Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

OK, lets consider the last couple of weeks our "early season struggles" and pick it up from here
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      Marvin followed him up because until the dump in, Genoway had the puck. Marvin followed the play and Genoway got the puck back, then got rid of it and Marvin hit him.
      It's possible Marvin didn't see Genoway pass it off.
      I'm not condoning the hit, it was a CFB and he got the five and the game, I just don't think you can say Marvin was headhunting and intended to hurt him.
      Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      He gets five and a game either way, I think the suspension happens because of the injury.
      I also don't believe that hitting someone high is automatically intent to injure.
      Also, Marvin is 6'3", Genoway is 5'9", it's likely that any hit on Genoway by Marvin could be considered "high" with a 6 inch height difference.
      Permit me you guys to voice an opinion on this one. I know we're far removed from the incident at this point, but as an advocate for stopping this kind of malicious play in college hockey I want to add my .02 worth. In my opinion the above posts are a load of pure crap and wreaks of some pretty cold hearted bias. The video seems clear that Marvin goes around a player, pays no attention to the flow of play, in fact if you look closely it appears coming down the ice, he doesn't even take his gaze off of Genoway and then hits him from behind and HIGH in the back of the head and neck with the elbow/stick completely away from the flow of play.

From my perspective, Marvin was either not thinking and playing like a frickin' robot or executed a premeditated intent to dangerously injure another player. It's very obvious he tracked Genoway and went out of his way to deliver a vicious and dangerous hit to the head area, therefore my opinion is it was premeditated. I realize it is difficult to judge an "intent to injure" but in my view the evidence seems to lean in that direction.

It bothers me, no matter which team a player dresses for, that another player can deliver a vicious and crippling hit, which is potentially season and career ending, and skate away with relatively little repercussion. I don't think it favors the game of college hockey or a seriously injured college athlete to bear the brunt of this kind of stupidity without more serious disciplinary action being taken by the league against a player who executes this type of violent contact. Unfortunately, much of this is laid in the lap of officials to determine whether it's "intent to injure" or not and in my opinion based upon the initial outcome of the incident that is not very comforting.

The stupidity and incompetence of the refs errant judgment in this case is simply unprecedented. How can four refs not see the play when the puck is five feet away from the incident? And then impose a penalty on the Hepp, the wrong player, sending him to the showers while Marvin skates around for another 2.5 minutes? That is ineptitude at it's finest. The refs should be seriously reprimanded for that ridiculous and comical display of buffoonery.

I hope something can be done next year to impose strict sanctions against this kind of contact when the NCAA rules committee convenes to look more closely at changing the ruling on "hits to the head".

The following happened on Nov. 24:

WCHA commish Bruce McLeod is going to have a teleconference call with all the coaches in his league to make sure they understand the new emphasis on hits to the head.

"We are following up," McLeod said on Tuesday. "The purpose is to further clarify the NCAA memo. .. We all need to be more diligent and raise the profile as much as we can on contact to the head.

"They can't change rules. [That is done every two years; 2010 is the next year rules can be amended.]"

But, even in going through the present rules, there is zero tolerance on contact to the head, McLeod said. But officials have discretion on the severity of the penalty. It could be a two-minute minor, a five-minute major or a disqualification.

"Even with players being in vulnerable positions or quote, on blind-side hits, if there is contact to the head in those situations," McLeod said, "it [a penalty] has to be called. ... And it can be contact to the head with any part of the body, an elbow, a shoulder."
      Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        It's not going to get better anytime soon...
        Now we learn that Zajac is out for 4-6 weeks:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66178

The ND tourney we'll be without Genoway, Zajac, and Kristo...
        I really hope that Genoway can make it back by the next WCHA series.

Speedy recovery Darcy.
        I also heard today that Chay still hasn't improved. Not good news.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          I also heard today that Chay still hasn't improved. Not good news.
          Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon that Chay was starting to have more good days than bad. Sweeney said it during the Sat night broadcast as well.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon that Chay was starting to have more good days than bad. Sweeney said it during the Sat night broadcast as well.
            That would be good but someone I know talked to him and he still is having trouble reading and isn't working out yet...
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
              That would be good but someone I know talked to him and he still is having trouble reading and isn't working out yet...
              Not a good situation regardless. Hopefully the two weeks off of school do him some good.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

The following information highlights the long term seriousness of head injuries and concussions like the one incurred by Chay Genoway. This kind of violent contact should not be taken lightly by the NCAA rules committee:

Effect of concussion can last for decades

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A single concussion early in an athlete's career can take a toll on memory, attention and reaction time 30 years later, Canadian researchers said on Tuesday.

Compared with athletes with no history of concussion, those who had sustained a concussion had memory and attention problems and had slower reaction times, researchers reported in the journal Brain.

"This study shows that the effects of sports concussions in early adulthood persist beyond 30 years post-concussion and that it can cause cognitive and motor function alterations as the athletes age," Louis De Beaumont of the University of Montreal, who led the study, said in a statement.

De Beaumont studied former university-level athletes aged 50 to 65, most of whom had played hockey. Nineteen had sustained a concussion more that 30 years prior; the remaining 21 had not. All were healthy and physically fit.

The former athletes answered questionnaires on their general health and took a battery of memory and attention tests. Those who remembered having had concussions did more poorly on the tests.

De Beaumont said the findings suggest "athletes should be better informed about the cumulative and persistent effects of sports concussion on mental and physical processes so that they know about the risks associated with returning to their sport."

From: http://www.readinghospital.org/wtn/P...geID=WTN000207

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Permit me you guys to voice an opinion on this one. I know we're far removed from the incident at this point, but as an advocate for stopping this kind of malicious play in college hockey I want to add my .02 worth. In my opinion the above posts are a load of pure crap and wreaks of some pretty cold hearted bias. The video seems clear that Marvin goes around a player, pays no attention to the flow of play, in fact if you look closely it appears coming down the ice, he doesn't even take his gaze off of Genoway and then hits him from behind and HIGH in the back of the head and neck with the elbow/stick completely away from the flow of play.

From my perspective, Marvin was either not thinking and playing like a frickin' robot or executed a premeditated intent to dangerously injure another player. It's very obvious he tracked Genoway and went out of his way to deliver a vicious and dangerous hit to the head area, therefore my opinion is it was premeditated. I realize it is difficult to judge an "intent to injure" but in my view the evidence seems to lean in that direction.

It bothers me, no matter which team a player dresses for, that another player can deliver a vicious and crippling hit, which is potentially season and career ending, and skate away with relatively little repercussion. I don't think it favors the game of college hockey or a seriously injured college athlete to bear the brunt of this kind of stupidity without more serious disciplinary action being taken by the league against a player who executes this type of violent contact. Unfortunately, much of this is laid in the lap of officials to determine whether it's "intent to injure" or not and in my opinion based upon the initial outcome of the incident that is not very comforting.

The stupidity and incompetence of the refs errant judgment in this case is simply unprecedented. How can four refs not see the play when the puck is five feet away from the incident? And then impose a penalty on the Hepp, the wrong player, sending him to the showers while Marvin skates around for another 2.5 minutes? That is ineptitude at it's finest. The refs should be seriously reprimanded for that ridiculous and comical display of buffoonery.

I hope something can be done next year to impose strict sanctions against this kind of contact when the NCAA rules committee convenes to look more closely at changing the ruling on "hits to the head".

The following happened on Nov. 24:
                  Harley, you are reasonable after all.

Comment

This weekend just showed me the difference between a team playing 7 seniors and a team playing 7 freshmen. Wisconsin at times dominated play mainly by out-muscling the Sioux. The Badgers were just stronger than the Sioux. Still the Sioux could have won either game. The reality is that UND cannot count on Genoway coming back. With Zajac out for the next month with surgery they will have one senior playing until late January. It's tough but that's the cards we're dealt. I've seen a lot of improvement in the freshmen defensemen and Fienhage has improved a lot with increased playing time. In general I'm happy with the talent and the effort. What we need the most is for Eidsness to play better and for everyone to stop taking stupid penalties. If those two things happen the second half of the season will be a big success.

Anyone who looked at the schedule knew that these past 10 games would be tough. We didn't win much but we were very competitive. We'll be better in the second half of the year.

Comment

Cool article in the Herald about a NY man that visited the Ralph on Sat night, making it the 124th hockey rink he has visited:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

More thoughts from the Sioux blog:

* This has the atmosphere of a Frozen Four game, but people here just call it a Saturday night.
                      * REA and UND does such an incredible job honoring the Sioux heritage that it amazes me that the NCAA would ever consider sanctioning a team that honors Native Americans.
                      * Unlike other modern venues, it perfectly and tastefully captures the great history.
                      * It's a good thing I waited until No. 124 for this, because otherwise it would have ruined it for all of the other rinks.
                      * The student section has prime seats, rather than jamming them in the corners or ends -- a salute to true fans.
                      * Sometimes I could not mind the action because I was so mezmorized by the detail of the arena. Seemingly nothing was out of place, except for a few Wisconsin fans.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Here is the bottom line Sioux players and Sioux fans---
                        2009 is over some good things happened and some bad things happened-- get over it!!
                        2010 is about to begin and you can strap the skates on tight and go for #8 and man up or we can keep whinning about the refs and stupid CFB's ...
                        i say lets roll and go for #8

LETS GO SIOUX!!!
                        Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Is anyone else planning on going to the Notre Dame tourney near Chicago after the New Year?
                          I'll be there, ordered up my tickets last week. They were pretty reasonable...
                          The whole brianvf family will be making the trip.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Oshie had a nice night last night. So did Rene Bourque.

http://host.madison.com/sports/hocke...1561e5102.html
                            Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

CHN article on the UND injuries:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...7_fighting.php

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Is anyone else planning on going to the Notre Dame tourney near Chicago after the New Year?
                                I'll be there, ordered up my tickets last week. They were pretty reasonable...
                                The whole brianvf family will be making the trip.
                                Dogs and bikes included? How about the mistresses?

Comment

Working...
                                X