Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Offensively losing Frattin was a big deal. Most players break out when they are juniors. Of the Junior class he had the best scoring touch and probably would have seen a lot of power play time. Personally I was looking forward to seeing if he could score 15-20 goals this year.

It will be hard for him next year. Losing that year of training with the team is going to set him back while the younger guys are getting better and better. The fact that there are only 2 senior forwards this year means the lineup spots for next year will be filled by blue chip freshmen. I don't think we will lose any forwards to the NHL. Please Kristo stay one more year!

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
      It will be hard for him next year. Losing that year of training with the team is going to set him back while the younger guys are getting better and better. The fact that there are only 2 senior forwards this year means the lineup spots for next year will be filled by blue chip freshmen. I don't think we will lose any forwards to the NHL. Please Kristo stay one more year!
      Maybe Frattin will skate with the team in practices during the 2nd half now that he is back enrolled in school.
      I'm hoping we see one more year out of Kristo and Gregoire.
      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

That would be great if they let him practice with the team/use the weight room etc. If not it will take a tremendous amount of self discipline on his part to stay sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
          Maybe Frattin will skate with the team in practices during the 2nd half now that he is back enrolled in school.
          I'm hoping we see one more year out of Kristo and Gregoire.
          If he's enrolled in school, any reason he can't play if Hakstol let's him back on the team? NCAA rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
            If he's enrolled in school, any reason he can't play if Hakstol let's him back on the team? NCAA rules?
            Someone asked this question to Schlossman in one of the game live update chats. He said that Frattin wasn't playing this season even though he was enrolled in school again. Hakstol wasn't going to allow him back onto the team until the 10/11 season.
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

We could have one awful cluster****** if Genoway redshirts, and Frattin comes back. With Mattson and Forbort scheduled to come in next year, we'll have some good d-men on the bench. The competition to play will be felt in the practices. Perhaps it's a good problem to have for Hakstol, but I don't want our team to end up like UW in recent years with too many players and not enough spots.
              'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
                We could have one awful cluster****** if Genoway redshirts, and Frattin comes back.
                No doubt. If Genoway didn't make it back this year and redshirted, and if Frattin comes back, we'd be left with this (also assuming no early departures...never a guarantee):

Forwards (15):
                Fr - D Mattson, Rodwell
                So - Kristo, Rowney, Cichy, Bruneteau, Knight
                Jr - Gregoire, Toews, Hextall, Lammy, Frattin (?)
                Sr - Trupp, Malone, Davidson

Defense (10):
                Fr - N Mattson, Forbort
                So - Gleason, MacWilliam, Hill
                Jr - Blood, Fienhage
                Sr - Genoway, Marto, LaPoint

The forward situation wouldn't be that bad even with Frattin's return, although it should be noted that both Fink and St. Clair could potentially come in as well (listed as 10/11). The defense though...ten players is way too high. Hill would be gone for sure, but what after that?

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

No doubt. If Genoway didn't make it back this year and redshirted, and if Frattin comes back, we'd be left with this (also assuming no early departures...never a guarantee):

Forwards (15):
                  Fr - D Mattson, Rodwell
                  So - Kristo, Rowney, Cichy, Bruneteau, Knight
                  Jr - Gregoire, Toews, Hextall, Lammy, Frattin (?)
                  Sr - Trupp, Malone, Davidson

Defense (10):
                  Fr - N Mattson, Forbort
                  So - Gleason, MacWilliam, Hill
                  Jr - Blood, Fienhage
                  Sr - Genoway, Marto, LaPoint

The forward situation wouldn't be that bad even with Frattin's return, although it should be noted that both Fink and St. Clair could potentially come in as well (listed as 10/11). The defense though...ten players is way too high. Hill would be gone for sure, but what after that?
                  They'd probably have Forbort wait a year. I think he just turns 18 this spring.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    They'd probably have Forbort wait a year. I think he just turns 18 this spring.
                    If he's a first-round pick he might end up somewhere else if UND deferred him, either another school depending on his LOI status or the CHL.

Comment

My first game-worn jersey has arrived!

Unfortunately I can't open it until Xmas, so it's just sitting under the tree.
                      Still, nice to know its there.

I see talk of Genoway redshirting, has there been any additional information on his status?
                      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                        Still, nice to know its there.

I see talk of Genoway redshirting, has there been any additional information on his status?
                        No doubt. I think I'll open it up tonight, Xmas rules be darned!

Not yet. Evidently he's doing a bit better, but he still hasn't even been cleared to start practicing, so they have no clue on a timeframe (at least that we've been told).

Hakstol did mention that he expects him back in the 2nd half. But he also said that if he doesn't make it back...that Genoway does qualify for the medical hardship waiver and could return next season if the waiver is granted.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

No doubt. I think I'll open it up tonight, Xmas rules be darned!

Not yet. Evidently he's doing a bit better, but he still hasn't even been cleared to start practicing, so they have no clue on a timeframe (at least that we've been told).

Hakstol did mention that he expects him back in the 2nd half. But he also said that if he doesn't make it back...that Genoway does qualify for the medical hardship waiver and could return next season if the waiver is granted.
                          I'm glad to hear Chay is doing better, but at this point, I'm wondering if shutting him down is the better option. You'd hate to see him hurt himself again. And with concussions being the "injury" that everyone is talking about in sports, I think it could be the prudent thing.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Sioux fans. May 2010 bring us good cheer and happiness.
                          Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

So, The Forum's sports staff had their wish list in today's paper. I'm going to have to agree with what Kerry Collins said:

"I wish for an end to the Fighting Sioux nickname debate. I don't care if they keep it or ditch it. I just want to stop hearing about it. I hope 2010 brings resolution so the school can move on unimpeded in its trek into Division I."

Amen to that!
                            Application for Admission to the WCHA:
                            http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
                            Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
                            Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
                            Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
                            All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Here's an article from today's GF Herald on Genoway:

UND men's hockey: Genoway still on the mend

Before the last road trip, Chay Genoway boarded the bus with the team.

He sat with his UND hockey teammates, chatted with them and got them fired up for their road trip to play Minnesota-Duluth. He didn’t leave the bus until it started pulling out of Ralph Engelstad Arena. Then came the long, painful walk down the tunnel, realizing that he was missing another trip with the guys and two more Western Collegiate Hockey Association games.

It has been a trying senior year for Genoway, who has missed the last nine games with post-concussion syndrome. The injury occurred on an illegal hit from behind into the boards by St. Cloud State forward Aaron Marvin on Nov. 13.

Genoway hasn’t played since. While he is making progress, the Sioux still don’t know when he’ll be back.

“There has been significant change from Day 1,” UND coach Dave Hakstol said. “But how you judge post-concussion syndrome on a timeline is a question that’s never been able to be answered, even by the top doctors and physicians in the world. When he gets there, when he’s 100 percent clear for a reasonable period of time, he’ll be back.”

Genoway has still been with the team off the ice. He hangs out at the rink and sometimes watches practice, although he sits at the top of the arena to keep his post-concussion side effects away.

Genoway made a short, live appearance on the big screen at the start of Saturday’s exhibition against the U.S. World Junior team telling Sioux fans that he misses them and that they are the best fans in hockey.

“I think anyone who saw him on the Jumbotron saw some of the pain on his face of being out of the lineup,” Hakstol said.

Genoway’s absence has made a young Sioux team even younger. UND’s senior class — Genoway, Darcy Zajac and Chris VandeVelde — is the smallest in the WCHA. UND also has more freshmen than anyone in the league.

They started the season 7-1-1, but are 2-5-2 since Genoway’s injury.

“Chay is our captain, no question, and a glue in the locker room,” Hakstol said. “But in his absence, someone else has to step up and take over that role. I don’t know if we’ve done a good job until now, but we have the right people in the locker room to be able to overcome that. We have a real determined group.”
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                                Here's an article from today's GF Herald on Genoway:

UND men's hockey: Genoway still on the mend

Before the last road trip, Chay Genoway boarded the bus with the team.

He sat with his UND hockey teammates, chatted with them and got them fired up for their road trip to play Minnesota-Duluth. He didn’t leave the bus until it started pulling out of Ralph Engelstad Arena. Then came the long, painful walk down the tunnel, realizing that he was missing another trip with the guys and two more Western Collegiate Hockey Association games.

It has been a trying senior year for Genoway, who has missed the last nine games with post-concussion syndrome. The injury occurred on an illegal hit from behind into the boards by St. Cloud State forward Aaron Marvin on Nov. 13.

Genoway hasn’t played since. While he is making progress, the Sioux still don’t know when he’ll be back.

“There has been significant change from Day 1,” UND coach Dave Hakstol said. “But how you judge post-concussion syndrome on a timeline is a question that’s never been able to be answered, even by the top doctors and physicians in the world. When he gets there, when he’s 100 percent clear for a reasonable period of time, he’ll be back.”

Genoway has still been with the team off the ice. He hangs out at the rink and sometimes watches practice, although he sits at the top of the arena to keep his post-concussion side effects away.

Genoway made a short, live appearance on the big screen at the start of Saturday’s exhibition against the U.S. World Junior team telling Sioux fans that he misses them and that they are the best fans in hockey.

“I think anyone who saw him on the Jumbotron saw some of the pain on his face of being out of the lineup,” Hakstol said.

Genoway’s absence has made a young Sioux team even younger. UND’s senior class — Genoway, Darcy Zajac and Chris VandeVelde — is the smallest in the WCHA. UND also has more freshmen than anyone in the league.

They started the season 7-1-1, but are 2-5-2 since Genoway’s injury.

“Chay is our captain, no question, and a glue in the locker room,” Hakstol said. “But in his absence, someone else has to step up and take over that role. I don’t know if we’ve done a good job until now, but we have the right people in the locker room to be able to overcome that. We have a real determined group.”
                                Just for the record I believe that Finley missed 12 games last year with his Concussion. I hope that Chay doesn't miss that many. With Genoway in the Lineup UND is a much better team.
                                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X