X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldogs 09-10 Season

UMD has on it's roster:

17 Skaters
    2 Goaltenders (Freshman Harss and Sophomore Steck)
    8 Freshmen (including Harss) and 3 Sophomores (including Steck) with little playing time last season.

The first half of the season may look like a complete rebuilding year.. but I figure by the time the Christmas break comes, the team should have "jelled" and figured out how to play together.

Non-Conference this year is on the road other than Robert Morris to open the season, with the team going out east to play Mercyhurst and Boston College.

UMD gets an early series at the Gophers October 16/17, and doesn't see Wisconsin until December, and plays the Badgers twice in 3 series (separated by Christmas break.)

It should still be fun to watch, and it all starts in 8 days!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Re: Bulldogs 09-10 Season

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
    UMD has on it's roster:

17 Skaters
    2 Goaltenders (Freshman Harss and Sophomore Steck)
    8 Freshmen (including Harss) and 3 Sophomores (including Steck) with little playing time last season.

The first half of the season may look like a complete rebuilding year.. but I figure by the time the Christmas break comes, the team should have "jelled" and figured out how to play together.

Non-Conference this year is on the road other than Robert Morris to open the season, with the team going out east to play Mercyhurst and Boston College.

UMD gets an early series at the Gophers October 16/17, and doesn't see Wisconsin until December, and plays the Badgers twice in 3 series (separated by Christmas break.)

It should still be fun to watch, and it all starts in 8 days!
    I know I could look for myself...but I'm sure you know. Is Blais with the team this season?
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Yep,

Emmanuelle Blais is on the roster and on the WCHA all-star lineup for Friday night far as I know (Scratch that.. Laura Fridfinnson is playing on the all-star team, not Blais, BUT Blais is on the roster this year).. though I'll be at high school football rather than the X since I'll miss the next week's high school for the UMD/RMU series.
      Last edited by dhmn; 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

There are TWO freshmen from Duluth this season also...

Gina Dodge that many will know as a 6 year player for Duluth, and an all state honorable mention, and Stephanie Lenz who was listed as a late addition on her Bio.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
          Yep,

Emmanuelle Blais is on the roster and on the WCHA all-star lineup for Friday night far as I know (Scratch that.. Laura Fridfinnson is playing on the all-star team, not Blais, BUT Blais is on the roster this year).. though I'll be at high school football rather than the X since I'll miss the next week's high school for the UMD/RMU series.
          According to the UMD website Rasmussen, Blais and Fridfinnson are on the all star team.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/teams-wom...4507&page=news

Comment

The News Tribune listed Tuominen instead of Blais..that's why I back-tracked... I guess those who go tomorrow will find out

EDIT: Since when do we UMD fans use the News Tribune as a source anyway? If Kevin Pates writes it I believe it.. otherwise ya never know!
            Last edited by dhmn; 09-24-2009, 10:13 PM.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Aw I thought this thread was for Yale
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I tried to title it UMD but it kept making it Umd instead so I went with Bulldogs instead

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Well its time to drop the puck on the 2009-2010 Bulldog season!!! Can't wait to see this years team......
                  Thank you Seniors, Rasmussen,Blais,Tuominen,Murray ,Hakala...your contributions will never be forgotten.
                  2010 National Champions!!!! And lets not forget 2008 as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
                    Well its time to drop the puck on the 2009-2010 Bulldog season!!! Can't wait to see this years team......
                    I still believe this will be a 2nd half team.... with this many freshmen expected to play a big role it's going to take them a month or two to even figure out what each other wants to do on the ice.

We have to really.. REALLLLLY hope that this team stays healthy and doesn't get the locker room flu that hockey teams have been getting around here the last few years.. when your numbers are already this low you can't lose ANYONE to illness or injury.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

In case people don't know it.. TONIGHT and NEXT Friday against St. Cloud games are at 6 pm, and not the usual 7 pm!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Jamie Rasmussen, Saara Tuominen, and Laura Fridfinnson all scored their first goals of the season, and Jessica Wong scored her first TWO career goals in UMD's 5-2 win over Robert Morris University. UMD is going to have to use team speed this season, with the losses of Elin Holmlov and Hailey Irwin and others to Olympic training. They aren't going to physically match up with most teams so the style of play is going to be different this season. Jennifer (Jenny?) Harss stopped 14 of 16 shots for the win.

Game pictures available here. I was a bit "rusty" at hockey and really was the first time with a camera/lens that was good enough to get fast enough speed for decent hockey pictures, so they'll improve over the season!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

UMD looked like the young inexperienced team they are today. 46 shots on goal and only able to bury one goal, which deflected off 3 players before going into the net... A lot of shots from the blue line also as RMU packed it in at the net most of the game. UMD's defense didn't cover very well and gave up goals in front of the net.

Need to step it up next weekend or SCSU's gonna get more than the 2 points from the DECC that they took last season.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Actually, I'm pretty excited by what the young Bulldogs showed in the opening series. We saw the leadership we can expect from the experienced players - Blais and Friddy put on a skating show in the Friday game . . . which was eye opening not only to RMU but also to some of their own teammates. A great, great example . . . . I could list examples from all of the upper class players. It's funny how last years bench players are now the experienced old hands and how as a fan it's nice to see them out there looking like they now know what's going on!! Oh, and Tuominen already got her penalty for the season . . . . so we don't need to worry about her being in the box again!!

The new players bring a lot of raw talent and speed with them . . Katie Wilson, A. Cournoyer, V. Thibault, J. Wong are all the real D1 deal. Inexperienced yes, a little lost, yes . . . but also very, very talented.

Harss . . . in goal, she seemed a bit tentative too . . . made some great, great saves - especially on Friday but then seemed glued to a spot on Saturday. Kind of reminded me of Riitta's first year. Again though, great potential.

It will be fun to watch this group gel and learn to play together. They're going to lose thier share of games . . . but once they start to figure it out we'll see how far they can go. It's even more exciting to think ahead already to next season . . .

Comment

Harss . . . in goal, she seemed a bit tentative too . . . made some great, great saves - especially on Friday but then seemed glued to a spot on Saturday. Kind of reminded me of Riitta's first year. Again though, great potential.
                              Harss definitely reminds me of Riitta.. she had to be taught how to go side to side (after her first season in Duluth) to get in position and I think Harss has the same "problem." She also drops to the 'butterfly' too soon sometimes it seems. She had trouble with traffic and the defense not clearing the lanes for her on Saturday also, but that's not on her, that's on the undersized 'D' needing to find a way to clear space in front of the net.

I also expect the line of Friddy, Blais and Tuominen line won't be together very long.. I expect Wong to move to the first line and Friddy and step into Elin Holmlov's place as the power spot with Blais and Tuominen. Wilson and Cournoyer would benefit greatly from having a more experienced player on their line and the first line/Wong would benefit be a good compliment to each other. I've made line guesses before and been wrong so we'll see

St. Cloud will probably come in and take 2 points, which I expect for a month or two from opponents while this team learns to play with each other. We have very little in terms of physicality on this team without Holmlov and Irwin especially, but the talent is there so that has to gel and mature to the NCAA game.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X