Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Cat Country 99.9 has posted Notre Dame media day interviews...

http://www.catcountry999.com/crew/crew02.php

Comment

Originally posted by Brainasium View Post
      Snow didn't have much to say did he?
      And I defended that choice...

I never thought I would see someone more uncomfortable and untrained at public speaking than Stevie Y, but... I'm surprised he didn't take the path Brian Burke took (which was inspirational and congratulatory) about the joys and work it took being a student-athlete.

Eddie Olczyk is still my favorite thus far.

But none of that matters because hockey starts in 54 1/2 hours.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

A small Alabama Huntsville pre Notre Dame series story from the Huntsville Times.

http://www.al.com/uah/huntsvilletime...820.xml&coll=1

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Eddie Olczyk is still my favorite thus far.

I agree... Olczyk was the best speaker so far! It was nice to see the players and talk w/ them... Here are the pics of this years shirts...

For those of you who dont know we choose a senior each year to cheer on, its been an on going ritual....

Let us know what you think of this years shirts...

These are pics of my wive's shirt, mine has gold lettering....

Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

29 hours 2 minutes.... and counting....

Comment

Saw the shirts at Drop the Puck..they looked great. Brett is one of the most underrated players on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
                Saw the shirts at Drop the Puck..they looked great. Brett is one of the most underrated players on the team.
                that is the whole purpose of us doing the shirts and cheering for them... Brett is an amazing player and doesn't get enough credit... Good Luck this season to the IRISH....

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                  I agree... Olczyk was the best speaker so far! It was nice to see the players and talk w/ them... Here are the pics of this years shirts...

For those of you who dont know we choose a senior each year to cheer on, its been an on going ritual....

Let us know what you think of this years shirts...

These are pics of my wive's shirt, mine has gold lettering....

Neat shirts. Hopefully Blatch can find an empty net or two this year. 37 assists the last two seasons and no goals

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_ for Pres.
                  And I defended that choice...
                  I told you Snow was a curious choice.

Comment

As I sit here taking a break from grant writing and preparing my presentation to the school board on my alternative middle school, I was wondering why am I just now realizing that the first game at MSU is a Thursday? And why didn't I also realize that the NMU series here is Saturday-Sunday? Where have I been?

From the CCHA media guide: Notre Dame heads into the 2009-10 season as the top Division I hockey program in the nation over the last three seasons based on wins and winning percentage. Since the beginning of the 2006-07 season, the Irish are 90-28-10 (.742) in that span with two CCHA regular season and CCHA Tournament championships, three NCAA Tournament appearances and one trip to the Frozen Four.

Gotta love that!

As geeked as I am that the new season starts a mere 9 hours from this moment, I wonder just how geeked the team (especially the freshmen) must be?

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

...I wonder just how geeked the team (especially the freshmen) must be?
                      Apparently one (Nick Larson) got a little too geeked.

It looks like the Tribune is geeked, too. Non-game articles on two consecutive days? Oh wait, the football team is in the mid of their bye, aren't they?

Expectations are high for the penultimate campaign in the Joyce Center. And while I am thrilled (as we all are) to finally see Notre Dame recognize the hockey team for its recent accomplishments with new digs, that place is still our home. When Notre Dame has been good, they've been virtually unbeatable in the Joyce. We've seen a lot of good college hockey there, a lot of bad college hockey there, and a lot of mediocre college hockey there. But the imperative words in that sentence? College hockey. That alone makes the Joyce the place to be, and our home. There's but one banner to hang there boys. Tonight is the first chance to show you have what it takes to earn that thing.

And also a welcome to the near north country to our visiting fans from 'Bama. Hopefully the snow will hold off tonight and tomorrow night.

Comment

1 I though I've got pretty calm with the sport after such a long summer. No. I've been trembling since the moment the puck dropped

2 I felt very uncomfortable during the game, as if I was watching that game 7 month ago.

3 I swear I would neve say "I'm optimistic about...", never ever.

It's already "tomorrow" here. I'm wishing.
                        Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
                        and my faith never dies

Comment

Meh. Some of the positives from tonight could include the fact that UAH played like a team on a mission, like a team with something to prove to this league... Oh wait, you wanted positives from Notre Dame's perspective...

Kyle Palmieri has a wicked shot from down low. Wicked. He did a good impression of Alexander Ovechkin also, although he didn't score on his move. Riley Sheahan has some good speed. Both scored the first in hopefully a long line of career goals here.

Other than that, I'm hard-pressed to find anything else good. The defense left Brad Phillips out to dry several times, including on UAH's 2nd goal. There wasn't a guy in white in front of Phillips while the puck skittered away from him, but there was a guy in blue waiting to pounce. Phillips also needs to learn how to control the rebounds, especially if his defense continues to go AWOL.

I think this team is guilty of looking past "lesser" teams. I hate that. I said I was nervous going into this weekend and my anxiety played out on the ice.

Lastly, I almost have to place this loss squarely on the shoulders of the captain. Taking a penalty with 2:44 to go in a tie game (when you are driving toward the net with the puck) is dumb. Coming out of the box after your teammates killed off that penalty to take another one with 26 seconds left is even dumber.

But, alas, this is a team sport. 19 guys lost that game.

Let's get 'em tomorrow night.

Comment

Sort of a shocking way to kick off a season, especially considering the shocking way the last one ended.

I don't know that I've EVER seen a captain take two penalties in the final 3 minutes of a tied game. I think the second one was a horse-5h!t call, but why put yourself in that position anyway? Notre Dame dominated the first period of the game from a territorial standpoint, but the final 40 minutes was a picture perfect example of how talent can be an unenviable burden if one doesn't back it up with the requisite effort.

My biggest fear coming into the game and this whole season was that Notre Dame would be so anxious to prove last years NCAA flameout was an illussion and they would be over-the-top pumped every game to show they are among the best teams in college hockey, and in the process burn themselves out. Not a problem last night for 2/3 of that game.

It took the Irish nearly 13 full minutes of the third period to finally sustain a forecheck, and then they did it just once more the entire rest of the game. Little traffic in front of the net, a lot of individual creativity on offense that netted nothing, and a lackadaisical approach to defense for most of the third period led to this loss. Odd, but those are all fundamental aspects of the game that are largely under your own control. Not the usual shortcomings of a Jeff Jackson coached team.

Oh well, its one loss in a long season where no one wins them all anymore. Fortunately another shortcoming you don't see in a Jeff Jackson team is a failure to grasp the opportunity of the teachable moment. Last night was just such a moment. Hopefully the teaching began about 90 seconds after the postgame handshake.

Comment

Y'all have a lot of talent. I'm confident that Coach Jackson will pull it together quickly. Hopefully not tonight, though!

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I was wondering if Coach Jackson might put Mike Johnson in goal tonight, since it's early, there'll be lots of line juggling this month, etc. But Mr. JJfP thought, with good reason, that Brad Phillips will be back in net tonight. Phillips needs to be given some latitude to build his confidence. Next week we'll probably see Johnson in net one of the nights.

I would like to see Kevin Nugent the younger and Sam Calabrese in the lineup tonight. This is the time of year to have that little look-see.

I like the Thang-Sheahan-Maday line and the "K line" (or at least the hard C) of Ridderwall-Deeth-Palmieri. Having said that, those lines will probably be completely different tonight...

The previous 3 seasons, ND has gone .500 in its first 2 games, and those seasons turned out okay . So I wouldn't mind at all if they continue the trend in these 1st 2 games...

BTW, gfmorris, where's my Sun Drop?!

Comment

Working...
                                X