Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

I just don't understand that if headshots are the prescribed bailiwick of the refs, why did this one go unnoticed? After the tape is reviewed, will Brown and Sanborn be suspended? If not, what's to stop other goons from doing the same and taking their chances that they may not be caught?

Odd that FSU and Miami are playing each other this weekend...the two series that depleted ND's ranks.

Someone needs to smudge some smoldering sage in the North Dome.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      Odd that if this is the case (and Jackson has made the statement in multiple articles) UND.com still lists him as day-to-day. His comments following Ringel's injury were also tame compared to what he's been saying of late, but he obviously didn't know the extent of the injury or the lingering effects Eric would be experiencing.
      As someone who has unfortunately gotten first hand experience with a couple of concussions, it can be hard to tell if the symptoms will clear up or not. I have a feeling that's the case here and they're just waiting to see if Eric improves or not. He could start making leaps and bounds and be right as rain fairly quickly, or he may just cycle in "post-concussion" syndrome forever. I take it from what I have read that Eric has not improved on schedule, thus the concern. I am also concerned that the Tribune article states that he sustained head injuries on back-to-back nights. The brain is not a very forgiving thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        I just don't understand that if headshots are the prescribed bailiwick of the refs, why did this one go unnoticed? After the tape is reviewed, will Brown and Sanborn be suspended? If not, what's to stop other goons from doing the same and taking their chances that they may not be caught?
        I think it starts first with the players. It seems as if the idea that is all the rage throughout hockey is that the players have lost a lot of respect for each other over the last generation or so. Guys seem much more willing to go after each others heads now.

Or so we're led to believe. I actually think a lot of it is bigger and stronger players, moving much more quickly due to lighter equipment and leaps and bounds in skating through the advent of "skating coaches" and the like leading to a whole lot more energy delivered in every hit. Our heads and helmet technology have not yet evolved enough to absorb the additional punishment.

The powers that be believe that there is only so much 2 referees or a handful of leagues can do when 40 guys go after each others heads constantly and a half dozen coaches don't preach otherwise. So they make a rule, give it a half-hearted effort at enforcement, and we shake our heads when another player has his career ended with persistent headaches. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to questioning the necessity of all the 5-minute majors we've seen in the last few years for CFB. I believe I have found fault with every one I have seen this year until the Ruth hit. We all know we don't want them to legislate hitting and checking out of the game. But what is the answer? More 5 minute majors? More game DQs instead of game MCs? More oversight from the leagues to look at game tape when referees miss calls?

For the players sake, we need better post concussion treatment, as well as more effective screening to make sure players don't take the ice until they are reasonably healed. And more needs to be done with the head protection. While the helmets of the 21st century are certainly more protective than those even worn in the 1990s the amount of protection offered is being outpaced by the ability to deliver punishment to heads. It would be nice if we could find a way to partner all of the sports, both professional and amateur, where head gear is required to research together how best to provide for adequate protection. Auto racing, football, hockey, baseball and other sports all require some form of helmet and working together more progress could be made more than likely than everyone approaching this separately.

Until then, I think we're just going to get used to seeing more and more athletes miss more and more time from concussions, and post concussion effects. At least we are seeing a more robust effort on the part of most everyone involved to treat concussion and other brain injuries with a whole lot more seriousness than in days gone by.

Comment

...i say we keep playing like we did in the 3rd period tonight and we'll be ok!
          Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Did you guys hear that?! That was the sound of 21 guys breathing a huge sigh of relief. And none was bigger than Ryan Thang's.

I have nothing but good things to say about tonight's effort. Thang with 2 goals, one the ugly game winner on the PP that saw him skate back to the bench with a sheepish grin as he tried to hide his face. (Not to worry...his 2nd goal was a fantastic backhander that sailed over the goalie's shoulder.) Nick Larson with 2 goals and an assist. Dan Kissel with an extremely pretty shortie on a blast from the face off circle. 100% on the PK. A PPG. 46 shots. 5 unanswered goals. Great forechecking. Passes that connected. Solid backchecking. Mike Johnson doing his Jordan Pearce pokecheck...twice. I can think of at least one play that each player had that was great. More importantly, they played with energy and a sense of urgency. They played like, well, Notre Dame.

No time like the present to establish this as the routine, boys.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Although it appears we can't practice for an afternoon or play a game anymore without losing someone for the rest of the season, at least we know they can still play a little of what we've come to see as Notre Dame hockey.

Everything looked familiar. Faceoffs, special teams, establishing a forecheck, energy, coaching, everything that has been absent for too many games this year made a much needed appearance. Four seniors in particular played their most effective games of the season. Dan Kissel, Ryan Thang, Kyle Lawson, and Brett Blatchford all had the look of players who said "enough is enough" and played smart and focused hockey. I LOVE smart and focused hockey.

But it is only one game. We've seen games like this a couple of times this season, complete efforts and nice wins. But to really be Notre Dame hockey, the boys have to find a way to translate 60 minutes into a run. They have to find a way to carry it over night after night. The hole they've dug is still deep and last night was simply a single rung on the ladder.

Comment

I thought Johnson played well too, now as stated by so many can ND build on that and keep elevating their game?
                “You know what we were doing? We were on the phone calling Jon Corzine — literally. I literally picked up the phone and called Jon Corzine, and said, ‘Jon, what do you think we should do?'" ~Joe Biden~

Comment

In addition to being a complete game, that was also a nice triumph of character last night. After kicking MSU's *** up and down the ice in the first period and having a one-goal deficit to show for it, they came out a little slow in the second and gave up a kind of flukey goal. Given the way the season is going, ND could have folded up their tents at that point, but instead they persevered, started hitting some corners with their shots, and got a great (and well-deserved) result.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Does anyone know the extent of Christiaan Minella's injury? He was limping off the ice & then on crutches after the game!
                    Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                      Does anyone know the extent of Christiaan Minella's injury? He was limping off the ice & then on crutches after the game!
                      There was an aside in the SBT article on the game that Minella may be done for the season.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                        There was an aside in the SBT article on the game that Minella may be done for the season.
                        The injury blurb at the bottom of today's hockey column on Irish Illustrated states that the injury could end his career. I really hope that's not the case. Regardless, the injury sounds bad. This team can't catch a break in the injury department this year (no pun intended)
                        http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1040472

Comment

It's odd because while watching the replay of the game today the camera had a great shot of the check that forced Minella to backhand the puck to a linemate (quite adeptly, I might add). There was no knee on knee or cheap shot and he backed into the boards...kinda hard, but not anything that would've made me look twice. Talk about a fluky, freak injury... Add to that Teddy Ruth with the "no go" tonight. StillaLeafsFan said it best...they can't buy a break. If this keeps up, Brian Brooke may need to dress...and skate out!

Comment

Well, I can't really complain about the SO loss because it doesn't matter outside of the league. It's still a tie, and a well-fought tie for ND. I wish they could've held on to win, but to go down 3-0 and walk out of there with a point after scoring 4 unanswered (i.e. not giving up) goals bodes well. That and the fact that Ryan Thang got 4 goals in 2 games this weekend gives me a little hope.

There's still a lot of work to do, boys, starting up north.

Comment

The shootout is mildly tolerable when your team wins. When it loses I find it virtually unwatchable. Double standard, I know.

Giving up a CCHA point here or there probably won't end up mattering a whole lot anyway, since the team has probably backed itself into a corner of the NCAA bubble that will see them in the NCAA tourney only through a CCHA playoff championship. It would take a pretty remarkable run to the finish of the season otherwise. Who knows, though.

This was a pretty productive weekend at any rate. To be able to overcome a 3-0 hole, on the road, in a place where Notre Dame doesn't find much success showed the team has found a higher gear than what they had been cruising in for most of the season. The potential for that remarkable finish exists.

Comment

We're going to need to both win out the regular season and do something (not sure how much) in the CCHA tournament.

Every regular season result short of a win will increase how much we need to do in the tournament.

At this stage, we might almost be better off if we finish around 5th or 6th, hopefully get a good enough first round opponent to pad our RPI, though we would then also need to beat a decent team on the road in the second round.

Comment

Working...
                                X