Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Ah, it wouldn't surprise me if we split with MSUM either.
    They always seem to play us tough, and UND has had difficulty in sweeping opponents so far this year.
    Yeah, even the gophers took a point from you guys at home. That's just sad.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Yeah, even the gophers took a point from you guys at home. That's just sad.
      Even more sad is we had multiple chances to make it two points.

Comment

Nice article on Zajac:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/143809/
        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Frustrating weekend for the Sioux.
          Stupid penalties tonight, and UW made them pay. UND is in a funk right now, and what are the odds that the funk is directly tied to Genoway's injury. This team needs him back if they want to make a 2nd half push again.
          Time to regroup and go into the ND tourney with a fresh outlook.

Hopefully we can meet the BADgers again later on this year, with a bit more on the line.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

It's not going to get better anytime soon...
            Now we learn that Zajac is out for 4-6 weeks:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66178

UND entered the season with just three seniors and the youngest team in the league. It's only getting younger.

After the 4-3 loss to Wisconsin, it was revealed that alternate captain Darcy Zajac will miss the next four to six weeks with an undisclosed injury. With Chay Genoway still out indefinitely with the concussion, UND will be down to just one senior -- Chris VandeVelde.

The Sioux projected confidence that they'll get things going in the second half, but they'll have to do it with a lot of guys who weren't part of those previous teams.
            The ND tourney we'll be without Genoway, Zajac, and Kristo...
            I really hope that Genoway can make it back by the next WCHA series.

Speedy recovery Darcy.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I posted this over on ss.com as well, but thought I would move it over here as well...

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Genoway back and healthy
              * VandeVelde back to 100%
              * Speedy recovery for Zajac
              * Keep the stellar OOC record up by doing well @ the ND Tourney and Cornell
              * Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Finish top 3 in WCHA (possible?)
              * Make the Final Five
              * Win the Broadmoor
              * Win the Regional
              * Win the National Title

There, was that so hard?
              Anything to add?

If the old line is that it is best to finish top 3 in the league in order to have the best shot to not only make the Final Five, but to avoid the play-in game...who that is currently in the top 5 ahead of us will have to falter?
              DU and UW appear to be for real. UMD has probably some of the best offensive talent in the league. I haven't seen CC, so nothing to comment on. SCSU has good offensive depth, but probably lacks the talent level overall when compared to DU/UW/UMD/UND. There are only 6 points separating us from 1st place DU right now, so anything is possible. It all starts in Jan with home series against MSUM and DU, and a road series against UMN. The team can't be giving points away any longer...

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I posted this over on ss.com as well, but thought I would move it over here as well...

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Make the Final Five
                * Win the Broadmoor
                * Win the Regional
                * Win the National Title

There, was that so hard?
                Anything to add?

If the old line is that it is best to finish top 3 in the league in order to have the best shot to not only make the Final Five, but to avoid the play-in game...who that is currently in the top 5 ahead of us will have to falter?
                DU and UW appear to be for real. UMD has probably some of the best offensive talent in the league. I haven't seen CC, so nothing to comment on. SCSU has good offensive depth, but probably lacks the talent level overall when compared to DU/UW/UMD/UND. There are only 6 points separating us from 1st place DU right now, so anything is possible. It all starts in Jan with home series against MSUM and DU, and a road series against UMN. The team can't be giving points away any longer...
                That's a pretty long Christmas list. You better have been a good boy this year.
                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                  That's a pretty long Christmas list. You better have been a good boy this year.
                  First, of course I've been a good boy.
                  Second, it's a wish list for the team, not myself.

The short term goals are all reachable. They mostly consist of getting players back from injury.
                  The long term goals are what every high-tier team enters every season with, so that is just normal expectations.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

UND XMas Wish List

Short term:

* Consistent goaltending

Long term:

* Make the Final Five
                    * Win the Broadmoor
                    * Win the Regional
                    * Win the National Title

There, was that so hard?
                    Anything to add?

Well, I hate to be Mr. Negative, but.... a few thoughts on where we're at and where we're headed. Injuries are killing us. First Genoway, then VandeVelde and now Zajac. IIRC the team was pretty beat up by the time the tourny rolled around last year - who else is "dinged up" that we don't know about? Goaltending isn't what it was last year. Eids played great last year but has let in too many soft goals this year. His GAA and save % aren't bad but aren't quite what we need to win those games that we've lost by one goal or ended in a tie. Also this team hasn't figured out that they must play 60 minutes every game, which seems to be related to being so young. I think this team is built to be successful - next year.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                      IIRC the team was pretty beat up by the time the tourny rolled around last year - who else is "dinged up" that we don't know about?
                      It's got to be a few more. It was mentioned that only 17 skaters were cleared to practice last Tues or Wed. The Xmas break couldn't have come at a better time for UND. I would imagine that Hakstol will throw some fresh bodies out there against the WJC team on Saturday and probably rest some others.

We certainly can't afford any more injuries.

I think this team is built to be successful - next year.
                      That's been mentioned a few times as well. If Kristo and Gregoire come back, plus the return of a great scorer in Frattin, next years team could be something special. That said, they'll have to find a replacement for Genoway as well, which they haven't been able to do yet this year since his injury. Hopefully these couple weeks off really help him out and he can make a return in Jan.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

That said, they'll have to find a replacement for Genoway as well, which they haven't been able to do yet this year since his injury. Hopefully these couple weeks off really help him out and he can make a return in Jan.
                        A concussion and especially a bruised sternum typically takes a significant amount of time to heal. Fortunately he didn't break the sternum, because that is incredibly painful. Even with a bruised sternum a person has a hard time even taking a deep breath without pain. Do you know anything about his status right now?

EDIT:

I watched the tape of the hit on Genoway and that was totally malicious by Marvin. The play had actually moved on at the time of the hit. Totally unnecessary. If Marvin doesn't have a history of dishing out cheap shots he does now.
                        Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          A concussion and especially a bruised sternum typically takes a significant amount of time to heal. Fortunately he didn't break the sternum, because that is incredibly painful. Even with a bruised sternum a person has a hard time even taking a deep breath without pain. Do you know anything about his status right now?
                          Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon before the UW series that he is starting to have "more good days than bad" and they hope to have him back in the 2nd half (didn't mention at what point in the 2nd half though).
                          They haven't mentioned the sternum aspect in awhile, it seems the focus has been on post-concussion syndrome.

He's now missed a month of action. Hopefully a couple more weeks off with the rest of the team will help him out...

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Hakstol mentioned during the booster luncheon before the UW series that he is starting to have "more good days than bad" and they hope to have him back in the 2nd half (didn't mention at what point in the 2nd half though).
                            They haven't mentioned the sternum aspect in awhile, it seems the focus has been on post-concussion syndrome.

He's now missed a month of action. Hopefully a couple more weeks off with the rest of the team will help him out...
                            I hope he gets better soon, that was a nasty and stupid hit by Marvin. That's close enough to the neck to really do some damage to a player. It looked to me like Marvin had his stick high enough to bring it across the back of Genoway's neck. That could have been a season ending hit.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              I hope he gets better soon, that was a nasty and stupid hit by Marvin. That's close enough to the neck to really do some damage to a player. It looked to me like Marvin had his stick high enough to bring it across the back of Genoway's neck. That could have been a season ending hit.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95l7_igqvf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                              The video doesn't show Marvin skating basically the whole length of the ice to make the hit. It does show him going around his own player to make the hit. That could have been more than season ending.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

The video doesn't show Marvin skating basically the whole length of the ice to make the hit. It does show him going around his own player to make the hit. That could have been more than season ending.
                                Agreed, with that kind of velocity to the back of the neck and head that's potentially career ending. Very, very stupid and dangerous. It looked like his sternum could taken an impact against the glass and the front of the shoulder pads at least would have helped to cushion the impact to some extent.

Comment

Working...
                                X