X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    Nice W for the Redhawks tonight. They seem to have things firing on all cylinders.
    Thats the funny thing, they really don't lol. They have yet to play for 60 min and didn't tonight. But with all of that aside they find a way to win and that is what good teams do.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Good road win for the Hawks tonight. Any points out of tomorrow night's game would be gravy. SOG stats looked lopsided, but it didn't really tell the story. What it means was that we were steadfastly back into our puck possession game. Don't just throw it away; don't just surrender possession of the puck. Pick your chances and don't give them an inch. For the most part, their speed was neutralized and the chances they did have weren't great. I also think the SOG guy was probably a homer. Didn't seem like UM got 28 shots, especially with the number that we blocked.

Palmer is off to a great start. If he keeps it up, he'll score 20 this year.

I will be there tomorrow night. I'll be the guy wearing red in the sea of yellow.

Go RedHawks!
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Obviously Hetland and B. Smith in means someone out...that someone was Gary Steffes. On defense, the odd man out again was Matt Tomassoni.

According to Alex at the Miami Hockey Blog, neither made the trip. I wonder if it was flu for both.

That said, Alex has a nice piece posted by Greg Waddell on the bus rides. Check it out.

http://muredhawkshockey.blogspot.com/

And, my brief game recap is posted at http://jacketsrequired.blogspot.com

Comment

Really not enough words to describe the effort put forth tonight by this team. I think we finally saw what this team is capable of when they put 60 min together. A see saw battle in the first period but Miami came out and set the tone in the second and never looked back. Great effort for both the touted freshman and congrats to Reily Smith on netting his first two collegiate goals.

Some big saves by Cody Reichard tonight, but it was a team effort tonight. Great to see Camper skate off and come back to play after that ugle hit he took in the third. I am really starting to like this McKenzie kid, he reminds me of a certain player who just departed last year hmmm .

8-1-1 in this first 10 game stretch that was the toughest in the country and they do what they did is remarkable in my mind. Lets just hope that their isn't a let down at some point, with Ferris coming in next weekend who has had our number lately.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

oh I am really looking forward to '95's recap of the weekend, although knowing him I am concerned for his saftey in ann arbor right now lol hope he makes it out!

Comment

Great job this weekend and what a 10 game stretch to start. I don't think anyone had eight wins or one loss when we discussed the first ten games on here five or six weeks ago. UNH and SCSU so far are not as good as expected, but MSU is better, so the 8-1-1 is a heckuva start. But, it's still early (that's for rhm).

What I like so far is the variety of ways to win Miami has demonstrated. Friday the fourth line gets a huge goal with an assist from a guy who had not played in two years. Saturday, freshmen get three in Yost. Reichard has played very well. MU has gutted it out in games (see NMU), come back in games, and cruised in a few games. Scoring has come from everywhere, seniors, freshmen, forwards, D, and all the lines. The D have seven goals (last year at this time I was whining that the D had no goals). The team D, for most of the time, is what we hope for/expect. PP has been ok (not great statistically). PK ok, but not like last year. I guess what is interesting is that this has happened without guys like Camper, Cannone, and Wingels carrying a disproportionate part of the load, although Miele, in the games I have seen, has been very good.

The question marks so far are can Camper and Cannone get going the way we know they can, and, of course, Knapp.

It's still early, but a good start, that's for sure. Some good tests coming up, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Comment

Great points Redeagle. The balanced scoring attack is tremendous. Cannone looked great last night so I'm not as worried about him as I am Camper but there is still room for improvement.

I just posted a recap for your consideration at my blog, but what I didn't say there, I'll say here. Michigan = Michigoon when they are trailing. They just can't stand it and Red allows them to skate around like idiots - he always has. It was more of the same last night. They had very little of anything for us all weekend, were fortunate not to be shut out and didn't even register a shot on goal until more than 10 minutes into the game. Yes, a deflection got them on the board, but that is the ONLY thing we allowed all night. This was the team I've been waiting to see this year. It very much reminded me of last year's tournament run. Absolute domination in every facet of the game. If this kind of effort is put worth every weekend, it should be a good season. As it is, we are off to a great start and have faced a difficult schedule. But, there is much more to come - we need to avoid getting ahead of ourselves and watch for the Rico swoon. Not only that, but Ferris is waiting for us next weekend, and say what you will about them, they are exceedingly tough on us so there are no points to be taken for granted.

Sat just two rows off the ice behind the goal (our attack zone for two periods) and had a great view of the action. Sitting lower to the ice made Yost much more bearable - up in the rafters last year made for a dark, smelly, dirty experience with a crappy view. And, it was hot, very hot, in the building. I swear I think it could be a firetrap. Plus, the outcome certainly helped things too. It was pretty miserable up there last season.

If Michigan expects to compete, they need much better goaltending from Bryan Hogan. He was not good all weekend. On the other hand Cody just seems to get better and better. When he was tested last night, he was outstanding, but I want to give credit to the D-corps. What a great game; what a great weekend. Schilling and Weber really stood out to me but I also saw Spinnell make a couple of big plays right in front of Cody, sweeping away a rebound or stopping a pass or two. I thought he was solid. Hartman wasn't as noticeable as the other guys, but he is rarely out of position and the only reason maybe I didn't notice him as much is that he's a stay at home guy. Schilling and Weber really carry the puck well and make nice passes out of the zone. Both of them have nice speed, compete for pucks and continue to improve.

No Steffes or Tomassoni this weekend. In talking with some folks before the game, it didn't sound as if their absences were due to illness...I'll leave it at that.

Check out the PC recap at http://jacketsrequired.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy it. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                  I just posted a recap for your consideration at my blog, but what I didn't say there, I'll say here. Michigan = Michigoon when they are trailing. They just can't stand it and Red allows them to skate around like idiots - he always has. It was more of the same last night.
                  I've given my thoughts in the game thread, so I won't rehash here. An acknowledgment and correction for you: Michigan absolutely lost their composure in the third period, and took some stupid penalties. Credit to Miami for completely getting them off whatever game they did have. However, to say that Red allowed them to skate around like idiots, and always has, is sour apples in my opinion. No, he didn't sit anyone out after the tempers flared, but you can't really play with half a team. Red was absolutely ****ed at his team after the game, and was 'embarrassed' by what he saw. Everyone I've talked to absolutely concurs with his sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                    Great points Redeagle. The balanced scoring attack is tremendous. Cannone looked great last night so I'm not as worried about him as I am Camper but there is still room for improvement.

I just posted a recap for your consideration at my blog, but what I didn't say there, I'll say here. Michigan = Michigoon when they are trailing. They just can't stand it and Red allows them to skate around like idiots - he always has. It was more of the same last night. They had very little of anything for us all weekend, were fortunate not to be shut out and didn't even register a shot on goal until more than 10 minutes into the game. Yes, a deflection got them on the board, but that is the ONLY thing we allowed all night. This was the team I've been waiting to see this year. It very much reminded me of last year's tournament run. Absolute domination in every facet of the game. If this kind of effort is put worth every weekend, it should be a good season. As it is, we are off to a great start and have faced a difficult schedule. But, there is much more to come - we need to avoid getting ahead of ourselves and watch for the Rico swoon. Not only that, but Ferris is waiting for us next weekend, and say what you will about them, they are exceedingly tough on us so there are no points to be taken for granted.

Sat just two rows off the ice behind the goal (our attack zone for two periods) and had a great view of the action. Sitting lower to the ice made Yost much more bearable - up in the rafters last year made for a dark, smelly, dirty experience with a crappy view. And, it was hot, very hot, in the building. I swear I think it could be a firetrap. Plus, the outcome certainly helped things too. It was pretty miserable up there last season.

If Michigan expects to compete, they need much better goaltending from Bryan Hogan. He was not good all weekend. On the other hand Cody just seems to get better and better. When he was tested last night, he was outstanding, but I want to give credit to the D-corps. What a great game; what a great weekend. Schilling and Weber really stood out to me but I also saw Spinnell make a couple of big plays right in front of Cody, sweeping away a rebound or stopping a pass or two. I thought he was solid. Hartman wasn't as noticeable as the other guys, but he is rarely out of position and the only reason maybe I didn't notice him as much is that he's a stay at home guy. Schilling and Weber really carry the puck well and make nice passes out of the zone. Both of them have nice speed, compete for pucks and continue to improve.

No Steffes or Tomassoni this weekend. In talking with some folks before the game, it didn't sound as if their absences were due to illness...I'll leave it at that.

Check out the PC recap at http://jacketsrequired.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy it. Go RedHawks!
                    glad to see you had fun and made it out ok!

Im with you on canonne he had a nice night last night and hopefully it is a sign of him putting things together.

I also don't think this is the last we have heard of Connor Knapp. I think he does get another shot down the road but for now I think its logical to stick with Cody.

Also you make good points about not going into a swoon, especially with Ferris. Ferris is solid this year, and no matter how good or bad they are they ALWAYS play Miami tough. Case in point the last two seasons. But I think this team has a completely different attitude this season and looks focused. I hope that is accurate and we continue to see it on the ice.

Side note, Yale get that 1st place vote again this week??? lol

Comment

KC - perhaps I was too harsh on Red, because he's clearly taken some responsibility, but he needs to act behind the bench when he sees what is happening and sit guys, call timeout, whatever.

http://bit.ly/3LhXs6

That said, I don't think it's sour apples at all when you consider what I saw.

- 51 PIM in the 3rd period
                      - Camper hit from behind and injured
                      - Hirschfeld hit from behind, not called
                      - Your captain, Chris Summers (6'3", 202) "man's up" on Dane Hetland (5'10, 190) in the corner with stick work. When that didn't work, he took a run at him after losing/breaking his stick on him in the corner. Hetland never plays...he's like the kid you think you can beat up on the playground or something
                      - Hogan "waffle boards" Miele in the head then turns tail and runs away
                      - Chris Brown with deliberate head shot to Cam Schilling

So, call it what you will, but I thought it deserved a mention. It was pretty much a joke after awhile.

Comment

Video highlights from Friday and Saturday via Comcast (audio posted poorly for some reason) are up at Miami All-Access.

Friday - http://bit.ly/1JpRGQ

Saturday - http://bit.ly/1IMs0F

Palmer's wrister on Friday, Miele's backhander on Saturday and Reilly Smith's backhander Saturday are very nice goals.

Comment

After a relatively decent weekend of hockey , we secure 49 first place votes and NoDak steals the 50th.
                          Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Palmer and Reich get CCHA honors this week

http://www.ccha.com/ccha_players_of_...or_nov._9.aspx

Offensive
                            Jarod Palmer, Miami
                            Sr., F (Fridley, MN)
                            Palmer had two goals and an assist, including a game-winning goal on Friday and an assist on the game-winner on Saturday, in Miami's road sweep of No. 4 Michigan.

Goaltender
                            Cody Reichard, Miami
                            So., (Celina, OH)
                            Reichard made 47 saves on 49 shots, allowing only one goal in each game of Miami's victories over No. 4 Michigan at Yost Ice Arena. Reichard also stopped his second penalty shot in three weeks.

Comment

Was out of town this weekend, so didn't get to watch or listen (thanks NHL Network for randomly dropping the game after I set the DVR). Glad to hear that we finally put a 60 minute effort in on Saturday, and embarassed them on their own rink. Of course the same team that allowed the goonery from Jack Johnson would resort to trying to injure more players just because they were losing. Watched the highlights, that place was fairly loud when we scored, sounds like there was a decent amount of Miami support at the Yost.

8-1-1 in the first 10? Nobody thought we'd be there. Keep it up boys, I'd assume we see Knapp in this weekend as long as we stop hanging him out to dry. Gotta keep him fresh and Ferris at home is a good opportunity to do so. They've had our number the past 2 seasons but I don't see any of that happening this year. The 7-3-0 record the Bulldogs boast is very inflated (Canisius, UConn, BG, UAF, Robert Morris). Those teams have a record of 14-26-2, and thats only that good because of a certain school that has yet to play outside of Alaska this season.

Comment

My 2 favorite teams.....Miami and whoever beats Michigan...wait!!!!! They are one and the same this week!

Go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X