Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Here are some key comments from Richie Smith, chairman of the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education (with emphasis added). You can watch Smith's news conference here.

"...a resolution from any sovereign nation such as Spirit Lake or Standing Rock can be changed..."

"On the board, we feel that we need at least a 30-year binding commitment that would probably include a waiver of sovereign immunity and federal jurisdiction, and a binding document so the university knows it has a commitment for 30 years."

"The board put on an additional commitment. We need a 30-year agreement that was binding."

"The attorney general agrees with me that something more than a resolution is prudent."

Question: "So you need more from Spirit Lake?"

Answer: "Yes."

"This type of issue needs a 30-year type of commitment or longer."

"The 30-year agreements would have to be binding on both tribal councils and the tribes, and something that our attorney feels is the right thing to do on behalf of UND. So is that automatic? Not without a lot of review."

"The intent of the board is that 60 days from today, we're done with this issue."
    Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
      Here are some key comments from Richie Smith, chairman of the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education (with emphasis added). You can watch Smith's news conference here.
      All of which means right now we don't have adequate support from EITHER tribe, as far as the NDBHE is concerned.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
        All of which means right now we don't have adequate support from EITHER tribe, as far as the NDBHE is concerned.
        Look at it as a four-part test. Each tribe must satisfy the NCAA settlement and sign a legally binding 30-year agreement with UND. Right now, with 60 days to go, the test is only 25 percent complete (assuming Standing Rock's resolution is acceptable to the NCAA). The part of the test imposed by the State Board of Higher Education is by far the most difficult and nowhere near being completed.
        Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

http://www.siouxshop.com/new-arrivals.php

Here is a link for the new White-Out shirts for the Gopher series this year if you aren't in GF and would like one.

Comment

Look at it as a four-part test. Each tribe must satisfy the NCAA settlement and sign a legally binding 30-year agreement with UND. Right now, with 60 days to go, the test is only 25 percent complete (assuming Standing Rock's resolution is acceptable to the NCAA). The part of the test imposed by the State Board of Higher Education is by far the most difficult and nowhere near being completed.
            That would be Spirit Lake's resolution, but I don't understand why a "perpetual" agreement doesn't satisfy the 30 year requirement. At any rate, I am glad to see that the issue is nearly behind us.
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

VandeVelde is going to have a monster year.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                VandeVelde is going to have a monster year.
                Genoway will, too. BTW, change your sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                  Genoway will, too. BTW, change your sig!
                  Ok.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Ok.
                    Better. Not great, but better.

Comment

Brad Miller time season 2 is officially underway. Good to see Cory Feinhage on the show after he was the only player not to make an appearance last year..I love that new floor too.
                      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Arrgghh - I guess we'll have to plan for the Shot invasion next year.
                        Sounds like a plan. In GF for the home opener, I will be in the owners suite on Saturday.

Comment

Sounds like Frattin is working towards returning to UND next season:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/135366
                          That would be nice.

Comment

That would be Spirit Lake's resolution, but I don't understand why a "perpetual" agreement doesn't satisfy the 30 year requirement.
                            Because the same tribal council or a new tribal council can decide to withdraw that support at any time for any reason. So while the Spirit Lake resolution likely satisfies the NCAA, it doesn't come close to meeting the board's requirement for a legally binding 30-year agreement.

Comment

Because the same tribal council or a new tribal council can decide to withdraw that support at any time for any reason. So while the Spirit Lake resolution likely satisfies the NCAA, it doesn't come close to meeting the board's requirement for a legally binding 30-year agreement.
                              so bottom line here...are we still screwed?
                              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                                so bottom line here...are we still screwed?
                                Quite possibly.

Comment

Working...
                                X