Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Maybe UND should make Gothberg accelerate. That way he can come in at Christmas and we can throw Eids in the Red.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      Maybe UND should make Gothberg accelerate. That way he can come in at Christmas and we can throw Eids in the Red.
      You're going to have to cut a hole in the ice first.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
        You're going to have to cut a hole in the ice first.
        I'm pretty sure Eidsness can skate.
        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

We're a big 6 games into the season in which he has 1 loss.
          I wouldn't go as far as to call it a soph slump just yet.

He's got a 1.77 GAA and a .906 save %. Sure, he could get that save % up a bit, but he also needs some goal support better than what he got last night.
          He's still got the stats but look at the goals he's let in, especially the first one last night and a couple against the gophs, should have been saveable.
          Remember when you were young? You shined like the sun...

Comment

The first goal Eidsness gave up was a somewhat fortunate bounce for UAA. A better question is why Genoway didn't get the puck out of the zone when he had the opportunity to do so and instead got his pocket picked? That enabled the Seawolves to outnumber the Sioux down low and gave Clark the opportunity for an uncontested wraparound.

Hakstol addressed that in the post-game show, noting that the short, crisp breakout passes UND used Friday night were gone Saturday night. He said the defenseman were trying to skate the puck out of the zone instead of making good, quick outlet pass. And he also laid some of the blame on veterans who he said should know better.

On the UAA power play goal, Zajac was playing without a stick, which didn't help on what was a rather lethargic penalty kill to begin with. A player with the puck uncontested in the slot on the power play has a pretty good chance of scoring.

UND only scored one goal, and that wasn't until there was a minute and a half left in the game. The Sioux took undisciplined penalties and their top two lines where largely invisible for most of the game. Putting the blame on Eidsness is pretty silly.
            Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
              On the UAA power play goal, Zajac was playing without a stick, which didn't help on what was a rather lethargic penalty kill to begin with. A player with the puck uncontested in the slot on the power play has a pretty good chance of scoring.
              If I remember correctly too, a few moments before the goal, Zajac had the puck along the boards, but could only try to clear it with his skate since he didn't have his stick. That said, as I mentioned in the game thread, Eidsness slides way too far when moving laterally across the crease at times. He gets there quick, but he doesn't stop. He'd have had a better shot of saving that one if the slide didn't take him so far off to the side.

He's a solid goaltender though, and he was a big reason the Sioux even had a chance to tie it at the end by making some big saves on the PK, and keeping it to only two goals. I'm not going to give up on him, yet and certainly don't blame him for the loss. The loss was a team effort.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hakstol go with a rotation of Eidsness and Dell more this year though.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                If I remember correctly too, a few moments before the goal, Zajac had the puck along the boards, but could only try to clear it with his skate since he didn't have his stick.
                Right. I thought Zajac he was one of the few players who showed up for both games and played like a veteran.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hakstol go with a rotation of Eidsness and Dell more this year though.
                Dell was impressive. He seemed very quick to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a rotation.
                Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

I thought Zajac he was one of the few players who showed up for both games and played like a veteran.

Dell was impressive. He seemed very quick to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a rotation.
                  Zajac is insignificant though, if you read the blogs.

Agreed on Dell.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Red Line Report has great things to say about recent commitment Brock Nelson:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_N.htm

Warroad (Minn.) High School power center Brock Nelson recently committed to the University of North Dakota, and the Fighting Sioux can really count this one as a coup in smuggling the emerging star out of state right from under the noses of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Nelson, who is currently playing this fall in the Midwest Elite League until the local high school season starts in about six weeks, is one of Red Line's favorite early line sleepers for the 2010 Draft. Not many scouts outside of Minnesota have ever heard of him, and he didn't blossom until last season, so he's never been a part of the whole U.S. select process. So he may suffer from underexposure for now, but that won't last much longer.

Nelson, 6-2/205, with a great stride and powerful shot, also has a very strong bloodline in the sport. His uncle is Dave Christian, one of the key scoring cogs on the 1980 U.S. Olympic gold medal-winning squad. Christian is also a former UND All-American and won a national championship with the Sioux before launching an NHL career that spanned over 1000 games and nearly 800 points, so he likely had some influence on young Nelson's decision.
                    They also have Forbort ranked as the #9 draft eligible prospect for the 2010 draft.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Right. I thought Zajac he was one of the few players who showed up for both games and played like a veteran.

Zajac always comes to play. I love watching him work down low in the offensive zone and when he is killing penalties. His line has been playing great and they seem to me to be inspiring the team to work hard.

It was one game and we are bound to lose a few this year. Thats a tough roadtrip to go on and win 2 games. All the undisiplined penalties really seemed to wear UND out.

Comment

Was that the 1st game UND has lost that Zajac has scored in during his career?

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                          I've never been THAT impressed with Eidsness...I hope we see more of Dell in the future here.

Gotta figure out a way to come out more fired up on Saturday nights.
                          I'm glad I'm not the only one...last year he didn't seem to be too quick from side to side. I really didn't pay much attention to the game Saturday, but Dell looked good for the little shots he had against him. AA's goalies looked good too.
                          THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                          1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                          1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                          University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                          University of Oregon Ducks Football
                          San Francisco Giants
                          Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                            I'm glad I'm not the only one...last year he didn't seem to be too quick from side to side. I really didn't pay much attention to the game Saturday, but Dell looked good for the little shots he had against him. AA's goalies looked good too.
                            I said it last year...Eidsness needs to make the saves he's supposed to make and sometimes make the saves he shouldn't make. That first goal was just poor positioning by the goaltender. 2nd goal? Whatever...that was basically a 5 on 3 powerplay for the Seawolves. But Eids slides out of position a lot and seems to be bailed out by his defense quite a bit. I don't know...I think he's good, but not great. And unfortunately, good isn't going to help you when it comes time to step up.

Personally, I think the team would have lost with or without Dell in net. You can't play 15 minutes of a hockey game and expect to win.
                            Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

This is a good lesson for a young team. I think I posted this during the Merrimack series. Young teams frequently come out like gangbusters on Friday. Then, when they post a nice win, Saturday's effort is more relaxed. After awhile you learn that no matter how well you play Friday, you have to play twice as hard Saturday to come away with a victory.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                This is a good lesson for a young team. I think I posted this during the Merrimack series. Young teams frequently come out like gangbusters on Friday. Then, when they post a nice win, Saturday's effort is more relaxed. After awhile you learn that no matter how well you play Friday, you have to play twice as hard Saturday to come away with a victory.
                                weekend off and then MTU could be what they need. Could be a reality check, hopefully not, but they could get the time to learn they need, to learn from their mistakes, as well as others' watching tape. Hopefully it'll help and they'll have a test coming up with SCSU, DU and then the holiday classic with Ohio State and Miami. Not going to be an easy set. If they put their minds to it, they can do it.
                                THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                                1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                                1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                                University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                                University of Oregon Ducks Football
                                San Francisco Giants
                                Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Working...
                                X