PDA

View Full Version : The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27

Hockeybuckeye
03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
12 goals scored by UM and ND over the weekend by 11 different players (Caporusso scored 2 Saturday). Seems like a lot of different goal scorers.

A note about tickets for the games this weekend, played at the old OSU Ice Rink. Ohio State is selling them first to season ticket holders. After Monday others can purchase them. With SRO tickets the place holds 1200.

Even with SRO tickets 1200 may be stretching it. It seats closer to 900 and there really isn't anywhere for SRO and it's doubtful the fire marshall would allow that much capacity. I would welcome our Notre Dame counterparts to the series if tickets are available. I will say sadly due to the performance of our team season ticket sales are down dramatically and tickets at the door were available last year but how many I can't recall. I mentioned on a different thread that the only reason were are in the old building is OSU has a long term contract to hold the state wrestling championships in our home arena, the Schott, so you see where hockey ranks here compared to the almighty dollar. Red Berenson used to complain OSU should be kicked out of the CCHA back when it was our home ice as the building is substandard to our conference. Back then it wasn't even regulation length and the ceiling is so low you'll hit it clearing the puck if you're not careful.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
What I remember from the OSU Ice Rink is old time hockey. I went to the games in ND's last season before the program was dropped and saw the greatest college hockey brawl ever. Coach Pooley and his twin were juniors, IIRC. I remember OSU had a player by the last name of Gruhl. We made fun of him. It only took half a period before the benches cleared. The game was delayed for about a half hour after 4 players were thrown out and more than an hour and a half of penalties in the first period alone were called. ND's John Higgins was one of the fighters ejected. IIRC also, Brent Chapman had to be held in the penalty box (they were "open air") as he wanted to get back out there. OSU was in the running for the regular season title and had quite a few players in addition to the Pooleys who were fantastic, but just missed out on the title that weekend, partly due to ND's victory that night.

Good times!

ND is led by Calle Ridderwall, still. He's got 26 points, with 10 of those being PPG's, still. I wish he'd get passed that mark already. He's also ND's leading G scorer with 18. He's followed by Ryan Thang and Kyle Lawson, each with 22 points and Billy Maday with 21 to round out ND's players with at least 20 points. OSU is led by Zac Dalpe. He's got 37 points, 7 of which are PPG's. He's also their leading G scorer with 19. The others with at least 20 points are Peter Boyd (29), John Albert (26) and Sergio Somma (25).

Mike Johnson is 10-11-5 with a save % of .915 and a GA of 2.45. OSU was splitting time in net between Cal Heeter and Dustin Carlson, but Carlson has gotten all the starts the last several weekends. He's 3-10-4 with a save % of .914 and a GA of 2.75.

ND averages 2.42 GF/game while giving up 2.53 GA/game. Eesh. OSU scores 2.68 GF/game, but gives up 3.15 GA/game. ND's best O comes in the 2nd period, while their worst D is in the 3rd. OSU's scoring is pretty evenly distributed, but they give up more goals as the game wears on.

ND's PP is still respectable at 18.1%. Their PK is also good at 87%. They have scored 38 PPG's and given up only 22 PPG's. They have scored 4 shorties, but given up 3 shorties. OSU is 16.5% on the PP while their PK struggles at 75%. They've registered only 28 PPG's for, but given up a whopping 46 PPG's against. They've scored 2 shorties while also giving up 2.

I like ND's chances if they win Friday. Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?!

Hockeybuckeye
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Seat sales limited to 800 per game. No standing room only. Unknown how many seats are left.

Third Family Member
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
What I remember from the OSU Ice Rink is old time hockey. I went to the games in ND's last season before the program was dropped and saw the greatest college hockey brawl ever. Coach Pooley and his twin were juniors, IIRC. I remember OSU had a player by the last name of Gruhl. We made fun of him. It only took half a period before the benches cleared. The game was delayed for about a half hour after 4 players were thrown out and more than an hour and a half of penalties in the first period alone were called. ND's John Higgins was one of the fighters ejected. IIRC also, Brent Chapman had to be held in the penalty box (they were "open air") as he wanted to get back out there. OSU was in the running for the regular season title and had quite a few players in addition to the Pooleys who were fantastic, but just missed out on the title that weekend, partly due to ND's victory that night.

Good times!

Is that the game when Mr. Doman came and got us and made us sit with everyone else?

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Is that the game when Mr. Doman came and got us and made us sit with everyone else?

Yes. I doubt anything would've happened to us standing over by the ND bench, but he felt the need to look after our safety. :rolleyes:

IrishHockeyFan
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Ben Ryan was skating in practice this week but is still out for this weekend. Got to be a good sign though should the season continue beyond this weekend.

OSU hasn't sold out either game yet, which is kind of sad. Makes me wonder if some of the name brand schools without hockey (Penn State, Navy or Syracuse always seem to come up when the topic is brought forth) see things like that and think "no way is hockey worth it"? If that's the case, OSU needs to get with it and start getting some push for their program. And before anyone from the other side jumps on me remember I am a 4 plus decade fan, and as long as Notre Dame has had a hockey team, they could at least draw decently for playoff games. Since Jackson arrived (and we are still building the program and reputation) NDs home playoff games have averaged a little more than 2400 people. In the last three season it has been closer to 2700, and since most of the games have been sellouts, a larger venue would likely have netted larger crowds. Especially following the great regular seasons in 07 and 09.

Chances are the games at the old place will be full (both pretty much were last season) but even with that huge on campus building it just has the appearance that hockey is an afterthought. Just like it was around here for far too long.

SwedishJustice22
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Is this game going to be on tv anywhere or just radio?

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Is this game going to be on tv anywhere or just radio?

Apparently, OSU is streaming the video free this weekend. Go to their website and sign on to watch.

SwedishJustice22
03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Apparently, OSU is streaming the video free this weekend. Go to their website and sign on to watch.

Thank you ma'am. Great job this season with the recaps I must say. The fellow season ticket holders around me were a lot more educated thanks to you.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Green jerseys? Really?! Doesn't work for the football team. Why would one think it would work for the hockey team?

While I want to say "Yay" for Richard Ryan scoring his first collegiate goal...to tie it up in a playoff game, no less, I don't feel much like dishing out the kudos. No offense to him, but Richard Ryan? Really?! He's the guy who brings his "A" game. Not the goalie? Not the defense? Not the special teams? Not the seniors?

Dropping the gloves in a practice? With your own teammates? Really?! If this (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1059526) is where their "A" game is, just get the season over with.

IrishHockeyFan
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I guess its been 2296 days since Michigan beat Ohio State in football. If you are from Columbus and didn't know the score from last nights Ohio State hockey game and wanted to check out the local paper for that information, the fact that its been over 6 years since the Buckeyes lost to that team up north would be readily apparent. You may have to thumb through it a few times before you find the hidden 150 word article telling you that OSU won their hockey game. I know the South Bend Tribune often goes overboard in their coverage of the Notre Dame football program, but at least in today's paper (both online and print edition) there is a fairly comprehensive story of the game, boxscore summary included.

Last night was a microcosmic example of Notre Dame hockey 2009/2010. We looked lost, slow, and outworked one period, completely controlled the action, tempo and territory the next. Appear to outplay an opponent for 20 minute, yet come away losing the period. Another 2-man advantage with 4 or 5 shots, but no goal. Another game decided in the third period. Another night where the goalie makes some "how'd he do that?" saves and then lets in three goals and each time someone on either side of you says "man, I bet he'd like that one back."

One thing about this group of players is certain. They have authored the worst collection of third periods I have EVER seen. In 37 contests this year they have won the game in the third period (or OT) twice. The third period has sure cost them a whole bunch of wins, but only the 3rd MSU game and the first BGSU game had a third period or later game winning goal. Hell, you can throw the shootouts in there as well. Last year 3 for 3 in the skills competition, this year 2-5. Too bad hockey isn't a 40 minute game. No that's not fair to the other team. Too bad we don't have more 60 minute players.

HckyDoc
03-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Last night was a microcosmic example of Notre Dame hockey 2009/2010. We looked lost, slow, and outworked one period, completely controlled the action, tempo and territory the next. Appear to outplay an opponent for 20 minute, yet come away losing the period. Another 2-man advantage with 4 or 5 shots, but no goal. Another game decided in the third period. Another night where the goalie makes some "how'd he do that?" saves and then lets in three goals and each time someone on either side of you says "man, I bet he'd like that one back."...Too bad hockey isn't a 40 minute game. No that's not fair to the other team. Too bad we don't have more 60 minute players.

The same could be said about OSU this year. I caught the first period of the game on the internet and it looked slow and plodding. Sorry I missed the last two. This still doesn't change my mind on coveting your asst. coach and former Buckeye... ;)

mcfarljd
03-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Need some hockey fix for this weekend, where was that link? Hoping to watch tonights game, but the only thing I see is the one where you have to register with them for like 7 bucks a month to watch it.

Arpod
03-06-2010, 03:53 PM
OSU hasn't sold out either game yet, which is kind of sad... ...OSU needs to get with it and start getting some push for their program. And before anyone from the other side jumps on me remember I am a 4 plus decade fan, and as long as Notre Dame has had a hockey team, they could at least draw decently for playoff games. Chances are the games at the old place will be full (both pretty much were last season) but even with that huge on campus building it just has the appearance that hockey is an afterthought. Just like it was around here for far too long.

IHF, Buckeye fans have been suffering this lack of commitment by the school for decades. No need to heckle or scold us. Hope springs eternal that change will happen, and happen soon. As has been said numerous time on this forum, put a decent coaching staff in place and a consistently winning team on the ice and fans will make a commitment to the team.

Arpod
03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Need some hockey fix for this weekend, where was that link? Hoping to watch tonights game, but the only thing I see is the one where you have to register with them for like 7 bucks a month to watch it.

The link, below, has the schedule of video events for OSU. If tonight's feed is the same as last nights, when the game starts one only has to click on the 'watch now' link. I hope it works for you. Last night the feed was really slow through the first period (might have been issues at my end) but was essentially real-time after that.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=87733&SPID=10406&db_oem_id=17300

IrishHockeyFan
03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
IHF, Buckeye fans have been suffering this lack of commitment by the school for decades. No need to heckle or scold us. Hope springs eternal that change will happen, and happen soon. As has been said numerous time on this forum, put a decent coaching staff in place and a consistently winning team on the ice and fans will make a commitment to the team.

I am not heckling or scolding anyone. I am speaking the truth. There is no reason that OSU CAN'T put a winning commitment forth. But they have yet to do so, and yet to show any evidence it is happening soon. And continually letting high school wrestling (really? High school wrestling???) evict the team from their home digs for a playoff series is hardly a sign that commitment is coming. And I'm not so sure the fans ARE waiting to come out of the woodwork. People in Columbus thought it was "cute" that the team was going to play "old time hockey" in the Ice Rink. Even if it meant that potentially 2000 fewer fans would see it than otherwise would have had the chance. This attitude doesn't help grow our sport. Notre Dame subway alums are football fans first second and third. But most know of a decent athletic tradition going beyond Notre Dame stadium to at least some minimal degree. I have yet to meet an OSU fan (other than those posting on a HOCKEY specific website) that cares a whit about anything other than football. Even when their basketball team challenges for a Big Ten title, or their hockey team plays well all year and makes a frozen four. A campus with 4 times as many students in a community with 5 times as many people -- that can allegedly support an NHL franchise -- should NEVER allow a playoff game to be moved to a building like the OSU Ice Rink.

To the OSU hockey fans I offer an early congrats on a series win. Good luck beyond this weekend.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I just realized that the salt on this open wound of a game is that Kevin Deeth just surpassed Mark Van Guilder for the Iron Man award. Mark Van Guilder. A player who played 100% in every game I ever saw him play with the possible exception of one game in Big Rapids when he took 2 penalties and ND got shut out. He played 99% that night.

God, how I miss leadership like that. God, how this team misses leadership like that.

Things happen for a reason. I can't wait to understand the reason for this season.

hockey fan ND
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
This senior class showed its real class this year NO LEADERSHIP at all. Hopefully someone will step it up this off season and try to pull this team back together. Seem like hockey season just started to soon to be done.

WeAreNDHockey
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Here's how I felt watching the game tonight (and much of the year, really):
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Here's how the team appeared to play in this game tonight (and much of the year, really):
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Here's what the coaching staff hopefully was doing to them on the bus ride home from Columbus tonight (and maybe what wasn't happening enough all year):
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

IrishHockeyFan
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
At least Notre Dame has some company among the bottom 4 in the CCHA. None of us are seeing either the second round or even got the chance to see our teams push it to a third game. The first round of the CCHA playoffs pretty much stunk. Home teams won all 8 games, by the combined score of 43-8. Some awful hockey the last two nights. Only the Friday ND-OSU game was decided by fewer than 3 goals. 4 were decided by 4 or more goals. All series winners scored at least 7 more goals than the losing teams. Real compelling hockey folks. In contrast the ECAC has three series going to a third game and the road teams have outscored the home guys 25-19. Only Princeton failed to show up (their team AND their fans. At least the OSU fans scooped up virtually all of the AVAILABLE tickets).

As for Notre Dame... what a shame that this group of players let the opportunities that were placed in front of them go to waste. As much as the recent teams could be defined by their character and leadership, this collection seems more to be remembered for the lack of those same things. And before anyone wants to use the excuse of injury one more time, did you catch Jackson's postgame comment following game? When he speaks of recuperating values and a lot of things needing to change, including perhaps some personnel, is there much doubt that something was wrong this season beyond injury?