X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Originally posted by muredhawks2008 View Post
    “We had a pretty good first and a good third, but the second period is what got us,” Butler said. “If we play our game and don’t make mistakes like we did tonight, we can play with this team.”

Well if frogs had wings and hip pockets....
    And if my Aunt had a pair of nads she would be my uncle....

They said all the right things, but if the honestly think that was Miami's best and they can skat 60 min with them they aren't very bright.

IMO with the talent we have that was a bad game. They turned it up for one period and powered 4 goals in effortlessly. I will say the Palmer goal was one of the nicest all around plays I have seen in a while.

But this team needs to work on their passing and playing more consistant. They were really aggressive but with the added space it got them in trouble at times but they really controlled the puck and skated circles literally at times around UNH. But they need to keep things simple, again getting too flashy at times for my taste.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I'm still doing pretty good with my first 10 games prediction (home sweeps, road splits), so I'll take 3-0-1 over my projected 3-1.

We really fell apart in that second period, played a lot of undisciplined puck, and it nearly cost us the game. Have to wonder why Rico never calls timeouts when they are logical (say when UNH went up 4-3, had all the momentum in the world, and came out and scored again 30 seconds later), but thankfully there were some penalty conferences that got us a break in the action to settle down and bang out a couple more late in the period. We're lucky to get that point tonight, but man, when this team buries its head and focuses they are scary good on both offence and defence.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        I'm still doing pretty good with my first 10 games prediction (home sweeps, road splits), so I'll take 3-0-1 over my projected 3-1.

We really fell apart in that second period, played a lot of undisciplined puck, and it nearly cost us the game. Have to wonder why Rico never calls timeouts when they are logical (say when UNH went up 4-3, had all the momentum in the world, and came out and scored again 30 seconds later), but thankfully there were some penalty conferences that got us a break in the action to settle down and bang out a couple more late in the period. We're lucky to get that point tonight, but man, when this team buries its head and focuses they are scary good on both offence and defence.
        Didn't get to watch or hear the game, but looking through the box score I am really impressed to see the impact that some of these freshman are putting forth right off the bat.

It is early and I want to see a little more from knapp, but early indications are he can't stand on his head to win a game when needed. I hope that changes because I do think he will be a great goaltender but you can't allow 3 goals that quick when your team needs you to step up. Now with that said, You can't take that many penalties and put yourself in those kind of situations. Can't say if it was a sloppy game or not I didn't get to see it but I would tend to assume that with 19 penalities in a game that many shots given up that Miami didn't play their best and it was a rather chippy game.

Michigan St. Next weekend will be a stiffer test than originally thought, but two that you need to win. All in all after the first two weekends if you would of given me 3-0-1 I would of taken it and ran with it. I said before the year a 6-4 start would of been good with the quality of opponents in the first 10 games, so I am very pleased with where they are.

As for the timeout thing, I really believe Rico trusts his players and it is a learning curve. They will be faced with similar situations again at some point and now they have a point in the season to look back to on how to handle it. I really think he uses it as a learning curve and trusts that his players will get through it.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Some pics from Saturday night since none were used w/ the story - http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/20...s-mens-hockey/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
            It is early and I want to see a little more from knapp, but early indications are he can't stand on his head to win a game when needed. I hope that changes because I do think he will be a great goaltender but you can't allow 3 goals that quick when your team needs you to step up. Now with that said, You can't take that many penalties and put yourself in those kind of situations.
            I think Knapp can win a game when needed, he made some great breakaway saves against SCSU and kept that at a shutout.

This game he was hung out to dry. Miami winning 3-2 before we started hitting the penalty box. UNH had almost 4 full continuous minutes of 5x3 play, and he didn't let up a goal until around the 3rd minute of that. We didn't help him out at all and were asking to lose the game with those penalties. After thier two goals they had all the momentum in the world, at which point I even said "Hey Rico, call a timeout", but they scored again right afterwards. I don't think you can necessarily pin the blame of the goals on him since we were playing two down for that long (and half the guys in the box were defencemen).

Comment

Point well taken, like I said I didn't watch so I have no clue what goes were legit and if play was sloppy or not. I just went off the box score. I went back and looked at his record and how many games he has faced 30 + shots and it was only 3 and he is 1-0-2 in those games, well now 1-1-2 but still isn't bad. And he is 13-7-1 with less than 30 shots. ( the tie coming to NMU when he faced only 7 shots total) I think I jumped to conclusions too quickly there, I still think he will be the go to guy and he has a lot of talent/potential. I think it comes down to age, he is only 19 and Cody is 22 or close to it.

Now as for this weekends games, IMO they will be far more difficult than we/I originally thought. MSU has seemed to turn things around quicker, and those younger guys are getting in sync early and seems they are finally healthy. Granted Clarkson and Maine aren't going to be powerhouses this year but starting 3-1 gives them a lot of confidence and you can bet a Rick Comely coached team will battle for 60 min. Miami needs 2 wins here this weekend to get a good start on conference play and keep momentum going into NMU next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                Some pics from Saturday night since none were used w/ the story - http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/20...s-mens-hockey/

Great stuff, thanks Melissa. #32 is one of the reasons we will grow to like Hartman. And the Canonne clan is a good one too.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                  Great stuff, thanks Melissa. #32 is one of the reasons we will grow to like Hartman. And the Canonne clan is a good one too.
                  How about #35 too, gotta love wideman getting gritty! Also look at #39, how did palmer not blow something out there?? geesh...

Also was watching the highlights, and one thing I don't think I mentioned that stood out to me was the play of Will Weber, I thought he was very good on friday atleast. Campers first goal, which I believe was the 4th or 5th one and was on the power play, was due largely because Weber stepped up, finished his check in the corner, and moved the puck to the point where it was passed to Camper for a one timer.

Comment

Nice pics.

Overall, it was nice to get the win and tie at UNH, but it would have been better if we hadn't imploded in the 2nd on Saturday. All the penalties! Very undisciplined even if it sounds the refs might not have been at their best. But, I didn't see the game, so I'm just reacting. Really too bad to leave Connor hung out to dry with extended 5-on-3's to kill. Hopefully they shake it off and get two wins this weekend for our first conference test of the year.

It's Homecoming so hopefully the sold out building will actually be packed both nights!
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                      Nice pics.

Overall, it was nice to get the win and tie at UNH, but it would have been better if we hadn't imploded in the 2nd on Saturday. All the penalties! Very undisciplined even if it sounds the refs might not have been at their best. But, I didn't see the game, so I'm just reacting. Really too bad to leave Connor hung out to dry with extended 5-on-3's to kill. Hopefully they shake it off and get two wins this weekend for our first conference test of the year.

It's Homecoming so hopefully the sold out building will actually be packed both nights!

While I agree with you, you can also spin it the other way. They put themselves behind the 8 ball and it was a great job to scratch and claw your way back in the game after giving up 3 goals in about 2 min. Although I hope they don't make a habit of putting themselves in that situation.

I hope the building is packed as well, there needs to be something done with the season ticket holders. Yes it's nice to sell all the tickets but it looks awful to have a #1 team in the country and all of those empty seats in the middle of the arena....

Comment

Jimmy Mullin sighting...

Listed as a C player by NHL Central Scouting.

http://www.nhl.com/league/ext/pdf/PlayersToWatch.pdf

Comment

Jimmy Mullin sighting...

Listed as a C player by NHL Central Scouting.

http://www.nhl.com/league/ext/pdf/PlayersToWatch.pdf
                          http://www.s-sm.org/athletics/inters...id=2009+-+2010

Found him on the one team we didn't wanna see him on, the prep squad. For a kid that was highly regarded, not to make the big club in his senior year, is definitely disappointing. Hope he winds up with the Ice and gets a year or two of USHL in him.

Comment

I don't know as much about this level of hockey as you, but I didn't see another squad he'd be on. Where should he be? That said, it seems unlikely he'd even be rated by NHL CSS if he weren't still solid.

Comment

I don't know as much about this level of hockey as you, but I didn't see another squad he'd be on. Where should he be? That said, it seems unlikely he'd even be rated by NHL CSS if he weren't still solid.
                              The AAA team is the one that has had the likes of Crosby, Eaves, the Parises, Toews.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, he's playing good competition there, much better than he would if he was playing at any Midwest highschool team, but there's still a step above that I wish he was able to play at this season. He lit it up last year with the U16 squad so figured he'd be able to make AAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X