X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Though, don't hold it against me if I say I would prefer playing an NHL team before playing any school that has the word "Boston" on the front of their sweater.
    AMEN!!! I would rather play the 1980 soviet team than any team from Boston again...
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
      AMEN!!! I would rather play the 1980 soviet team than any team from Boston again...
      I don't think you'd have much problem with either 'Boston' school this year. BU is likely to not even make the NCAAs, although they were 'likely not' going to win that Championship game last year, either. If BU was a cat rather than a Terrier, they'd have used all nine lives in the last three minutes of that game. The Genie is likely to say, "I've helped you enough...go do something on your own for once."

As for BC, what an enigma. The Eagles weren't supposed to be this good in the 2009-2010 campaign. Which means one of two things: The experts were wrong, or that the supposed real BC has yet to emerge. I think our goaltending has been better than expected, which, to a degree, is what earned us the 2008 Championship. If that's how Championship teams are built, we'll go with that. But I've seen the flip side of this where BC muddles through the first half of the season only to steamroll through the second half. There's nothing stopping that from happening in reverse. We kick off the 2nd half in Denver, at the Denver Cup. BC-Denver ought to draw a lot of eyeballs and will be a litmus test for both teams. No one really doubts Denver, but I think the jury is still out on BC. A win or even a close loss to Denver will put some legitimacy into this campaign.

In any event, my point about Miami is that it is a small school playing like a big one. Which, in reality, is what BC is...a small school playing like a big one. If there is an NCAA team out there that has paid its dues and deserves a championship in hockey, my vote goes to Miami. I'd rather see that than a 'lucky' team steal one, which is what I firmly believe Michigan State did in 2007 when they beat us. Don't get me wrong: Michigan State played BC the same way the New York Giants played the Patriots that same year: They played the precise style of game needed to beat a superior opponent. You can only tip your cap to an effort like that, as much as the results in both cases weren't to our liking.
      Last edited by Chris_NH; 12-24-2009, 11:25 PM.
      Chris V
      Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

That is a sunday game, I wouldn't think you would have problems getting tickets. I would actually recommend getting standing room only tickets and moving during the first period because there will be a lack of season ticket holders at that game.
        Sigh...unfortunately, I have to agree. Get SRO and you'll find a seat that day for sure. Day of the week and opponent will mean the season ticket holders won't be out in full force.
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
          I don't think you'd have much problem with either 'Boston' school this year. BU is likely to not even make the NCAAs, although they were 'likely not' going to win that Championship game last year, either. If BU was a cat rather than a Terrier, they'd have used all nine lives in the last three minutes of that game. The Genie is likely to say, "I've helped you enough...go do something on your own for once."

As for BC, what an enigma. The Eagles weren't supposed to be this good in the 2009-2010 campaign. Which means one of two things: The experts were wrong, or that the supposed real BC has yet to emerge. I think our goaltending has been better than expected, which, to a degree, is what earned us the 2008 Championship. If that's how Championship teams are built, we'll go with that. But I've seen the flip side of this where BC muddles through the first half of the season only to steamroll through the second half. There's nothing stopping that from happening in reverse. We kick off the 2nd half in Denver, at the Denver Cup. BC-Denver ought to draw a lot of eyeballs and will be a litmus test for both teams. No one really doubts Denver, but I think the jury is still out on BC. A win or even a close loss to Denver will put some legitimacy into this campaign.

In any event, my point about Miami is that it is a small school playing like a big one. Which, in reality, is what BC is...a small school playing like a big one. If there is an NCAA team out there that has paid its dues and deserves a championship in hockey, my vote goes to Miami. I'd rather see that than a 'lucky' team steal one, which is what I firmly believe Michigan State did in 2007 when they beat us. Don't get me wrong: Michigan State played BC the same way the New York Giants played the Patriots that same year: They played the precise style of game needed to beat a superior opponent. You can only tip your cap to an effort like that, as much as the results in both cases weren't to our liking.
          Good points. I hope I can find the Denver Cup games on the tee vee somewhere. DU/BC will be very telling. Denver looks stout when Cheverie is on. Ordinary when he's not, or out of the lineup.

I would also like to think that we've "paid our dues," but we also know how difficult it is to even get to a Frozen Four, much less come within 60 seconds of a national title. It would be great if Miami can hang onto a #1 seed, but as we've seen recently, the difference between #1 and #4 seeds is no where near as large as it used to be. The #4 seeds have proven they can advance, but to capture that #1 seed and go to Fort Wayne this year would be huge for our fan base!

Lot of hockey to go and the second half should be exciting!

Comment

Sigh...unfortunately, I have to agree. Get SRO and you'll find a seat that day for sure. Day of the week and opponent will mean the season ticket holders won't be out in full force.
            Hell a saturday night against Michigan state didn't bring them out....Its a definant head scratcher why season ticket holders don't show up on a regular basis but thats why they sell standing room only tickets and let you fill those seats.

Hope everyone in 'hawk nation had a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the new year. Hopefully the boys will not let up because their is a number change in the year.
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

After watching the US junior team last night, I'm getting even more stir crazy for college hockey. I can't believe we still have another weekend without Miami hockey!

The Kristo-D'Amigo line was very good last night for Team USA in the 7-3 win over Slovakia. I didn't think Mike Lee was particularly sharp but perhaps he'll be better today against Switzerland. I liked the physical nature of the team and the overall team speed. I thought Cam Fowler looked impressive on the blueline. He's one of those kids you don't get to see much considering he went major-junior rather than NCAA.

Comment

After watching the US junior team last night, I'm getting even more stir crazy for college hockey. I can't believe we still have another weekend without Miami hockey!

The Kristo-D'Amigo line was very good last night for Team USA in the 7-3 win over Slovakia. I didn't think Mike Lee was particularly sharp but perhaps he'll be better today against Switzerland. I liked the physical nature of the team and the overall team speed. I thought Cam Fowler looked impressive on the blueline. He's one of those kids you don't get to see much considering he went major-junior rather than NCAA.
                Well if im not mistake Cam Fowler started the year at BC and left. But they did look good, lee didn't play well but chalk it up to nervs IMO. Someone who impressed me was palmeri kid from ND. He definantly didn't play that well when ND was in oxford.

Funny story from the broadcast last night. Ryan Bourque plays the US team ( and played quite well if you ask me ), anyways they told a story about how when he was playing at the 4 nations cup gold medal game against Team Canada while on the U-18 team his dad, Ray Bourque who is a legend in Canadian hockey, gave a pep talk to team canada before that game against his kids team...lol shows blood only goes so far in hockey
                Last edited by redhawkman10; 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Well if im not mistake Cam Fowler started the year at BC and left. But they did look good, lee didn't play well but chalk it up to nervs IMO. Someone who impressed me was palmissano kid from ND. He definantly didn't play that well when ND was in oxford.

Funny story from the broadcast last night. Ryan Bourque plays the US team ( and played quite well if you ask me ), anyways they told a story about how when he was playing at the 4 nations cup gold medal game against Team Canada while on the U-18 team his dad, Ray Bourque who is a legend in Canadian hockey, gave a pep talk to team canada before that game against his kids team...lol shows blood only goes so far in hockey
                  rhm, you must be thinking of Kenny Ryan who started the season with BC and left. Fowler was a commit to Notre Dame but chose the OHL instead and never went to ND.

Also, it's not palmissano, it's Palmieri (it's my job to get rhm's posts straightened out ). Palmieri is the guy who ran Reichard a couple of times in the first ND game, took a penalty for goaltender interference with two minutes to go with his team down 1-0, and did not play in the second game against Miami. His other penalty that night was charging the goalie. I agree Palmieri has looked good at the WJC, at least on tv.

By the way, saw both Fowler and Ryan play at the Goggin a few years ago in the Midget tourney. Fowler was amazing, IMO. Ryan is a good player too, but evidently was not interested in going to class at BC and lasted about three weeks. I believe Kreider (who is fast) is the BC guy on the WJC team.

Related to Fowler and ND, can you imagine if Fowler had gone to ND and next year they could have had Fowler, Cole, Ruth, Calabrese, Johns, and Tinordi on the same team?! That is scary. Those last five are scary enough, and I am sure I am leaving someone out who I can't think of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                    rhm, you must be thinking of Kenny Ryan who started the season with BC and left. Fowler was a commit to Notre Dame but chose the OHL instead and never went to ND.

Also, it's not palmissano, it's Palmieri (it's my job to get rhm's posts straightened out ). Palmieri is the guy who ran Reichard a couple of times in the first ND game, took a penalty for goaltender interference with two minutes to go with his team down 1-0, and did not play in the second game against Miami. His other penalty that night was charging the goalie. I agree Palmieri has looked good at the WJC, at least on tv.

By the way, saw both Fowler and Ryan play at the Goggin a few years ago in the Midget tourney. Fowler was amazing, IMO. Ryan is a good player too, but evidently was not interested in going to class at BC and lasted about three weeks. I believe Kreider (who is fast) is the BC guy on the WJC team.

Related to Fowler and ND, can you imagine if Fowler had gone to ND and next year they could have had Fowler, Cole, Ruth, Calabrese, Johns, and Tinordi on the same team?! That is scary. Those last five are scary enough, and I am sure I am leaving someone out who I can't think of right now.
                    Lol I came on to change the name as i found I was wrong, but thanks!

Thats where I know the name from, I knew Fowler sounded familiar and thought it was from that but it was from the midget tourny. He was playing with Honeybaked correct? There are more than a few guys that have played in oxford before going onto bigger and better things, which is why I love having those tournaments and games around here to see these guys early.

Side note, when you look towards the future Miami could have a couple guys playing in this tournament in the near future with Mullin, Gacek, and Biggs all having been on the USNTDP radar at some point. Also Knapp would still be elligible next year correct? I don't believe Wideman would be but Alex Wideman may be a canidate having played on a US national team previsouly.

Comment

So saw this and was amazed. Final score today in game 1 of the GLI Michigan st. 10 Michigan tech 1, but the amazing thing is there were 9different goal scorers for sparty !

Also in watching and seeing USA being coached by Dean Blais who is the head man at UNO, I wondered if Coach Blasi is on USA hockey's radar at all as being a potential coach. With what he has done with what some has descrived as inferior talent, I would imagine he would make a good coach for that position. I know Walt Kyle has been at the helm before also. Just food for thought.
                      Last edited by redhawkman10; 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

So saw this and was amazed. Final score today in game 1 of the GLI Michigan st. 10 Michigan tech 1, but the amazing thing is there were 10 different goal scorers for sparty !

Also in watching and seeing USA being coached by Dean Blais who is the head man at UNO, I wondered if Coach Blasi is on USA hockey's radar at all as being a potential coach. With what he has done with what some has descrived as inferior talent, I would imagine he would make a good coach for that position. I know Walt Kyle has been at the helm before also. Just food for thought.
                        Dont forget the other GLI score...

RPI 4 Michigan 3

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                          Dont forget the other GLI score...

RPI 4 Michigan 3
                          To be honest that isn't that surprising, RPI is solid and Michigan isn't very good. But without D'amingo I thought Mich would win, but isn't that surprising.

Comment

So saw this and was amazed. Final score today in game 1 of the GLI Michigan st. 10 Michigan tech 1, but the amazing thing is there were 9different goal scorers for sparty !

Don't know what the policy is rhm, but Kyle and Blais are both American. Also, not sure if a Canadian would ever coach the US junior team nowadays. I know no one cares about the WJC down here, but everyone does north of the border. Speaking of not caring, I am amazed that absolutely no national media in the US even mentions the WJC. It's not even on the crawl at the bottom of ESPN, and I guess a mention on Sportscenter won't happen unless the US gets to the medal games (and who know if it will happen even then). Also, I read the Boston Globe sports section every day and not a mention yet that I have seen even with BU and BC players on the team.

Comment

Hockey Canada has just announced that Miamian Dan Boyle will skate for Team Canada in the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games! Congratulations Dan!!!

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...et+team+canada

Comment

Just depends on if Team USA would consider a non-American for the post.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the other post about Kyle and Blais. Exactly what I was saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X