Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in the Major Junior A front??

From today's NCAA news...

In the amateurism area, the Council will vote on an Amateurism Cabinet-sponsored proposal that would amend rules for prospects who participate on a team with a teammate who receives more than actual and necessary expenses. Proposal No. 2009-22 would permit prospective student-athletes before collegiate enrollment to participate on professional teams without jeopardizing eligibility, provided they do not receive more than actual and necessary expenses. Issues related to competitive advantages gained by participating on such teams are addressed through an organized competition component, similar to the rule in Division II.
    So if a PSA plays on a Major Junior A team and only received acutal and necessary expenses (housing, food, transportation, and laundry, for example), he would be good to go???????????
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Crack in the Major Junior A front??

Originally posted by joecct View Post

So if a PSA plays on a Major Junior A team and only received acutal and necessary expenses (housing, food, transportation, and laundry, for example), he would be good to go???????????
    Were they channeling Swami?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Sounds very subjective.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Beautiful.

DI proposal addresses professionalism

Jun 29, 2009 9:21:29 AM

By Michelle Brutlag Hosick
        The NCAA News

The Division I Amateurism Cabinet is sponsoring legislation to amend amateurism rules for prospects who participate on a team with a teammate who receives more than actual and necessary expenses.

The legislation also would require most student-athletes to enroll in an NCAA institution within a year of high school graduation without being subject to seasons-of-withholding conditions.

The rule targets what some have called “vicarious” or “collective” professionalism, a circumstance that renders prospects who participate on a team with a professional athlete a professional themselves, even if the prospect is not paid more than actual and necessary expenses for his or her services. Division II has dealt with similar issues because of its organized-competition rule.

The cabinet considered feedback from a number of coaches associations, most of which were supportive or indicated the change would not affect their sport. The cabinet sympathized with the prospects and coaches who have recruited prospects who are affected by the rule, and cabinet members want to hear membership comment on the proposed legislation.

Chair Mike Rogers, a law professor at Baylor, said he considers the rule unfair. He pointed out that legally, people are rarely liable for others’ actions. Relaxing the restrictions would also fit with the Association’s movement toward a student-athlete well-being focus, he said.

The NCAA Eligibility Center also supported the legislation because it would simplify the rules and focus the analysis on the individual recruit and not teammates.

The proposal also would give prospects a “grace period” to participate in organized competition without being subject to withholdings. If the prospect does not enroll and participates in organized athletics activities after that grace period ends, he or she would be required to sit out of competition for a year for an “academic year in residence.” At the request of the tennis community, the period was designated as six months.

If adopted, the legislation will be effective August 1, 2010.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

I guess this comes down to semantics and the devil is in the details- currently, all Major Junior players officially receive a "stipend" of a a few hundred bucks a month over and above their room, board and meals, which are covered by a "billet" arangement between the team and the host family. That stipend is really to cover incidentals, etc. Don't know if that would be considered "actual and necessary" or not. Seems like lots of wiggle room in the language.

Of course, a few selected MJ players also receive more more money from contracts/bonuses from the MJ team or the NHL team that owns their rights, but the vast majority of MJ players only get the stipend...

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Sounds very subjective.
            In theory, it's no different than any other Tier II Jr. A league or USHL where players don't have to pay-to-play.

In practice....

Anybody know if signing a contract that promises 4 years of schooling counts as "actual and necessary"? CHL teams can give out those like candy because nobody ever comes back to collect on it. And that's just the above-the-table stuff. We could have a golden age on this message board with all the potential "My team shouldn't have lost because your player took $100,000 back when he was 16 and you're a bunch of cheaters" whining and flaming.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

uh... and what about that whole "one year of graduation bit"? That also seems like a major change.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                I guess this comes down to semantics and the devil is in the details- currently, all Major Junior players officially receive a "stipend" of a a few hundred bucks a month over and above their room, board and meals, which are covered by a "billet" arangement between the team and the host family. That stipend is really to cover incidentals, etc. Don't know if that would be considered "actual and necessary" or not. Seems like lots of wiggle room in the language.

Probably on the same level as the Junior A stipends, which, hush hush, also are payments a wee bit above necessary.

Dick Decloe says its all right.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  uh... and what about that whole "one year of graduation bit"? That also seems like a major change.
                  Interesting. Wonder if hockey is considered as an exception to the "most" student athletes....

I would think that College Hockey people would have long been aware of these potential "changes"....

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Probably on the same level as the Junior A stipends, which, hush hush, also are payments a wee bit above necessary.

Dick Decloe says its all right.

Comment

Most interesting. Too bad that this didn't show up earlier in the off season. It would have kept thigns more lively during the summer.

Re Dick DeCloe. Without him, I wonder what Jack Pahker would be doing now.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        In theory, it's no different than any other Tier II Jr. A league or USHL where players don't have to pay-to-play.

In practice....

Anybody know if signing a contract that promises 4 years of schooling counts as "actual and necessary"? CHL teams can give out those like candy because nobody ever comes back to collect on it. And that's just the above-the-table stuff. We could have a golden age on this message board with all the potential "My team shouldn't have lost because your player took $100,000 back when he was 16 and you're a bunch of cheaters" whining and flaming.
                        I would imagine you'd have to refuse the stipend, the education package, and the signing bonus... which you would do only if you had a college scholarship offer in hand already. I doubt any 17 year old would refuse all of those things so he could retain NCAA eligibility while patiently waiting for an American college to come knocking at his door.
                        scsuhockey.com
                        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Re Dick DeCloe. Without him, I wonder what Jack Pahker would be doing now.
                          Actually, Decloe was the 1972 precurser. The final straw for Abbott was 1973's Peter Buckton and Peter Marzo and his "activities directed toward evasion of NCAA and ECAC eligibility rules relative to foreign hockey players."

http://select.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...89D95F478785F9
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Actually, Decloe was the 1972 precurser. The final straw for Abbott was 1973's Peter Buckton and Peter Marzo and his "activities directed toward evasion of NCAA and ECAC eligibility rules relative to foreign hockey players."

http://select.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...89D95F478785F9
                            My memory is faulty. FWIW, I knew Dick's brother Jack Decloe (RPI '72) who was in a calc course that I taught his freshman year 68-69 while I was a grad student. He also played for Abbott.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is long over due. The vast majority of CHL players receive a $50 dollar a week stipend to cover incidentals and not much else. To call them professional makes the NCAA very hypocritical, especially when one realizes the majority of tier II players receive the same type of stipends.

The NCAA then tries to claim that all CHL players are professionals since they play on the same team with NHL prospects that signed with NHL teams yet once again looks the other way when World Junior teams are formed that mixes so called "amateur" college players with "professional" CHL players.

Hardcore status quo fans like Happy will rail against this decision but the reality is that the NCAA is often losing the recruiting wars with the CHL......and as the ole saying goes, if you can't beat em then just join em.

Comment

Working...
                              X