Wyoming checking in.
    (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

• Re: Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
      Wyoming checking in.
      No checking allowed in women's hockey.

Blankenship flutters one in from long distance, and then Erickson connects from close range for a 2-0 Gopher lead.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Gophers hang on and win 4-2.

Recap on GopherSports.com

Box score on CollegeHockeyStats.net

(Westy can't lose her temper and take another 10 minute misconduct. )
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
          (Westy can't lose her temper and take another 10 minute misconduct. )
          I was told that she got the time for flipping the puck over the glass after a stoppage. The Gophers seemed confused by the call, first sending out only four skaters for the upcoming faceoff, then icing the puck as though they still thought they were shorthanded.

For most of the game, I thought Minnesota looked pretty good. Didn't care for much of the effort after the lead increased to 3. Too many people were skating away from the puck instead of going to fight for it. The good that came out of the West misconduct was she was apparently well-rested for her deciding dash up the ice.

I was glad to see Jaimie Horton bumped up to a regular shift. IMO, she has earned it.

I wonder what the record is for most pipes hit before a player scorers her first goal? Evidently, it is at least 9.

Comment

Was Zebro's exclusion at the end of the first a blood violation? A small cut?
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              Was Zebro's exclusion at the end of the first a blood violation? A small cut?
              A possibility given she was high-sticked and showing some after effects. IIRC, she was hit up high in Mankato as well and skated off favoring her neck. Don't know if there was any carryover, and in each case she returned quickly.

Thoughts about Bemidji -- every series that I see them play, they seem faster than they did the series before. Coach Sertich appears to have them moving in the right direction, but they started out with a long way to go. I noticed players like Vichorek and Dorr more than once in that they were able to transition quickly. If I was going with a best player among their skaters, I'd probably still go with Cody. Their roster is a little odd in that they have a few Canadian players, but none of them play prominent roles on the first two lines or top two D pairs. Other than in goal, they feature players from in state.

Comment

Gophers win.

Badgers lose.

Bulldogs lose.

What's not to like about that?

Comment

Gophers win.

Badgers lose.

Bulldogs lose.

Great weekend for the Gophers. However you have to tip your hat to Bemidji who played well and very hard in both games. They certainly made the Gophers earn both wins - the Beavers are definitely headed in the right direction.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Gophers win.

Badgers lose.

Bulldogs lose.

It's all good from my perspective. I was quite impressed with the Beavers this weekend...thought they played well. Tomcikova was tough to score on. Her team helped her often blocking shots and clearing the puck away. Several Gopher close calls / good chances tonight when it appeared Zuzana had a horseshoe in her back pocket. Pucks behind her but not clearing the goal line...some she corralled as they crept towards the goal line.

Congrats to Megan Bozek for avoiding yet another of the many metallurgy saves she's been robbed by to date, and getting her first goal as a Gopher. Hope she got the puck.

It's a 4 pt. weekend.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      Congrats to Megan Bozek for avoiding yet another of the many metallurgy saves she's been robbed by to date, and getting her first goal as a Gopher. Hope she got the puck.
                      I saw Westie retrieve the puck from the zebra and toss it into the Gopher bench.

I agree that Bemidji played well. Today in particular was a good, high quality, up tempo, entertaining game.

This Räty kid is pretty good, isn't she?

Comment

I already take her for granted. One goal in 21 shots -- ho hum. I won't mind 4 years of this at all.

Comment

Gophers win.

Badgers lose.

Bulldogs lose.

As Mister Rogers would say, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."

It's a 4 pt. weekend.
                          This just in from a campfire somewhere in the wilds of suburban Chicago.
                          "Ten posts before her first goal. Then off the post, off the goalie's back and in for number one."
                          Last edited by Hux; 11-21-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I already take her for granted. One goal in 21 shots -- ho hum. I won't mind 4 years of this at all.
                            I find myself thinking is this what Wisconsin fans felt like during Vetter's four years?

Even on the Bemidji 2 on 0 I never felt any anxiety. I just felt this serene confidence that she could handle this and . . .

Then she did.

None shall pass.

Comment

Fri 02/05/2010 @ Minnesota-Duluth
                              Sat 02/06/2010 @ Minnesota-Duluth

Fri 02/19/2010 Wisconsin
                              Sat 02/20/2010 Wisconsin

I can't help it...I have my concerns for the month of Feb.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I can't help it...I have my concerns for the month of Feb.
                                The way this season has unfolded around the country, I have concerns for every game against every opponent. Räty is clearly a special player, and she elevates us to another level. But we are more than a one-player team. I'm confident that Grogan and Lura will step up and give us high-quality goaltending when their numbers are called, and that their teammates will be playing better defensively in front of them by then. That is something that I think must happen for the team to win any of the three titles that they pursue.

I still have some concerns offensively, but I've been pleasantly surprised in that regard by the season to date. Jones started like a house a fire, has receded of late, and I think the 2nd line goes as she goes. This weekend it was less important because the 3rd line took up the slack. Partly, that is because Blankenship is playing great right now, but also, the line functioned well as a cohesive unit. First line, no worries. Except maybe whether or not West will survive the season, because she always seems to take a pounding, and we plain can't afford to lose her. I believe that Francis will get on a roll on the offensive end, as she always seems to do as the season develops. In some ways, that is less important with her than some other forwards, because she does so many other things well, like maintaining possession of the puck and staying out of the box (she's had 21 minors in 127 games, one this season).

Then there is the power play. I'm not crazy about it right now. The white unit looks to be ahead of the gold one, if I have the colors right, and that shouldn't be happening when one has been going out there all year and the other debuted this weekend. That isn't really fair to the gold unit, because they've made wholesale changes to it, and it's heading in the wrong direction. I'd blow it up and start over, but if they are committed to it being the second option, then I'd swap Seeler and Schleper. The gold unit clearly needs more juice, Schleper is our best offensive threat from the blue line, and I don't think that she is being fully utilized on the maroon unit. IMO, Jones is the person best suited to the in front of the net role. When I think of players who have done well there in the past, they've had great hands, to deflect shots (at the net, not into the corner) and cash in rebounds. Plus, they have to be able to go behind the net, win possession, and get it back into the system. I know that they have Jones QB'ing that squad right now, but I'd try Blankenship in that spot. She did well on the PP her first two months here, then they took her off that unit and she's never really got back on until this weekend. If not, stick with Jones running the PP and go with Rasmussen in front. I'd try a 4-forwards plus Schleper unit, with Jones, Blankenship, Rasmussen, and May. Yes, one would like Kortum on there at some point, but she seems to be hitting the wall a bit, as players out of HS often do, and so it might be best to simplify. I'd like to steal Francis from the maroon unit to run this one, but that creates problems where somebody is always tired when switching from 5-on-5 to PP and back. And although I'm tempted to see what Jalosuo can do with her slap shot if properly set up, this might not be the year with her upcoming Olympic absence.

In the miscellaneous category, I'd have Frischmann working at D, not F, because that is clearly her future, both in February and next season. I'd look for opportunities to get her a shift or two on the blue line in games, so that if you plug her back into the rotation when Mira leaves, it doesn't look like she's been in mothballs for 3 months.

What I like best about this team is that it appears to have the makings of a team -- with everyone pulling in the same direction. That does require that everyone pulls. People say this team doesn't have a superstar, but they definitely have a few that qualify in an Olympic year, and probably a couple that are legit superstars in any year. The leaders seem more evident than they did last year, and hopefully, that translates into everyone being of a common goal.

Comment

Working...
                                X