Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    #1Coach Jackson needs to strip the captains of their letters, please. Give the letters to Dan Kissel, Ian Cole and Calle Ridderwall. Give them to nobody. The current captains cannot lead this team. They've proven that fact time and again this season.

#2 Fourth, I feel bad for Joe Lavin. He's got to be thinking, "What have I jumped into?"

#3Lastly, Ian Cole , I now believe he will not stay for his senior year. Why would he?

Huh. I actually feel better after spewing this vitriol.
    Point #1 AGREE!!!! And I have seen this team but 3 times in person and 2-3 times on the internet feed. No leadership on the ice.

Point #2 Lavin will be fine, next year is another story, it has to be better than this year- or so I hope...UGH....

#3 More so, Cole has to be thinking "I stayed around for this? A team that refuses to shoot the puck? A team with an offensive scheme that rivals that of the of an old school neutral zone trap team while having the fire power that far exceeds the potential they are playing to? This and I could have been in STL earning $$ getting my degree in the summer??! Half of my team would rather be out hitting the bars or with their girls." He will be gone as soon as the playoff series between CCHA #10 and #7 takes place and ND loses in a sweep.

JJFP- I do blame this partially on coaching. The offense this team runs with the talent they have is a joke. What did FSU do EVERY time they came down the ice? SHOOT THE PUCK and look for the rebound! What does ND do? ummm hold into the corner hope to cycle the puck until it ends up in a perpetual drill with no shot and an odd man break the other way. Hell if you dont have the talent, dump the GD puck on net, crash it and let the chips fall where they may. If they were smart the coaches would have stepped in somewhere in the first third of this season and changed that.

Also, this team lack endurance, power and will. The first two go to their training and not wanting it bad enough, the third goes to their attitude of expecting to turn it on when they want to. They should realize that THAT attitude is back in Grand Rapids and it will (and has) gotten them no where.

Comment

I don't remember Ruth's DQ being announced in the arena, did I just miss it? Also, I'm fairly certain they did not announce the matching two-plus-ten on Lawson and Wysopal.

Originally posted by Irishhockey View Post
      JJFP- I do blame this partially on coaching. The offense this team runs with the talent they have is a joke. What did FSU do EVERY time they came down the ice? SHOOT THE PUCK and look for the rebound! What does ND do? ummm hold into the corner hope to cycle the puck until it ends up in a perpetual drill with no shot and an odd man break the other way. Hell if you dont have the talent, dump the GD puck on net, crash it and let the chips fall where they may. If they were smart the coaches would have stepped in somewhere in the first third of this season and changed that.
      Our shot total was just fine. We had issues getting quality shots off, but with the exception of the first five-on-three power play and very late in the game, I didn't think we had issues with shot selection.

Also, this team lack endurance, power and will. The first two go to their training and not wanting it bad enough, the third goes to their attitude of expecting to turn it on when they want to. They should realize that THAT attitude is back in Grand Rapids and it will (and has) gotten them no where.
      I don't know about wanting it bad enough or thinking they can turn it on at will, but something is clearly amiss with their conditioning. They got outskated by Ferris late in the second and in the third, and that's inexcusable. I don't know what can be done to pull them out of their funk, but the only forwards who seemed to be consistent in making things happen all game were Ridderwall and Sheahan (and, I'm not sure coincidentally, they seemed to be getting a lot of ice time late in the game).
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
        I don't remember Ruth's DQ being announced in the arena, did I just miss it? Also, I'm fairly certain they did not announce the matching two-plus-ten on Lawson and Wysopal.
        They were all announced.

Originally posted by Craig P.
        ...but something is clearly amiss with their conditioning. They got outskated by Ferris late in the second and in the third, and that's inexcusable.
        I can't blame this on Tony Rolinski. I still blame the captains. Same "sexiest man under 6-ft." Same Gug. Same goal. Different leaders.

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan
        Another thing to ponder is whether or not anyone will miss games due to their actions in the third. Ruth will miss Friday's game from the NCAAs sanctions, but will Jackson sit him further?
        I doubt it.
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          I can't blame this on Tony Rolinski. I still blame the captains. Same "sexiest man under 6-ft." Same Gug. Same goal. Different leaders.
          Just to be clear, it's something that I'm putting on the players. It's not a recurring problem, which suggests that some guys didn't put in the same level of work in the offseason that they have in the past.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Just to be clear, it's something that I'm putting on the players. It's not a recurring problem, which suggests that some guys didn't put in the same level of work in the offseason that they have in the past.
            Agree wholeheartedly this is on the players. If guys don't put in the work in the offseason, I place about 90% of the blame on that on the upperclass (especially senior) leadership. While we all know coaches will tend to get around NCAA limits on contact and "coaching" any organized fashion outside of when they are sanctioned to do so to a certain extent, most of the offseason "voluntary" stuff is led by the guys who were or are going to be the Cs and As.

I can't prove it, but I strongly believe that this is where the team can find the root cause of their woes. There is simply no other logical explanation for how they are losing so many games late to teams that are obviously less talented. No knock on Ferris State, but in two tight games there is no way they have the talent or coaching to outscore Notre Dame 4-0 at the Joyce in two third periods. But they did have the jump, endurance and work ethic to do so. And no matter what else you did in the offseason, the best you can usually hope for DURING the season is to maintain your strength and endurance. That's why I feel if conditioning is the major problem, it won't go away until they can focus all of their energy on that, and not on game planning or working on hockey specifics.

Talent is a heavy burden. It looks like it takes more work to carry it around than these guys put in. Let that be a lesson to the 20 or so who will be back next season.

Comment

In October, I would've bet anyone serious bank that MSU and ND would be in about 3rd and 9th place by now, but I would've said ND was in the former and MSU the latter.

When ND tied and then beat MSU in November, I thought, "Finally...finally they've turned the corner. 60 minutes of solid hockey to follow up the tie at Munn." That seems so long ago.

Looking at point production (since ND is seemingly sorely lacking in O), Calle Ridderwall, Billy Maday, Ben Ryan and Kyle Lawson (most of the returning top scorers) are basically as productive as last season within a few percentage points. However, Dan Kissel, Kevin Deeth, Ryan Thang and Ian Cole are waaay off the mark from last season. No returning scorer is markedly above pace from last season.

Mike Johnson has been a pretty great fill-in for Jordan Pearce. Save % is virtually the same and GA was nearly as good as Pearce's until this past weekend.

The team GA is about 1/2 a goal worse than last season, which isn't too bad, but the GF is more than a goal worse. The team +/- last season was a stellar +155. This season is a rancid -80. It's nice to score on the PP, but you're a man up...that shouldn't be that impressive. It's the 5 X 5 that shows what you're made of. Last season the goal differential was +1.65. This season it's zero.

The PK is virtually the same as last season. The PP is enough below last season that it rests in 26th spot right now in the country. However, the combined special teams # is still 108.9, which is fantastic.

That's it. There are the differences (and not-so-differences) from last season to now.

Looking ahead to another big weekend that could be our last gasp to make (or break) this season, MSU averages 3.29 G/game. ND is scoring 2.21 G/game. MSU gives up 2.17 a game while ND gives up (again) 2.21.

MSU and ND are nearly alike in special teams. MSU's PP sits at 29th in the nation at 18.9%, while ND's is 19.4%. MSU's PK is 15th at 84.9%, while ND's is still great, sitting at 2nd in the nation at 89.5%.

Guys to light the lamp from MSU include Corey Tropp (who could burn out the bulbs in the lamp) with 32 points in 24 games. He leads the team in goals (17) and PPG's (6). Derek Grant (MSU's top freshman with 22 points) and Andrew Rowe (21) are also pretty hot. For ND, Maday (who actually is scoring a hair more prolifically than last season) leads the team with 19 points in 24 games. He's followed by Ridderwall (18 points and leading the team in goals with 12 and PPG's with 8) and Ryan and Deeth (15 each). ND's top freshman is Riley Sheahan with 14 points.

MSU's Drew Palmisano is 11-5-3 with a GA of 1.96 and a save % of .930. ND's Johnson is 6-6-3 with a GA of 2.04 and a save % of .928.

It's now or getting close to never, boys. Every noble work is at first impossible.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

The Central Collegiate Hockey Association today announced that freshman forward Travis Ouellette of Ferris State University has been suspended for one additional game, under the league’s supplemental discipline process, as the result of an incident that occurred in a game at Notre Dame on Jan. 10.

The action was taken by the league after a review of an incident that occurred near the 9:41 mark of the third period and resulted in the player receiving major and disqualification penalties for checking from behind. A disqualification penalty is accompanied by a one-game suspension.

Ouellette is ineligible to play in Ferris State’s next two games, Jan. 15-16, against Miami. He is eligible to return to the lineup on Jan. 22.

-----------------
                And the defenseman Case gets nothing for his cheap shot hit on Mayday. What a shock.

Comment

I'm a little disappointed that the CCHA felt it was necessary to add only one game to Ouellette's suspension. I've seen the hit on video and it looks even worse than it did live and in person. He took multiple strides before the contact and if there was ever "intent to injure" that hit clearly fits. I suppose as a freshman he has yet to establish any kind of reputation as a cheap player (at least in the CCHA) or perhaps the punishment would have been a little more severe. Also an odd coincidence that earlier in the season he received a major and a game misconduct for a facemasking penalty, the same thing Ruth was tossed for in their scrum.

Comment

Riley Sheahan's play disguises the fact the kid just turned 18 last month. He came to Notre Dame as something that is becoming less common than bowl trips for the Irish football team, a freshman NCAA hockey player who is the same age as nearly all of his classmates. Similar to what I saw in Sean Lorenz last season, Riley plays with a maturity that matches and exceeds many players who are years older. This is a nice write-up in Hockey's Future

Comment

Something tells me the season needs to get over with sooner than later. Now we've lost Billy Maday for the better part of the rest of the season.

Comment

Can we run the tape of that hit by the league again?

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a shot at Ferris in the CCHA tournament (though it might turn into a bloodbath).

Comment

%$@*

What is up with all this bad karma?

Comment

http://www.southbendtribune.com/arti...31/1021/Sports
                            A full write-up on the Irish injury situation for anyone interested. It's a bad scene. Here's hoping these boys get well (especially Ringel, whose hockey playing days may be over).

Thanks to IndyRacers at NDN for posting the link.

Comment

Can we run the tape of that hit by the league again?

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a shot at Ferris in the CCHA tournament (though it might turn into a bloodbath).
                              Agree on both fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by StillaLeafsFan View Post
                                Here's hoping these boys get well (especially Ringel, whose hockey playing days may be over).
                                Odd that if this is the case (and Jackson has made the statement in multiple articles) UND.com still lists him as day-to-day. His comments following Ringel's injury were also tame compared to what he's been saying of late, but he obviously didn't know the extent of the injury or the lingering effects Eric would be experiencing. I think his frustration with CCHA officiating has been growing season by season since coming back into the CCHA. His first couple of seasons I don't recall as much as a sideways glance at an official, but the last couple of years he seems much more disturbed by the actions of a number of on-ice officials, culminating last Sunday in as obvious a display of anger as I've seen in a Notre Dame coach in a while. Unfortunately this is a problem that probably goes beyond just a group of referees who may or may not be competent enough to police the game at this level.

Comment

Working...
                                X