Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I guess I missed this b'day also. Happy belated birthday, Dave.
    It isn't belated yet. Brooky was just getting a head start on today.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by BozIce99 View Post
      Wow, those videos from the 3 GWH championships are really great to watch.
      Yes, it's always fun to relive those happy times.

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      It isn't belated yet. Brooky was just getting a head start on today.
      In that case, have a happy birthday, hold the belated.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Great news for Gopher fans :

Gophers Scheduled for BTN Broadcasts

Comment

Great news for Gopher fans :

Gophers Scheduled for BTN Broadcasts
          Printed and saved, thanks.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204865988

GO GOPHERS!
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              "Between the two teams, four players will be missing from this series as they compete for their national team. The Gophers will be without Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo, while OSU will be missing Natalie Spooner and Minttu Tuominen. They are all competing at the MLP Cup in Germany, but will return to their respective teams following this weekend."

Should be a pretty even trade as long as Grogan and/or Lura play well.

Comment

Okay, so the first period was plain you-gly. You could tell that the whole team was still shaking off the holiday break (after Ohio State had restarted last weekend).

It was also obvious that Alyssa hadn't seen serious action in net in a while -- her only action since November 1st (her last start before tonight) was when she faced 6 shots in mop-up action against UND four weeks ago (Dec. 13). Not only did she not stop the bouncing puck that went in for the first Buckeye goal (though I had a feeling it might go in when it bounced a second time several feet in front of her), but she had trouble passing/handing the puck off to her teammates all three times she went behind the net in the first period. Just not good.

But thankfully the rust seemed to go away during the first intermission. At one point, the shots on goal in the second period were 10-1 in the Gophers' favor, and the final shot totals for the period were 14-4. The Gopher power play also converted their second opportunity when Megan Bozek tied the game at 2-2.

Congrats to Jaimie Horton for her first-star performance in tonight's game, scoring the first Gopher goal -- her first of the season -- and assisting on the all-important insurance goal that made the score 4-2 early in the third period. Sarah Erickson also came up big with 3 assists. Emily West, Brittany Francis, and Kelli Blankenship also had multi-point nights.

It did look like stuff was starting to get rough in the third period. Coincidental penalties were called on OSU's Kelly Wild and Gopher Sarah Erickson for holding, and I was surprised that there weren't others. It will be interesting to see how much of that aggressiveness will carry over to Saturday's game.

Here are a couple of links:
                -- Box Score
                -- GopherSports.com game recap with interview video
                -- ARM's recap on PowerPlayClub.org
                Last edited by CrazyDave; 01-08-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

It wasn't pretty during the 1st period, but I was happy to see they came out and took charge in the 2nd. Hopefully Miss Grogan, after a very shaky start, got her confidence back and the team's momentum will carry over tomorrow.

Comment

A good night for the Gophs in the standings, w/ UMD idle, UW and OSU losing, and BSU dropping the shootout, they gained on all of their closest pursuers.

Comment

A good night for the Gophs in the standings, w/ UMD idle, UW and OSU losing, and BSU dropping the shootout, they gained on all of their closest pursuers.
                      I fully concur. With another win tonight, the Gophers will have a 7-point lead on UMD and at least that big a lead on Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        "Between the two teams, four players will be missing from this series as they compete for their national team. The Gophers will be without Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo, while OSU will be missing Natalie Spooner and Minttu Tuominen. They are all competing at the MLP Cup in Germany, but will return to their respective teams following this weekend."

Should be a pretty even trade as long as Grogan and/or Lura play well.
                        There's a local radio show that has the preposterous statement of the day, and I think this qualifies. If Grogan and Lura play well, it would mean that you didn't miss your world class goalie too much. On the other hand, when the other team is missing two of their top six forwards, it sends shock waves thru the entire lineup. Non-dressers become 4th liners, 4th liners become 3rd liners, and so on.

Again, using your words, "if Grogan and Lura play well", the Gophers would take the trade-off of Jalosuo for Spooner and Minttu every single time. I'm pretty sure the Gophers are deep enough to be without Jalosuo in the lineup for a weekend. If Grogan and Lura don't play well, maybe then it's a more even trade.

This isn't meant as an excuse for the loss, just a rebuttal to an illogical comment.
                        Last edited by high slot; 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
                          This isn't meant as an excuse for the loss, just a rebuttal to an illogical comment.
                          I don't think it was illogical, but in hindsight I'll admit that what I said was overstating the obvious. As I witnessed the first two soft goals, I was beginning to think that OSU got the better 'trade', but Grogan settled down and played well the rest of the way. It's hard to fault her for being rusty (nervous?) because she's had very little ice time since the beginning of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
                            There's a local radio show that has the preposterous statement of the day, and I think this qualifies.
                            You can disagree with the original statement, but that doesn't make it preposterous. We are talking hockey, and in hockey, goaltender is by far the most important position. So playing w/o the goaltender who has had the best numbers in the country to date is a concern. Even if the replacement plays "well", there can be different levels of effective play in net. Last night, it was obvious that the Gopher goalie and her D weren't in synch.

I do understand where you are coming from, in that Spooner is a special player and any team would struggle to deal with her loss, as well as that of Touminen. Wisconsin falling to UND w/o Deluce and Prévost is a good example, although the Badgers have been so up and down that it is hard to point to a single reason.

Comment

The Gophers get a solid 6-0 shutout victory over the Buckeyes in the second game of the weekend series, and now head to Bemidji. The Gophers have a 7-point lead on UMD in the WCHA standings and will have at least a 7-point lead on Wisconsin as well.

It appeared to be quite a physical game throughout, punctuated by the coincidental penalties on Kelly Seeler and OSU's Kelly Wild early in the second period and the double minor-misconduct combination by OSU's Kim Theut in the third period. I thought that the refs let a bunch of stuff slide early, setting up for the more aggressive play as the game wore on.

Still, the Gophers got to Buckeye goaltender Chelsey Knapp early with Emily West's goal just 1:08 into the game. But I really thought the back-breaker for OSU was Brittany Francis' goal with less than 9 seconds left in the first period to make it a 3-0 at that point.

That was a great solid effort by Alyssa Grogan in net, stopping 26 shots. That gives her 5 scoreless periods in net after shutting down the Buckeyes in the final 40 minutes on Friday. The Gophers are probably going to need that kind of effort up in Bemidji given the stinginess of Beaver 'tender Zuzana Tomcikova at the other end.

With the exception of the first period on Friday, I'd call it a good weekend.

Brooky -- missed you at the games. Hope you're doing okay.

Links of the night:
                              -- Box score
                              -- GopherSports.com game summary with postgame interview video

Comment

Thanks for the summary, Dave, I couldn't make it today as I took a guest to the mens' game at 7:00.

I am really happy for Grogan - getting the shutout over 5 periods of play has to be a real confidence builder, both for her and the whole team. They are now clearly in charge of their own destiny when it comes to winning the regular season title. But BSU - easily the most improved team in the league - also has to be feeling really good about what they've done, especially after their 3-0 win tonight.

It certainly won't be easy up there next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X