Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

the article I saw said that there could be a possibility of the deadline to let the sbhe know what the intentions being extended to 11/30, which is the date that they wanted to have a decision by if they were to hold a referendum. It takes at least 30 days notice to get one going, so that wouldn't happen by the 11/30 deadline if an answer were to be provided today still. I have a feeling this could either get pushed to February, or deadlines upheld. In any event, I hope that people would be able to voice their opinions, there's a loud minority, there needs to be a louder majority.
    THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
    1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
    1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
    University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
    University of Oregon Ducks Football
    San Francisco Giants
    Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
      I said it before and I'll say it again, the Lamoureux-Zajac-Rowney line is gonna be havoc for opponents this year. Go back and watch the 4th goal on Fri night vs the Gophers, he flat out beats Schroeder to the loose puck and buries the rebound.
      Rowney reminds me a bit like Porter.Does the little things under the radar.Strong on his skates like Porter was and is physical.
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        Supposedly the deadline was extended because the tribe asked for more time since they just elected new tribal council.
        Not sure if they'll be able to get a vote going or not in the next month.
        The next tribal council meeting is Nov.9.It will be discussed then and more than likely have a vote on the name before the Nov. 30 deadline.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          The next tribal council meeting is Nov.9.It will be discussed then and more than likely have a vote on the name before the Nov. 30 deadline.
          Hope springs eternal.

As a pessimist and a cynic, I think they'll get nothing done.

A perpetual delaying action. They'll show a little bit of progress but never quite get there and ask for enough extensions to get to the NCAA deadline and then stall some more.

The anti nickname crowd on the rez there will simply say that the nickname issue is taking away from more important issues and it should be tabled indefinitely. They're somewhat right, but hey, they could have been past this issue a year ago.
          Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
            Hope springs eternal.

As a pessimist and a cynic, I think they'll get nothing done.

A perpetual delaying action. They'll show a little bit of progress but never quite get there and ask for enough extensions to get to the NCAA deadline and then stall some more.

The anti nickname crowd on the rez there will simply say that the nickname issue is taking away from more important issues and it should be tabled indefinitely. They're somewhat right, but hey, they could have been past this issue a year ago.
            I too would be surpized is the name remains long-term. I don't agree with getting rid of the Fighting Sioux name, but between the problems with getting a long-term "contract" with the tribes and the statement by some schools that they won't play a team called "Fighting Sioux", I think we are in our final days of that nickname.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
              wow, Minnesota found a way to win.
              Twice.

Comment

you would of thought that a council previously in place would have coted on and passed a resolution with an unapproved view of the nickname, ending the use of the name and logo. This could get drug out to February, which, it seems as though there would be less and less of a chance to keep the name as time goes on. Just my take on it though, I'm sure someone sees it differently.

National Championships:

1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                San Francisco Giants
                Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Have noticed that Zach Parise and most NHL teams seem to have changed their skate sharpening technique to the flat-bottom v.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/sp...y/02skate.html
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

http://www.ktiv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11427463

interesting...looks as though this won't be up to the tribe then, but up to the SBHE.

National Championships:

Fan of:
                    San Francisco Giants
                    Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                      http://www.ktiv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11427463

interesting...looks as though this won't be up to the tribe then, but up to the SBHE.
                      It looks like the end is getting very close. I can't see the SBHE extending their deadline past the end of the year. Here's an article from today's Herald:

Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Charlie Murphy has written a letter rejecting a deadline on UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname, but there are differences of opinion among State Board of Higher Education members about what that actually means.

Board Chairman Richie Smith said it’s pretty clear to him that the tribe won’t work under a deadline. If that’s the case, “I wouldn’t personally extend the deadline,” he said today. “This issue is more or less holding UND back from going on about its business,” he said.

Without a deadline extension, the board likely would ask UND to begin retiring the 79-year-old nickname, which some have called racist.

Board member Grant Shaft, who’s from Grand Forks, took a different view.

“I took it as though they are wanting to dialogue with this, as though the month of November would be useful to them,” he said. If there was indication that Standing Rock leaders are working to make a decision on the nickname, he said he doesn’t see a problem giving the tribe more time.

“I don’t want the deadline to be a deterrent in itself for the tribe from being able to speak on the issue,” he said.

The board is scheduled to meet Nov. 19 at Minot State University, and Smith said he expects the nickname deadline will come up then. There would be no special board meeting earlier than that.

Shaft said he understands there’s a Tribal Council meeting Nov. 9. If the tribe reaches a consensus on the nickname then, he said, it would affect the board’s discussion.

Not priority

There are multiple deadlines, some official and some unofficial.

The most recent deadline was Oct. 31. By that time, the board needed to hear from the Standing Rock tribal chairman about whether he would be willing to hold a referendum on the nickname, which could pave the way for acceptance of the nickname by the tribe as a whole.

If the chairman indicated he would hold a referendum, the board then could extend the deadline to Nov. 30 to give the tribe time.

In the letter dated Oct. 30, Murphy rejected the deadlines.

“I believe that my administration would be open to discuss the matter but would prefer an open dialogue as opposed to a stipulated arrangement under deadline,” Murphy wrote.

He expressed his understanding that the board wants to resolve the issue expeditiously, but, “to be quite honest, this issue is not at the top of the new administration’s list of priority matters.”

Murphy also mentions that “members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe are clearly divided in the matter.”

Attempts to reach Murphy were unsuccessful Monday.

Summit League

For some board members, Dec. 31 is another deadline. Shaft said no board member is willing to cross that threshold.

The driving force behind the deadlines is UND’s desire to apply to the Summit League athletic conference as soon as possible. The mostly Midwestern league is seen as a good fit for the university, but the league won’t consider an application until the nickname issue is resolved.

With the start of the new year, league members will begin working on scheduling, Shaft said, and it would be harmful if UND still was struggling with the nickname.

In recent meetings, board members have indicated they were anxious to move on after shuffling deadlines to wait out the Standing Rock tribe.

The Tribal Council at the Spirit Lake Dakotah Nation, the other Sioux tribe in the state, has approved the nickname after a referendum in which 67 percent of tribal members gave their approval.

Shaft recognized that many board members feel what he called “issue fatigue.”

“Those of us here in Grand Forks, we’re more on the front line of the issue,” he said. “This issue for board members that aren't here in Grand Forks isn't as front and center.”

Final deadline

Little discussed since the Summit League application became associated with the nickname issue is the deadline set by the settlement with the NCAA: Nov. 30, 2010.

The NCAA considers American Indian nicknames offensive and, in a compromise with UND, agreed to give the university until then to win approval of the state’s two Sioux tribes to keep using the nickname.

The board pushed the deadline forward by more than year because of the Summit League.

A key question is what would happen between the board deadline this year and the NCAA settlement deadline if Standing Rock were to approve the nickname. That is, if UND had begun retiring the nickname, could and would the board go into reverse and accept the nickname once more?

Smith said it’s “theoretically” possible, as Shaft had earlier.

But there could be surprises ahead that affect the nickname transition, he said. “Lord only knows what would come up down the road.”

There are issues, he said, such as the transition to Division I athletics, scheduling of games and meets, league affiliation, changes required at the Ralph Engelstad Arena, not to mention the polarizing nature of the nickname on campus. “We have a lot of different constituencies that have their skin in the game.”

Asked if the state board would remain engaged with the Sioux tribes if the deadline stands, Smith said he thinks not.

“If the decision’s made then we’re done with it,” he said. “If the tribe drops the nickname, I don't think there would be any reason to maintain contact with the tribe over this issue, not unless they initiated the discussion.”
                      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                        It looks like the end is getting very close. I can't see the SBHE extending their deadline past the end of the year. Here's an article from today's Herald:

Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Charlie Murphy has written a letter rejecting a deadline on UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname, but there are differences of opinion among State Board of Higher Education members about what that actually means.

Board Chairman Richie Smith said it’s pretty clear to him that the tribe won’t work under a deadline. If that’s the case, “I wouldn’t personally extend the deadline,” he said today. “This issue is more or less holding UND back from going on about its business,” he said.

Without a deadline extension, the board likely would ask UND to begin retiring the 79-year-old nickname, which some have called racist.

Board member Grant Shaft, who’s from Grand Forks, took a different view.

“I took it as though they are wanting to dialogue with this, as though the month of November would be useful to them,” he said. If there was indication that Standing Rock leaders are working to make a decision on the nickname, he said he doesn’t see a problem giving the tribe more time.

“I don’t want the deadline to be a deterrent in itself for the tribe from being able to speak on the issue,” he said.

The board is scheduled to meet Nov. 19 at Minot State University, and Smith said he expects the nickname deadline will come up then. There would be no special board meeting earlier than that.

Shaft said he understands there’s a Tribal Council meeting Nov. 9. If the tribe reaches a consensus on the nickname then, he said, it would affect the board’s discussion.

Not priority

There are multiple deadlines, some official and some unofficial.

The most recent deadline was Oct. 31. By that time, the board needed to hear from the Standing Rock tribal chairman about whether he would be willing to hold a referendum on the nickname, which could pave the way for acceptance of the nickname by the tribe as a whole.

If the chairman indicated he would hold a referendum, the board then could extend the deadline to Nov. 30 to give the tribe time.

In the letter dated Oct. 30, Murphy rejected the deadlines.

“I believe that my administration would be open to discuss the matter but would prefer an open dialogue as opposed to a stipulated arrangement under deadline,” Murphy wrote.

He expressed his understanding that the board wants to resolve the issue expeditiously, but, “to be quite honest, this issue is not at the top of the new administration’s list of priority matters.”

Murphy also mentions that “members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe are clearly divided in the matter.”

Attempts to reach Murphy were unsuccessful Monday.

Summit League

For some board members, Dec. 31 is another deadline. Shaft said no board member is willing to cross that threshold.

The driving force behind the deadlines is UND’s desire to apply to the Summit League athletic conference as soon as possible. The mostly Midwestern league is seen as a good fit for the university, but the league won’t consider an application until the nickname issue is resolved.

With the start of the new year, league members will begin working on scheduling, Shaft said, and it would be harmful if UND still was struggling with the nickname.

In recent meetings, board members have indicated they were anxious to move on after shuffling deadlines to wait out the Standing Rock tribe.

The Tribal Council at the Spirit Lake Dakotah Nation, the other Sioux tribe in the state, has approved the nickname after a referendum in which 67 percent of tribal members gave their approval.

Shaft recognized that many board members feel what he called “issue fatigue.”

“Those of us here in Grand Forks, we’re more on the front line of the issue,” he said. “This issue for board members that aren't here in Grand Forks isn't as front and center.”

Final deadline

Little discussed since the Summit League application became associated with the nickname issue is the deadline set by the settlement with the NCAA: Nov. 30, 2010.

The NCAA considers American Indian nicknames offensive and, in a compromise with UND, agreed to give the university until then to win approval of the state’s two Sioux tribes to keep using the nickname.

The board pushed the deadline forward by more than year because of the Summit League.

A key question is what would happen between the board deadline this year and the NCAA settlement deadline if Standing Rock were to approve the nickname. That is, if UND had begun retiring the nickname, could and would the board go into reverse and accept the nickname once more?

Smith said it’s “theoretically” possible, as Shaft had earlier.

But there could be surprises ahead that affect the nickname transition, he said. “Lord only knows what would come up down the road.”

There are issues, he said, such as the transition to Division I athletics, scheduling of games and meets, league affiliation, changes required at the Ralph Engelstad Arena, not to mention the polarizing nature of the nickname on campus. “We have a lot of different constituencies that have their skin in the game.”

Asked if the state board would remain engaged with the Sioux tribes if the deadline stands, Smith said he thinks not.

“If the decision’s made then we’re done with it,” he said. “If the tribe drops the nickname, I don't think there would be any reason to maintain contact with the tribe over this issue, not unless they initiated the discussion.”
                        The short version: you guys are: 1) Hostile....2) Abusive....3) Hosed.

Glad to have you back heer causing your usual amount of trouble SFIS.
                        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                          The short version: you guys are: 1) Hostile....2) Abusive....3) Hosed.

Glad to have you back heer causing your usual amount of trouble SFIS.
                          Just doing my part to keep the masses informed.
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                            Just doing my part to keep the masses informed.
                            Glad to have you here doing it.

Comment

Wed update from Brad:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=63284

Sounds like Tech is going to try to limit Genoway's effectiveness this weekend.
                              Good luck with that.
                              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I'm not trying to look too far ahead, ok that's a lie, but cheverie is reportedly out for a few weeks with a deep laceration to his leg which required him to be carted off the ice on a stretcher. With Murray's save% below .900 that may bode well for us against a supposed powerhouse DU team. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Sioux Sweep Tech including two goals from Genoway and three notches on Macwilliams kill stick.
                                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                                X