Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Nice to get the win tonight, and especially get that Friday night monkey off our back.

That said, what's up with this habit of jumping out to a good lead, and then letting it slip away? At least they kept UNO from tying up, but it got WAY too close for comfort tonight. Are the Nooks backing down, are the opponents just stepping up, or is it a combination?

It almost seems to me like they're trying to play similar to last year, get a lead, and then clamp down defensively. Only thing is, they're scoring much better this year, but aren't at the nationally-leading defensive level of last year, so the get-a-lead-and-keep-it thing isn't working as well, and instead they end up back on their heels. I honestly think if this team could keep a full-throttle intensity for a whole game without backing down, they could be on the good side of some serious blowouts. Instead of letting a 4-1 lead get to a 4-3 squeaker, add the ! to the W and go 7-1 instead

I know, easier said from the stands than done out on the ice. Just sayin'.

Comment

A win is win. Deserved or not. But I hope the players and coaches don’t feel good about last night’s effort. The Nooks looked good early on, notwithstanding UNO’s trouble staying out of the box. That just compounded UNOs troubles.

But we sure went flat after building a 3-1 lead. SOG’s don’t necessarily tell a story, but the Nooks 21-8-4 effort last night unfortunately did. Good thing there wasn’t an OT, we would have had to start giving SOG’s back to the scorekeeper.

Credit to UNO for picking it up, but the Nooks can’t be happy with their team effort in the 2nd and 3rd. Our defensive play was all about the poke check, and overall d looked fairly soft. Nobody seemed to man-up. I think that has been a recurring theme with this team, and is why everybody, including BG, LSSU, and WMU has put up points on us. As teams pick up intensity they blow past a poke check and get odd man rushes or breakaway opportunities. Take the man.

I guess it’s good that we are the least penalized team in the CCHA. But I wish we were closer to the middle of the pack. Penalties from agrresive hard work are not all bad. It's part of the game. Be more aggressive on the forecheck, backcheck, and overall defensive play.

I hope to post a few photos of last night’s game later on.

Go Nooks!

Comment

A few photos from last night.

We started off strong, all over the MAVS.
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-84/739073688_6CVXo-L.jpg******

Everyone seemed ready to go...
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-22/739072901_PWL9u-L.jpg******

Especially Finucci...
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-31/739073110_26GRn-L.jpg******

Taranto...
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-37/739073313_kwZrS-L.jpg******

Yaremchuk...
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-39/739073483_p7L3k-L.jpg******

And of course D. Knelsen, although I’m sure he wished he had given this shot a little more lift.
        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dec-11-2009/20091211-133/739073907_PL4sP-L.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
          Nice to get the win tonight, and especially get that Friday night monkey off our back.

But what happened to Coach Blais when UNO scored their first goal, Friday night?????

Comment

Well, that was a lousy way to go into a four week break. I didn't listen or see the game, but anytime you're down 5-1 at home it's just not your night for whatever reason.

I'm pleased to see us holding on to a top-4 spot going into the break, but it's also bittersweet because I think we left a lot of points on the table in the first half. Looking at our schedule in the second half, if we don't keep it together we'll find ourselves looking at 6th to 8th place very quickly. We start off in January on the road at UNO and Michigan, come home to Miami, then back on the road to Marquette (a notorious black hole for Nanook hockey). It won't be easy. February is a little bit easier; home vs Michigan State, road at Ohio State, home vs LSSU, then the Governor's Cup.

I'd grade us about a B- so far. A few flashes of brilliance and potential, combined with a tendency to build big leads and allow teams to creep back in. Losing to two last place teams (BG and WMU) also doesn't help matters. Our offense is leaps and bounds over last year, but the team defense seems to be down. If we are to hold on to a top 4 spot, the defense has to improve. Allowing 5 goals at home definitely isn't acceptable.

All in all I think we've shown flashes of what we could be, but there's still some steps to take in the meantime. Should be an interesting January and February. Go Nooks!
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
              But what happened to Coach Blais when UNO scored their first goal, Friday night?????
              I have no idea..?

Comment

What happened to Blais after UNO's first goal, Friday??

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                I have no idea..?
                A UAF fan poured a drink on him.

OUCH !!!
                Last edited by hanasoni; 12-13-2009, 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
                  What happened to Blais after UNO's first goal, Friday??

A UAF fan poured a drink on him.

OUCH !!!
                  Weak, if true. Hopefully s/he was dealt with appropriately.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Indeed. That kind of behavior isn't acceptable, regardless of who does it or what the circumstances were. Unfortunate if it happened, though I'm still a bit confused how that has anything to do with my quoted statement.

Comment

Once again the Nooks started off with a strong first period but weren’t able to maintain the momentum. The score was knotted at one each going into the third, but the MAVS scored three unanswered goals in the fourth. The Nooks scored two late goals to make the 5 – 3 loss look respectable, but the MAVS basically outworked the Nooks in the second and third periods two nights in a row.

Seems like we didn’t adjust to what they were doing, or recognize that they had adjusted to our game strategy. Seems our effort fell off in the second and third periods both nights.

Anyway, time to rest, heal, and get ready for the second half. A few photos from Saturday night. More shots from both nights in my “Featured Galleries” link.

Nook pressure early on...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-38/739953425_o9AMS-L.jpg******

MAV pressure likewise in return...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-140/739954312_Wy49n-L.jpg******

This deflection attempt almost handcuffed Faulkner...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-93/739953879_8EZzs-L.jpg******

Trying to hold down the Fort...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-71/739953690_2vnxK-L.jpg******

...and make a comeback. But late heroics fell short.
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-115/739954100_B6W5k-L.jpg******

Comment

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

Comment

Let me guess……a free refill from the concession stand.

ok square start the Alaska Airlines Governs Cup thread by the first week of the new year or I’ll start one for you….
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            Let me guess……a free refill from the concession stand.

ok square start the Alaska Airlines Governs Cup thread by the first week of the new year or I’ll start one for you….
                            Nah no point in starting up the GC trash talk thread until everybody comes back from the holiday hiatus. Your next game is the 8th, right?

Comment

Nah no point in starting up the GC trash talk thread until everybody comes back from the holiday hiatus. Your next game is the 8th, right?
                              High-quality speculation and why linger? …. Is every single one the local UA_ fans holding up in their one room cabin’s stuffin logs in a barrel stove and waiting for the library to open so they can post? Or will it take you that long to get w/ bird and mmf to rally slackerrat, ½ nook, Ice Angle and all the additional short bus occupants to put together a showing? …..good luck on that scheme.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                High-quality speculation and why linger? …. Is every single one the local UA_ fans holding up in their one room cabin’s stuffin logs in a barrel stove and waiting for the library to open so they can post? Or will it take you that long to get w/ bird and mmf to rally slackerrat, ½ nook, Ice Angle and all the additional short bus occupants to put together a showing? …..good luck on that scheme.
                                Happy New Year Alaska Hockey!
                                It's always fun when they let you out on a weekend pass, you’re such a hoot.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X