Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

I assume that Santa heard me
    Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
    and my faith never dies

Comment

Pleased with the outcome and effort, but the execution was still a little clunky, understandably. Much of the credit tonight goes two ways. One, Mike Johnson, obviously. He bounced back with an excellent effort tonight, in a game where the goalie needed to come up big. He really did come up big. And two, the coaching staff. Coaches are very quick to deflect credit and absorb blame, but these guys made obvious use of the day off and this team was prepared to win tonight. These guys attacked Michigan with a gameplan very different from the ordinary due to the absence of too many key players, and while it didn't work at all Friday, the extra time made it work much better today. Hats off to Jackson and his staff for a job very well done.

Comment

I agree with both you guys. At times they had a hard time controlling the puck and there was more play for ND between the two blue lines than I would like to see but it was about an 80% complete effort. This is what they needed going into the break, a big win against our most hated of rivals. I know its only one game but I now have a good feeling about the rest of the season for some reason, unlike I did yesterday. Oh how hockey can make you go through mood swings right?

So any of you going to Hoffman Estates? I am still thinking about it, but seeming that there are gonna be three top teams along with Notre Dame there, it might just be worth it
        TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
          So any of you going to Hoffman Estates?
          Yes.
          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

How much are the tickets running for chicago?
            Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

They run anywhere from $14-50 for a weekend pass depending on where you want to sit. Not sure what single game tickets are.

While we are on the subject are their any multi-day passes for the CCHA Tourney at the Joe? I was looking to buy some yesterday (just in case) but all I saw was single day passes. Is it just me or are they selling them somewhere else, or am I just totally wrong and these didnt even exsist
              TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                any multi-day passes for the CCHA Tourney at the Joe?
                They exist. The University may have some for season ticket holders and the CCHA/JLA put them on sale also (That's the route I've always gone.) However, I don't think either organization/venue puts packages on sale this early. I would also caution you to not count chickens... I'm superstitious that way...

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Apparently, the shortage of defensemen led Jackson to bust out the Swedish Torpedo system for this weekend, which would explain some of the confusion about which players were at forward and which players were at defense. Technically, I would imagine that only the main three defensemen were playing defense, and the forwards we thought were in that position were actually at the "halfback" position.

It's discussed in the South Bend Tribune article for today, along with some injury updates on the defensemen.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

A little something about the architects and general contractor selected for the new hockey arena.

Credit to Boston Domer on for posting the link recently on NDNation. I don't post there but thought it needed some play over here as well.

Comment

so who is this joe lavin guy?

we need to talk about something. Just b/c they're on a break doesn't mean we can't have discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                        so who is this joe lavin guy?

we need to talk about something. Just b/c they're on a break doesn't mean we can't have discussions.
                        Joe Lavin played at Providence College for a season and a half, and is a product of the US Under 18 team, where it seems he's already been a teammate of about half of the current Irish hockey team (yes, that's a bit of an exaggeration). For whatever reasons he decided PC wasn't for him and chose to transfer to Notre Dame. NCAA transfer rules dictate he must sit out a season and since he played through mid-year at PC last season, he needed to wait until mid-year to play here. In the interim he played in the USHL. I believe his reputation is as a solid stay-at-home type of defenseman, makes few mistakes, and one who isn't going to score a lot (in fact he has yet to score an NCAA goal, although he did net a dozen in 50 or so USHL games).

Comment

probably a needless bit of news, but just bumping this back to the front page for a while to note that Kyle Palmieri did make the IIHF team for the World Juniors. Curious to see what he'll look like playing on what amounts to an all-star team. Also curious to see what Notre Dame will look like preparing to play some games knowing he'll be out of the lineup. Perhaps it will be a welcome break to all concerned.

It looks like a lot of the middle of the country is trying to make moving about difficult, so safe travels to all who are celebrating the holidays somewhere other than home. Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Comment

Good read about former Irish skater Victor Oreskovich. I was particularly hard on him here during his time in South Bend, and to say he failed to live up to expectations then may be an understatement. To say he is only just living up to them now may be as well.

Well into middle age I seem to have forgotten I didn't know just where to go when I was 18 or 19, and it led me away from college for a while too. This is a guy who probably had his head screwed on straight the whole time, as he apparently didn't need to have people shooting at him to determine the course he should follow We all need to chart our own paths. It's good to see his path has him realizing his dreams.

Comment

After reading the piece on Oreskovich, maybe I shouldn't mention the blurb in the latest issue of The Hockey News on Erik Condra... Suffice it to say, it was not something that would fly if he were still at ND...

After amassing a $100+ bar bill in NYC and having the pub band I follow there pick up said hefty tab, I'm hoping that I won't desire any alcohol in Chicago, as I have no one to pick up the tab but myself. Should ND play as I've been hoping, no liquor will be required. Should they play as I've witnessed, I may need a small loan...

ND's first opponent is Colgate this weekend. The Raiders come to Chicago with a 7-6-4 record behind a GF of 3.41 and a GA of 3.53/game. They have the most potent offense of the bunch, but also the most porous defense. ND is 8-8-4 by averaging 2.05 GF and 1.95 GA/game. They have the weakest offense, but the strongest defense. NoDak is 9-6-3 and scores 3.22 GF and gives up 2.17 GA/game. Neither the best, nor the worst of the teams. Niagara is 3-10-2 while averaging 2.73 GF and 3.47 GA/game. Again, not the best or the worst.

Colgate's PP is respectable at 19%, but their PK is less than upstanding at 79.3%. ND's PP is middling at 17.2%, but their PK leads the teams with a stellar 90.6%. The Fighting Sioux own the best PP of this weekend's teams at a killer 23.6%, while their PK is a decent 86.5%. Niagara's special teams are slightly worse than the others. Their PP is 15.6%, while their PK is 79.1%.

Colgate is led by Austin Smith, who leads all players this weekend with 24 points. He's not the only point-per-game player the Raiders have. They also employ David McIntyre (19) and Brian Day (17). Day leads the team with 5 PPG's. ND is led by Billy Maday (16), Calle Ridderwall (15) and Ben Ryan (14). Ridderwall leads all players with 7 PPG's. NoDak (who is missing several major players due to injury, like ND, and one due to the WJ's, like ND) is led by Evan Trupp (16), Chris VandeVelde (15) and Jason Gregoire (14). VandeVelde and Gregoire each lead the team with 3 PPG's. The Purple Eagles are led by Chris Moran (18), Ryan Olidis (15) and Egor Mironov (10). Moran leads them with 3 PPG's.

Who will be in net for several of the teams is the question of the year. Colgate, ND and Niagara have used lots of goalies. I assume Charles Long (5-2-2, 3.11 GA, .900 save %) will be in net for Colgate. Mike Johnson (5-5-2, 1.70 GA, .940 save %, which leads the nation) will be in net for ND. Brad Eidsness (8-5-2, 2.24 GA, .909 save %) will start for NoDak. Niagara's goalie situation will be more questionable. I'm guessing they will start Adam Avramenko (2-3-2, 3.28 GA, .898 save %), but they might go with Chris Noonan (1-4-0, 3.00 GA, .908 save %).

Records notwithstanding, the teams are more evenly matched than one would guess.

It's always the right time to do the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X