Sporting News Ranks Pre-Season Top 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News Ranks Pre-Season Top 20

My buddy, who is a student at UMass Lowell just reffered me to the UML hockey website where they have listed the first pre-season poll that ive seen, created by the Sporting News. This may be the worst poll I have ever seen! Can somebody please fill me in about the following:

New Hampshire at 18? UMass at 20? (not that im upset with that..just suprised)
    St Cloud at 10? AND last but not least, Vermont goes from the Frozen Four to not even a top 20 spot. The link to the poll on UML's site is below. Maybe I just need to be filled in here, but I think this will get a lot of heads spinning!
    http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...092109aaf.html
    Let the Rebuilding Begin

Re: Sporting News Ranks Pre-Season Top 20

Well, I guess I can't complain about NMU being #15 and above schools like UNH and Wisconsin
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

how Sconni is that low is beyond me...and how St. Cloud is that high is beyond me
      Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Head spinning? No; Head scratching . . .

St. Cloud should be in top five.

Comment

Good to see the Sporting News is now allowing their staff to be drunk when coming up with rankings. Lowell shouldn't even be in the Top 20 much less Top 5.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            Good to see the Sporting News is now allowing their staff to be drunk when coming up with rankings. Lowell shouldn't even be in the Top 20 much less Top 5.
            *****http://maaadddog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/ignorance.jpg******
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              *****http://maaadddog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/ignorance.jpg******
              Um... yeah. I'm in the group that thinks any team that didn't even MAKE the NCAA tournament doesn't belong in pre-season top-10, much less top-5 rankings. I don't care how close they got to making the tournament, how they almost beat so-and-so... etc...

Comment

The Sporting News Ranking is not a poll, it is Larry Mahoney's (Maine beat writer) ranking of the teams. Just like the CHN ranking that is one writer....Wait til USCHO comes out with its coaches poll.

Then again, if a preseason poll had come out prior to the 2008-09 season without defending favorite Boston College and WCHA favorite Colorado College near the top (two teams that didn't make the NCAA's), that would have created lots of conversation too.

With the lack of talent in college hockey today, a Frozen Four without the usual suspects is not surprising any more.

Comment

It's obvious that UML is the most overrated team coming into the season, there's really no need to get angry just because I am one of the few to see it.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Minnesota is too high, obviously.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Duluth being ranked #8 is pretty surprising
                      Very odd---New goalie, graduated scorers, lost Oberg
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

...and then one day man said.. i own this land..

and the land laughed back..

GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I am happy with someone thinking that NMU is a top 15 squad. Hopefully they can crack the top ten by mid season.
                          TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                            Um... yeah. I'm in the group that thinks any team that didn't even MAKE the NCAA tournament doesn't belong in pre-season top-10, much less top-5 rankings. I don't care how close they got to making the tournament, how they almost beat so-and-so... etc...
                            oh, so this is a 2008-09 ranking?!?!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Well, I guess I can't complain about NMU being #15 and above schools like UNH
                              Clearly it was based on who more national titles (NMU vs. UNH)
                              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                              2006-2007: 15-24-2
                              2007-2008: 20-20-4
                              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X