Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season?

Last year UMD seemed to emerge as a "darkhorse" late in the season. This year my pick is SCSU.

Re: Who will be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season?

I say MTU, as Coach Russell put it to the Misfits tonight, last year we never really had the chance to play as a team with all the injuries, so it's still to be seen what the team can accomplish.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I already sang their praises (albeit backhandedly) in the 09-10 WCHA preview poll, but keep your eye on UAA this season. They finished ninth despite scoring 23 points last season, and returned just about everyone including a ton of goal-scoring now-seniors. If not for the second half slump, they could have finished right in the thick of the pack.

They do have some significant holes they will need to overcome to fulfill this role. Their biggest weaknesses are in goal and on the penalty kill. I'm not sure I'd consider Olthuis or Christiansen "world-beaters." Also, when Michigan Tech hangs 4 PPG on you in a weekend, you're in big trouble.

The bottom half of this conference is always a logjam. If - IF - UAA shores everything up and uses their experience to keep it together down the stretch, I could definitely see them winning a horse race against depleted tUMD and CC squads and finishing as high as sixth.
      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 09-24-2009, 01:22 AM.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Well I hope St. Cloud State...I think this seasons depends almost single-handidly on freshmen goalie Mike Lee, though he should do fine because apparently our defense has really clicked this off-season..

Comment

Does MTU finishing in 9th count as the darkhorse?

Actually, I'll go with Mankato

seriously...
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
            I think this seasons depends almost single-handidly on freshmen goalie Mike Lee
            This is why nobody takes you seriously...
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Denver
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Denver
                Or in other words, any connection between the way Dirty's brain works and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

apparently our defense has really clicked this off-season..
                  They really gelled in the SCSU intramural league?
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Well I hope St. Cloud State...I think this seasons depends almost single-handidly on freshmen goalie Mike Lee, though he should do fine because apparently our defense has really clicked this off-season..
                    Huh?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
                      Or in other words, any connection between the way Dirty's brain works and reality is purely coincidental.
                      Be nice, Tyler.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Ron His Horse is Thunder?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          ...keep your eye on UAA this season. They finished ninth despite scoring 23 points last season, and returned just about everyone including a ton of goal-scoring now-seniors. If not for the second half slump, they could have finished right in the thick of the pack.
                          I've never completely agreed with the theory that claims a team will be much improved because they have everyone back. Couldn't the opposite be assumed as well? If you have everyone back from a 9th place team, why would you say they are going to be better when they have the same 9th place players returning?

I can understand making this claim when a middle of the pack team has all their core players back, and have supplemented the roster with a highly recruited goaltender, or a big name freshman goal scorer, but a 9th place team? There may be a pretty good reason UAA finished in 9th last year. They didn't have players that were very good. Why should it be different this year just because they are a year older?
                          Originally posted by Skeeterman
                          Ski yo momma!
                          Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
                          Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            I already sang their praises (albeit backhandedly) in the 09-10 WCHA preview poll, but keep your eye on UAA this season. They finished ninth despite scoring 23 points last season, and returned just about everyone including a ton of goal-scoring now-seniors. If not for the second half slump, they could have finished right in the thick of the pack.
                            UAA is actually an intriguing pick as a Dark Horse.

I like to look at the last 10 games of the WCHA's previous regular season to gauge who was hot at the end of the year when everyone is scrapping for playoff position. UAA was right up there.

Code:
                            1. UND  7-2-1
                            2. DU  5-3-2
                            3. UAA 5-4-1
                            3. SCSU 5-4-1
                            3. CC  3-2-5
                            6. MSU-M  4-4-2
                            7. WI  4-5-1
                            8. UMD 3-5-2
                            8. MN 3-5-2
                            10. Tech 1-5-4

Comment

Goaltending will be fine with Lee and Dunn. The question is can those four first year defenseman form last year take the next step. If so this is going to be a great year. If not, it is middle of the pack for this team again.
                              Last edited by scsutommyboy; 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM.
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X