PDA

View Full Version : The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
... And before anyone wants to use the excuse of injury one more time, did you catch Jackson's postgame comment following game? When he speaks of recuperating values and a lot of things needing to change, including perhaps some personnel, is there much doubt that something was wrong this season beyond injury?

The only beef I have with that is: Fat lotta good it does now.

I've been thinking a lot about Ian Cole and Joe Lavin lately. One has to be thinking, "I came back and stuck it out another year...for this?" And the other has to be thinking, "What on earth have I gotten myself into?"

Next year's leaders better make some phone calls to all those leaders (with and without letters on their sweaters) that Coach Jackson has had the previous 4 years and ask for some much needed advice.

IrishHockeyFan
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I've been thinking a lot about Ian Cole and Joe Lavin lately. One has to be thinking, "I came back and stuck it out another year...for this?" And the other has to be thinking, "What on earth have I gotten myself into?"

And one has to wonder also, will Cole come back again? He was this close (fingers an inch apart) to leaving after last season ended. The Blues apparently believe since he was so close to leaving before that if they want him to this time around he will. I have to believe 2 concussions this year, to go along with a couple previous ones, will play strongly into his decision.

Next year's leaders better make some phone calls to all those leaders (with and without letters on their sweaters) that Coach Jackson has had the previous 4 years and ask for some much needed advice.

Leadership is up for grabs right now, to put it mildly. I also agree that a few guys from the last couple of teams may have some valuable words to offer. If I'm coach Jackson I'm certainly not to proud to seek them out and offer them the floor with a few guys who they may be identifying as leaders. I don't know that anyone left on the team has earned the right yet to an C or A on their sweater.

One thing I certainly believe is if there is one guy connected to this program who feels they gave their all this year, don't let the door hit you on the way out. For once, the university is offering all the support and the players may have been the component that dropped the ball. Ground breaking ceremonies for a new arena in April are the final piece of the puzzle and I think starting right now it is time for the players to commit to making the final season in our original home a memorable one.

Its odd that just as eager and quick it happened to have both leaders and followers buy into Jackson's concepts and philosophy 5 years ago, this year it was just as quickly abandoned. If you would have told me that the players I saw standing around and letting UAH score a game winning goal with 5 seconds to play was an indication of the hockey we would see -- more or less -- all year, I would have had you committed. Until the 4 minute mark of the game last night I was never quite sure (insanely angry posting aside) that what I was seeing was really happening. I kept thinking that given one more game, one more opportunity, they would start playing what I thought was Notre Dame hockey. Must have been a looooong ride home from Columbus last night/this morning. For all of us.

bronconick
03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
At least Notre Dame has some company among the bottom 4 in the CCHA. None of us are seeing either the second round or even got the chance to see our teams push it to a third game. The first round of the CCHA playoffs pretty much stunk. Home teams won all 8 games, by the combined score of 43-8. Some awful hockey the last two nights. Only the Friday ND-OSU game was decided by fewer than 3 goals. 4 were decided by 4 or more goals. All series winners scored at least 7 more goals than the losing teams. Real compelling hockey folks.

Welcome back to the basement guys, beer's in the same place it was when you left........wait. Why are you back? And hell, I'm more excited about Western hockey than I've been in a few years. A 3rd game would have just screwed Alaska, and it's fun to see the smaller guys with a shot at the NCAA's.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
And one has to wonder also, will Cole come back again?
For reasons which shall be kept to myself, I believe he's gone. I also believe that after being talked into coming back for this season, had he been a captain, he may have bought into the team thing more wholeheartedly. He would have felt more needed. I think he would have made a good leader. And I know he could've led even without that letter (see: Brock Sheahan and Bryan D'Arcy). But we can play this "what if..." game all off-season. It won't change the poo that was the play of this team from October to last night.

Leadership is up for grabs right now, to put it mildly.
I don't know that anyone left on the team has earned the right yet to an C or A on their sweater.

I will go out on a lonely limb and state that I think Joe Lavin could be a good choice to wear a letter. He came in the middle of a mediocre season and produced some much needed offense (although it still didn't help much). He was vocal on the ice. He hasn't had the success that some of the players left have had, so his head may not be as swelled (although, one has to believe that those swelled heads should have been deflated on the bus ride home last night). But what do I know? I didn't like Ryan Thang as the C and look how he turned out. Oh, wait...

It sucks mulling the off-season thread on March 7th.

IrishHockeyFan
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice honor for Mike Johnson being named to the CCHA All Rookie team. Personally I have been singing Riley Sheahan's praises all year as I think he's been -- far and away -- our standout freshman, but obviously there are quite a few first year players who scored plenty this season and its understandable he slipped down to honorable mention. Still that's decent recognition and here's to more good things to come from both of them in the coming season.

I think more than individual accolades, a simple statement from Maize over on WCH (http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2010/3/7/1362150/ccha-playoffs) says all that needs to be said and will be (hopefully) my last post on the 2009/2010 season:

I guess there's not much to say about the first round except: 1.I can't believe Notre Dame's season is already over, and that a team that talented ended up being so bad.

joecct
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but the minute you invited you know who to give a commencement address, your athletic teams have taken a turn for the worse.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but the minute you invited you know who to give a commencement address, your athletic teams have taken a turn for the worse.

:D

While I'm never one to shy away from a good conspiracy theory and I would love to find someone to blame for this past season, I don't think even Obama could take the rap for this. And you can't really count a Weis-coached football team. And both the men's and women's bball teams are doing pretty good. So...no, they just stunk. All on their own.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Boy does this feel anti-climactic. For the first time in several years, Notre Dame hockey doesn't matter after the first week of March.

I want to wish the outgoing seniors good luck in their endeavors.

Ryan Thang finished his career with 115 points. He'll be in the ND record book under the 50/50 club and the century club. He's now in the top spot for GWG with 14. He also moved up to 5th in PPG's.

Kevin Deeth also joins Thang in the century club and he took over the top spot for games played with 164. Given his size, he was a great agitator who could surprise you with awesome hits. Who would've thought this little chirper was so tough?

Kyle Lawson tied Brock Sheahan for the number 2 spot for games played. He was an extremely consistent scorer in his career here averaging better than a half a point a game here. He'll move up to 8th place in points by a defenseman with 90.

Brett Blatchford had his best year for G's this season, doubling his freshman output. 2 of his goals this season were PPG's, his first ever. He'll make it to the games played listing in the record book, finishing his career with 153, tied for 9th.

Dan Kissel leaves here one of the hardest working players in recent memory. His biggest goal in his career illustrates that point. Skating the length of the ice to blast a shortie past UNH's goalie in the regionals. He leaves here with 57 points in 140 games.

Christiaan Minella finishes his career here having registered 33 points in 113 games. His best goal was the extra insurance against Michigan in last year's CCHA tourney final. It was a pretty wrister.

Tom O'Brien leaves here having played in 7 games. That's amazing given who he backed up and that he was usually the 3rd string goalie. Most 3rd string goalies don't even open the door to the bench.

While this season ended on a sour note, much sooner than anyone would've wanted, these outgoing seniors provided some great memories in their 4 years here. They knew great success here and spoiled all of us in the stands with high expectations and hopes for the future.

Irishhockey
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
With the season being over, how long before we hear who has signed contracts?

IrishHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
This (http://www.nd.edu/~univarch/documents/HockeyArenaConstruction.pdf) might be of interest to some of you.

IrishHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
With the season being over, how long before we hear who has signed contracts?

I think it really depends on the player and the team who either signed him or is showing interest in the case of free agents. Last season Hanson was signed within hours of the season ending and was playing in Toronto not much after that. A couple of other guys were also playing within the week. But Erik Condra didn't sign with Ottawa until the end of summer and Ian Cole was courted by St. Louis until he finally decided to stay in mid-July. If anyone was bound for the NHL as a bit of a bonus for signing (like Hanson last year) they'll go quickly. After this season I think there won't be a lot of interest in any of these guys getting that quick look-see. Perhaps Ian Cole (if he leaves, I'm not implying anything) would be one to go quickly.

observer85
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I think it really depends on the player and the team who either signed him or is showing interest in the case of free agents. Last season Hanson was signed within hours of the season ending and was playing in Toronto not much after that. A couple of other guys were also playing within the week. But Erik Condra didn't sign with Ottawa until the end of summer and Ian Cole was courted by St. Louis until he finally decided to stay in mid-July. If anyone was bound for the NHL as a bit of a bonus for signing (like Hanson last year) they'll go quickly. After this season I think there won't be a lot of interest in any of these guys getting that quick look-see. Perhaps Ian Cole (if he leaves, I'm not implying anything) would be one to go quickly.

Kyle Lawson signed a 2 year entry level deal with Carolina today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/

observer85
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I know of some of the players on this team from their junior years, etc. I am still stunned how a talented group like this could have fallen so far. I read this thread most of the year so I have some understanding of the role that leadership, injuries, etc. played. I thought it is interesting to see the 1st posts of this thread...the optimistic tune...I am hopeful it will be again in the fall of 2010. Kind of like baseball season, at the beginning, every new season each team is 0-0...and there is hope.

Aah. The first full day of autumn. The leaves are just starting to change. You can find candy corn for sale again. My #20 Christian Hanson Leafs jersey was shipped today. (smiley. hearts.)

The Drop the Puck thingy is 2 weeks away. The first game is a mere 3 days after that. I'm cautiously quite optimistic about this season.

ND returns 8 of its top 10 scorers. Also returning are the top G scorer (Calle Ridderwall), the top guy for assists (Kevin Deeth), the top 2 PPG scorers (Ridderwall and Billy Maday), and the top 4 guys in +/-. Deeth (95 points) and Ryan Thang (92 points) will join the century club, maybe even by the end of the first month of the season. It is also quite possible for Kyle Lawson (68), Brett Blatchford (54), Ben Ryan (53) and even Dan Kissel (49) and Ian Cole (46) to reach "3/4 of a century."

I believe only 2 of us listed potentials for the upcoming season. IHF's pick for surprise stud was Ben Ryan, for impact-laden freshman was Kyle Palmieri and captains were Lawson, Thang, Teddy Ruth and Ryan. My pick for surprise stud was Ryan Guentzel, for impact frosh was Riley Sheahan and captains were Lawson, Thang, Cole and Kissel.

I know there are a few more posters out there who can take educated guesses. Hell, uneducated guesses are fine.

Here's to a fantastic season, boys. As the Irish say, "Adh mór ort." :)

With a talented team returning and a great group of freshmen coming in, there is plenty of reason to be excited. The above post showed all the scoring returning, but Im excited to have 5 of 6 defenseman back and all have tremendous talent and upside. If the Irish get solid goaltending, they have a great chance to take full advantage of what could be a bus trip NCAA Tournament run to Fort Wayne and Detroit.

IrishHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Kyle Lawson signed a 2 year entry level deal with Carolina today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/

Beat me to it. There's also this (http://www.albanyriverrats.com/news/latest/index.html?article_id=2068) about that. Also I believe he will be taking part in the Skills stuff at the Frozen Four.

Freddie
03-10-2010, 09:12 PM
If he WAS going to be in those skill contests at FF, he WON'T be now that he has signed a pro contract.

IrishHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
If he WAS going to be in those skill contests at FF, he WON'T be now that he has signed a pro contract.

I believe the requirement is just that the participants have no eligibility left. At any rate he's still listed among the players on the NCAAs release today. His contract with Carolina technically is for next year and the year after that, if that makes any difference.

IrishHockeyFan
03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Not sure if the season thread needed bumping back to the top, but Brett Blatchford (http://mlntherawfeed.squarespace.com/hockey-transactions/2010/3/13/brett-blatchford-signs-with-chicago-wolves.html) signed an AHL contract and made his debut with the Chicago Wolves yesterday. Congrats and good luck.