson, May, Horton do with the increased ice time. I thought they all played well when called upon last season.

I never saw Sam Downey play in high school. Anyone know if she centered a line?

Anyone catch the Maroon vs. Gold scrimmage? How'd that go?

GO GOPHERS!
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    ...and looking forward to see what Frosty has up his sleeve for lines...
    I expect that we'll see a few experiments before arriving at static line combinations, including a few auditions at center. Might take some trial and error to learn who handles all the requirements of the position (faceoffs, playmaking, defensive match ups, etc.) best.

Anyone catch the Maroon vs. Gold scrimmage? How'd that go?
    Gold won, 4-1. Players didn't necessarily play for the same color from period to period. Between that switching and no numbers on the jerseys, I could figure out who a given individual was, but it was tough to know who all 10 skaters were on the fly. We need some forwards to stand out. IMO, I thought a couple did last night, but we need more.

Remind me to be patient this season, because I think patience will be required.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Gophers will be followed here in Finland now. You have two local players in roster and Gophers is not anymore just a funny name amomg others. Noora and Mira will join national team from 30th Oct to 7th Nov for 4Nations in Finland. They will fly back on 8th Nov. Next time they are with national team is MLP Nations Cup in Germany from 3rd to 11th Jan 2010. And finally Olympics 31 Jan to 25th Feb. They will be back in Minnesota for first qualification round in NCAA. Team Finland is having Olympic pre camp in Colorado Springs from 31 Jan to 7th Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Habs View Post
        Gophers is not anymore just a funny name amomg others.
        This shoulda been the thread title.
        Last edited by brookyone; 09-30-2009, 03:23 AM.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Habs View Post
          Team Finland is having Olympic pre camp in Colorado Springs from 31 Jan to 7th Feb.
          And playing Team USA at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Feb 4. I'll be there.
          There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/09/29/wo...ely-new-talent

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204803852
            Last edited by brookyone; 09-30-2009, 04:41 AM.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

From the Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci...nclick_check=1

Comment

Series preview from Gophersports:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204804479

A sudden flood of infotainment...must be getting close to game time.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Yep, it's time to DROP THE PUCK!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Off season thread opened on April 19, 189 posts, approximately 1 per day.

New thread opened two days ago. Already, with this one, 10 posts.

Yup, must be getting close to game time.

Drop the puck.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      Off season thread opened on April 19, 189 posts, approximately 1 per day.

New thread opened two days ago. Already, with this one, 10 posts.

Yup, must be getting close to game time.

Drop the puck.
                      23 hours and counting..... Couple speculations? Will we see all 3 goalies tomorrow or over the weekend? What will the lines look like. I predict West , Francis, and Erickson will start the game, after that, who knows. The Defense will hold the key to success. What say you?

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post
                        23 hours and counting..... Couple speculations? Will we see all 3 goalies tomorrow or over the weekend? What will the lines look like. I predict West , Francis, and Erickson will start the game, after that, who knows. The Defense will hold the key to success. What say you?
                        I would expect that he would give each gaolie, starting with Grogan, the opportunity to finish each of the first few games, barring the unusual (bad start, needing a change to motivate team, etc.). For the first few games, I would expect he would give each goalie an opportunity to show what they have, and then evaluate how each performed. If one of them starts out well but then falters, the other two will probably get their chance to shine.

I don't know about the starting forward line, but your guess is as good as any. All of his comments to date are focused on taking care of business in their defensive zone, and then creating opportunities from there and getting their scoring from turnovers, blocked shots, hard work and "gritty" play.

He is relying of a stout defense and great goalie play to lead to wins, which given their loss of scoring from last year's team is probably the right approach. They key, I think, will be for the forwards to take advantage of their opponent's mistakes (after minding their defensive responsibilities) and create some offensive pressure when given the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan View Post
                          At the end of last season Grogan had been advanced to number 1, sorta, I guess (Lura still seemed like at least no worse than 1A to me). New season, my guess is last year's number 1 opens at number 1. It is a little like last season when there were two established goalers in the program and a highly thought of newcomer. Last season the intent seemed to be to give each of the three two periods on the opening weekend. It might be the same this season but I still think Grogan probably gets the first start.

Lines? Only two returning centers, Erickson and Horton. Erickson was third line most of last season, occasionally second. Horton was almost always fourth. I guess that moves Erickson up to first line. Your guess as her wings looks solid to me, West and Francis are both veterans, proven performers, they deserve a look as top line wings. But where does Blankenship fit in then?

Ah, hockey. I guess we will all know pretty soon.

Drop the puck.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Gophers Womens Hockey Preview in today's StarTribune:

U women lose goal scorers but maintain goal

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...7PQLanchO7DiUr

plus:

Gophers women at a glance

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                              I guess that moves Erickson up to first line. Your guess as her wings looks solid to me, West and Francis are both veterans, proven performers, they deserve a look as top line wings. But where does Blankenship fit in then?
                              While I'm sure we'll start with the top line that oldfan describes, I'd like to see a unit of Erickson between West and Blankenship at some point. I think that's our best bet for a pure speed line. Personally, I'd give Francis a try at center. She seems to have more of a center mentality than a lot of the other candidates.

If they stick with the same D pairs I saw Sunday night, then I'd expect 26/19, 22/8, 2/20.

In net ... maybe you play the two who have had the best week of practice and go from there. One of the three had a shakier couple of periods on Sunday, but I doubt you give that too much weight (you can't totally ignore it either.) One difference from last season is that you know going in that Räty is going to miss several weekends, so it may not be prudent to banish either of the other two to the bench too soon.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X