Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    Now that was more like it.
    No...that was more like it!

Way to go Brad Phillips! Career high in saves. And some of those were pretty nice saves in some pretty heavy traffic, except for the 2 breakaways where he forced the shooter to make one move too many. More importantly, the team played in front of him! That makes shutout #2 for him. I have to admit, when they announced that he was in net, I was nervous. I guess I have to work on my hockey faith. Gotta keep that mustard seed closer at hand...

While I question most of the penalties (for both teams), I can take solace in the fact that ND scored on the PP and was perfect on the PK.

Kudos to Billy Maday for getting the GWG. And secondary kudos go to Ben Ryan and Calle Ridderwall (<3) for adding some insurance. Kyle Palmieri (off the post), Christiaan Minella (working the puck free for Ben Ryan) and Kevin Deeth (for being the face off god) are also to be commended.

There were a few blunders (bad calls aside), but in the end, they didn't come back to haunt them. Really the only problem I had was the announcers being on their knees (and I don't mean to genuflect...ahem) where BU and Coach Parker were concerned.

Way to go, boys. Now let's finish off the teams on Commonwealth Ave. this Friday with a big win for the home crowd.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the exhausting play in front of Phillips in the 3rd. What was that? 3 1/2 minutes straight of playing defense?! I was tired just watching them, but they held on and played tough. Gotta love grit.
    Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 10-20-2009, 08:36 PM.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1
      Can you say BU was totally over rated...
      No. Give them time to sort things out (a la ND). They have some killers on their team.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1
        Can you say BU was totally over rated... loved hearing the chant after our 2 goals... Way to go Irish! ....
        That's a little much after losing games to Huntsville and Providence at home. Apparently you are a crazy guy if you think that they had the right to call them overrated. But yes, congrats Irish, good win, thanks for beating them for us considering what, well, everyone knows what happened in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          No. Give them time to sort things out (a la ND). They have some killers on their team.
          we have loads of talent on our team and lots of playmakers, but absolutely no one who can finish and put the puck in the net. lots of credit to ND tonight for getting in the way of shots and passes - solid play all around for most of the game.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            That's a little much after losing games to Huntsville and Providence at home. Apparently you are a crazy guy if you think that they had the right to call them overrated. But yes, congrats Irish, good win, thanks for beating them for us considering what, well, everyone knows what happened in April.
            They do call me the crazy guy from section one! Apparently you have never met me or seen me at a game.

Remember when we came back last year after being a national champ finalist and we lost, remember how the other fans chanted over rated to us? So its not ok for us to chant it to them....

ok....
            Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
              They do call me the crazy guy from section one! Apparently you have never met me or seen me at a game.

Remember when we came back last year after being a national champ finalist and we lost, remember how the other fans chanted over rated to us? So its not ok for us to chant it to them....

ok....
              There are a few acceptable times to chant "overrated" in my personal philosophy, neither of which fall into the category of tonights game. If you were unranked (say you were a team from Alabama?), and beat a team that was slated to finish towards the top of the CCHA, that would be a good time to effectively use the chant. If you are two similarly ranked teams, both at the top of your leagues, I don't think there is much to gain in the overrated chant, because they should have known that BU isn't really that overrated. They may not be clicking on all cylinders just yet, but this is only their second game. Now if BG had went in there and beat them, hell everyone on the board would have been with you on saying that. But the Irish (Michigan, and Miami for that matter), have too much talent and expectations to be able to call a team overrated.

Comment

Agreed.... but it was still a heck of a game! Go IRISH!
                Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

That was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                    Agreed.... but it was still a heck of a game! Go IRISH!
                    Yea definitely was a quality win, and will help your PWR later in the season. Surprised Phillips was the man out there myself. Rebounds with a solid outing, and some offensive, and defensive help in front of him. Look forward to our matchup in Oxford in a few weeks.

Comment

Guys, great win on the road tonight! Very impressive, even with the couple blips on the radar early you showed tonight why you were picked so highly.

It wasn't pretty a lot of the time, but great way to grind it out and earn a hard fought victory on the road. CCHA is fairing very well against hockey east in the early going so far, keep it up!
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Well done Irish. It was an odd game to watch--lots of stuff happening in the third, that's for sure. The league is off to a decent start and that will help down the road. Does it seem like the Miami people are very happy with your win.

Comment

Alright. Back to business.

I can't wait til all the teams have several games under their belts so statistics are more relevant...

BC, like BU prior to that game, has played only one game that counts. They, like BU, have also played 2 exhibition games. Like BU, BC comes into this match having lost their game that counts. BC is an extremely young team. They have only 7 upperclassmen.

BC played UVM Sunday and gave up 4 goals while scoring 1, courtesy of junior Joe Whitney. In that contest, their PP went 0-fer and their PK worked 83.3% of the time. However, if you take into consideration their exhibition games also, their PP is 4% while their PK sits at 85%.

BC returns 6 of their top 10 scorers from last season. Their guns to watch include Whitney, Cam Atkinson, Barry Almeida, Chris Kreider, Matt Lombardi and Carl Sneep.

John Muse shared time in net in the 2 exhibition games, but is their starter. He had surgery in the off-season on his hip and, according to Coach York, is not quite at 100% yet. In the game that counts, he's got a GA of 4 and a save % of .800. Last season, his GA was 2.72 with a save % of .904.

ND comes out Friday averaging 2.4 GF (ick). However, their GA is a tasty 1.4, thanks to 2 shutouts. Their PP is a respectable 20%. Their PK is great in the early goings at 96.3%. ND is a pretty age/experience-balanced team, unlike BC.

ND is led by the usual suspects: Ben Ryan, Billy Maday (both with 5 points), Kevin Deeth and Calle Ridderwall (4 points each). I would love to see Kyle Palmieri and Riley Sheahan get back on the score sheet Friday. Goal. Assist. I don't care. Nick Larson came oh so close last night, so it would be nice to see him score again.

I would assume last night shut up people like me about the goalie question marks. I'm guessing that Brad Phillips will get the start, but isn't it nice to know that no matter who starts, they have experience and wins? Phillips has a GA of 2.01 and a save % of .936. Here's to continued good play in front of him for those skating out.

The first and most important step toward success is the feeling that one can succeed.

Comment

worse ND teams have beaten far better BC teams, so just be nice to us this time. here's to an injury free game and a successful season for the irish in the ccha.

and thanks for beating BU. hilarious (and phillips is on my fantasy team)
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Mini gallery from last night - http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/20...on-university/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                                Mini? That's a lot of photos for a mini gallery... Some good ones in there too.

After the BU game, I'm still a little concerned with the team's lack of offensive cohesiveness. Its coming around, but its coming around a lot slower than I would have expected. Especially considering this team was playing its fifth game against a team playing just its second. It took the better part of two periods, but once they scored they more resembled the team I am used to seeing.

With BC playing just one official game, I would once again expect this team to look a lot more seasoned than the Eagles, so we'll see.

It was nice to see Philips look so good in net. He looked as if he was playing without a lot of confidence earlier and against BU he looked like he knew he could win, he looked loose like he did in his freshmen auditions 2 years back, and he looked a little quicker than the first two games. Got to give him time to get back into actual game shape. Yes, he's "recovered" from the knee injury (he wouldn't be playing otherwise), but he still needs a handful games or so to really feel like he's back, I'm guessing. He still needs a little more rebound control, but if you remember, he looked a little like that two years ago, and I think the defense did a better job then of helping him out in front. My guess is this team is well suited in goal. I have no worries there.

Comment

Working...
                                X