New Nebraska-Omaha Message Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nebraska-Omaha Message Board

Hey everyone, just wanted to swing over and let you know that there's a new message board for Nebraska-Omaha hockey at MavMania.com.

As we make the transition into the WCHA, we'd love to have your $.02.

Also, there will be a MAJOR announcement today on the site about the program.

Thanks
    Adam

Re: New Nebraska-Omaha Message Board

Originally posted by mojo325is View Post
    Hey everyone, just wanted to swing over and let you know that there's a new message board for Nebraska-Omaha hockey at MavMania.com.

As we make the transition into the WCHA, we'd love to have your $.02.

Also, there will be a MAJOR announcement today on the site about the program.

Thanks
    Adam
    I checked out the site. Nothing different than Mavpuck, IMO. Read the rules, too, made me chuckle about how this will be all positive about the program etc. Already saw a thread that violated the "no disparaging opponents" statement, from a poster I recognized on Mavpuck. I guess you guys can disappear from here (for whatever reason) and then you can't get along in your own website, so you have to put up some unrealistic admin rules to tame the naysayers in a new one. Same old stuff, so to speak, especially when it comes to postings.

Good luck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      I checked out the site. Nothing different than Mavpuck, IMO. Read the rules, too, made me chuckle about how this will be all positive about the program etc. Already saw a thread that violated the "no disparaging opponents" statement, from a poster I recognized on Mavpuck. I guess you guys can disappear from here (for whatever reason) and then you can't get along in your own website, so you have to put up some unrealistic admin rules to tame the naysayers in a new one. Same old stuff, so to speak, especially when it comes to postings.

Good luck anyway.
      You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'd encourage folks to check out the new site and feel free to contribute to the discussion. I think they'll be surprised to find that they're completely different sites.

Comment

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'd encourage folks to check out the new site and feel free to contribute to the discussion. I think they'll be surprised to find that they're completely different sites.
        And I would encourage UNO fans to contribute here, if you expect any non-UNO traffic from here to flow to your site.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          And I would encourage UNO fans to contribute here, if you expect any non-UNO traffic from here to flow to your site.
          I'm obviously new to this site and plan on joining in the discussions as the season progresses.

Comment

I'm obviously new to this site and plan on joining in the discussions as the season progresses.
            Don't mind streaker, he's just been a little bitter since you guys were stolen from the CCHA, and everybody wants to blame the CCHA for UAH...which he doesn't agree with. Not saying he's right or wrong, just what I've noticed in his posts.
            Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

No disparaging opponents? What the heck is the fun in that?
              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                No disparaging opponents? What the heck is the fun in that?
                UNO just joined the wrong conference if they don't want opponents disparaging them or each other.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  UNO just joined the wrong conference if they don't want opponents disparaging them or each other.
                  It's gonna be a looooong 2010-2011 season. They won't know what hit them.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Especially with that gap toothed, four-eyed dingbat they call a coach.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post
                      Don't mind streaker, he's just been a little bitter since you guys were stolen from the CCHA, and everybody wants to blame the CCHA for UAH...which he doesn't agree with. Not saying he's right or wrong, just what I've noticed in his posts.

I am only suggesting that their fanbase would be better served to engage this website more if the administrator wants traffic to flow back to the new site. This is especially true as they move into the WCHA, since their fan tendencies (based on my experience at mavpuck) are to mostly engage amongst their own and not with competing fans (which is why very few UNO Mav fans post on USCHO.) My interest in discussion with their fanbase stems from relationships I formed with Mav booster members (one which still frequents USCHO) at the CCHA Championships AND for their competitive distaste for all things U-Michigan and MSU. (Soon to be Minnesota, UND etc.)

I don't have a great deal of interest in their program once they leave the league, but certainly will still respect the booster members I got to know and personally hope that their program will reach the level they envision.

My comments were not motivated by the nonsense on the UAH thread. For the record, I also supported the logic behind UNO's decision to leave and wish them well in the WCHA.

Comment

I will certainly check it out. I was booted from mavpuke with no explaination but it must have been for a negative comment that made the moderators uncomfortable which is the very thing they claim does not happen over there. Even on the post over there about mavmania everyone claims that dissension is welcome so I don't understand why they booted me. The made themselves to look like cowards and they still do because they have registration turned off yet new members show up on mavpuk on a daily basis which shows they are letting new people on but they are picking and choosing to eliminate dissension. That's a huge embarrassment to UNO.
                        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                          I will certainly check it out. I was booted from mavpuke with no explaination but it must have been for a negative comment that made the moderators uncomfortable which is the very thing they claim does not happen over there. Even on the post over there about mavmania everyone claims that dissension is welcome so I don't understand why they booted me. The made themselves to look like cowards and they still do because they have registration turned off yet new members show up on mavpuk on a daily basis which shows they are letting new people on but they are picking and choosing to eliminate dissension. That's a huge embarrassment to UNO.
                          Jeff,

I have no doubt that they weed out certain posters, even their own fans. I was able to become a member a long time ago, before they were filtering your personal information. If they didn't like what they saw (such as living in a certain state) then it was their right to not let you join, assuming you were going to be a lurker and a flamer. I know certain opponent fans that are not welcome back after posting incidents.

I have had some spirited debates with people over there and I have to admit, some of their own disparage the Mav program pretty well and they are still there. Whatever you did or posted must have really cheesed off the administrators. Then again, there is a sizable latitude given to posters... and UNO fans are not shy about using their cute little monikers for opposing programs.

I think that is what is driving MavMania's posting rules. Still, I am not going to be limited to cheerleading for an opponent school. If posters want to rip on the officials, or question a coaching strategy or even poke fun at their own, they should be able to. I am sure they will not enforce the rules when it comes to poking at opponent programs. But if you are trying to engage in a non confrontational manner, and are not a Mavfan, then I still think you'll be ignored. That's fine, it's their campfire. They have obvious biases based on bad experiences with certain opponent fanbases and run with it.

It is completely OPPOSITE of the treatment you receive, though, if you attend their games or happen to discuss their program with them if they visit your building/neutral site.

There is nothing wrong with a program (especially with the fanbase they have) having multiple fan sites... but they certainly do not support this one- or enjoy engaging with fans from other programs. So, to pander here in order to draw attention to their new site is pretty odd, IMO.

Comment

The new message board is primarily supported by the Blue Line Club, boosters of the program and is closely connected to the athletic department. I believe that's why some of the "restrictions" on the comments.

Mavpuck.com is a privately supported website and is NOT supported by or affiliated with the Blue Line Club, athletic department or University. The admin started the site years ago because they a) are strong believers in the program and b) knew that developing an on-line location for fans to talk about the program was a great way to develop a sense of community.

In general, I think the administrators do a decent job of allowing conversations to evolve, even a number that are critical of the program, coaches, and at times, players. They do have limits however, and I'd guess that anyone banned for life crossed the line in some significant way.

I do wish more UNO fans jumped into conversations over here. This is a great forum, has helped me to connect with fans from other teams, and to hear about trends across the college hockey community.

And, if someone can't deal with a few negative comments on a message board, they ought to get a life.

Go Mav's. 72 hours till the puck drops for our exhibition game!

Comment

Welcome to the WCHA! Anxious to play you next season, should be interesting!
                              Proud to be Fighting Sioux !

Comment

Working...
                              X