Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Originally posted by masquedman View Post
    Looks like Johnson has solidified a starting spot...now if they could get some scoring from someone other than Ridderwall??? What exactly did Paleiri do last night? He had his troubles in Jr's, heres hoping Coach Jackson can help him mature.
    Palmieri has been a head-scratcher for me so far, but I'm willing to give him a small pass in light of the fact he's a true freshman. But then so is Riley Sheahan (who is in fact even younger than Palmieri) and he has played with more maturity so far. But Palmieri took 3 penalties last night, and although the first was probably questionable, the last was purely boneheaded. 2 minutes left, down a goal, and he's all over the goalie like he's Reichard's underwear. Not wise, considering how much stuff happened around Reichard and there were already a couple of earlier calls involving him. Palmieri had a reputation coming here as a complete playmaker and I have yet to see much of that. A lot of individual flash, but he has been slow to learn that that nets you very little as you climb the ladder in terms of the level of competitiveness in the leagues in which you compete. He is certainly skilled enough to beat a single player on the ice, maybe even two. But you can't count on beating the third, then beating a goalie too. There is a reason the rules say you normally get to skate with 4 other guys dressed like you. I know we've hashed over the captain and his role and performance so far, but I know what I'D do in this circumstance.

Comment

For the first time in many years, I walked away from an Irish hockey game. I knew ND wouldn't score last night, but figured they might muster a goal against Knapp as his numbers are not as good as Reichard's. But getting shut out...again...while allowing 4? ND never even showed up for this one. From the opening face off to the moment I walked away to finish decorating my tree, Miami completely dominated this game. This was easily the worst game ND has played in an extremely long time. Eesh.

I hope that Cole and Palmieri not dressing says something. (But, then again, I thought not dressing Phillips for the weekend might send a message last night...) And the rumor that Cole is out with concussion-like symptoms seems odd. I watched the game last night. At no point did I notice a hit on Cole, let alone one that would rattle his head...

Coach Jackson has to be going batty trying to straighten this team out.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Listening to the play-by-play from Darin Pritchett, he said that Ian Cole was hit very hard from behind on the play leading up to the shortie scored by Miami on Friday, explaining why Cole played poorly to defend that goal and why he was not dressed tonight. I am hoping that everyone heals quickly because as of now we are short Lorenz, Calabrese, and Cole on defense. No bueno.

Comment

I guess I don't know one way or another about Cole, but FWIW I don't buy a lot of the injury news sports teams, especially hockey teams, dish out, and this one smells a little more than most. Cole loafs to the play, MU scores on it, he appears to sit the rest of the period, but returns to skate beyond that last night. This seems to be a rather cavalier attitude with his health, if that's how it all played out. His play was obviously off last night, and if that can be attributed to some hit he took, I'm shocked. But I'm pretty sure noone on the ND medical team takes that kind of an attitude with the well being of any player. And especially in light of all the recent and much more cautious approach to returning to play, post concussion. Why would the medical staff put him out there to skate around woozily after he supposedly took a hit that led to concussion like symptoms? He shows those kinds of effects, he sits in the locker room the rest of the game, at least.

Comment

I trsust that you, the most loyal fans and faithful of Notre Dame hockey and the University of Notre Dame, understand the inherent dishonesty of the Notre Dame hockey program and the university.

I learn from knowledgeable posters on this board, and it is good to know that all reports of injuries to players who have done something to infuriate the fans on this board are either out-and-out lies or suspect (to the most loyal fans).

Don't worry about Cole being hurt, give it to him with both barrels for that lousy play.

I do see your point that Jackson protects his players from you, the loyal and faithful fans, by making up injuries. I hope he lets the parents of the players know this is his necessary tact when he recruits them so the parents won't ever worry.

Carry on, fans, isn't Cole lazy and a bum?

Comment

Sorriest weekend of Notre Dame hockey since Jackson's first year here. This sweep in many ways is even more frustrating than the one last year on home ice to the same team. That one was much earlier, in fact the first CCHA series of the year, and in neither game did it seem Notre Dame just WASN'T going to score, even thought they netted just two on that weekend. This time around there was a feeling by the mid-point of both games that it just wasn't going to happen.

Last night, once again, the third period comes and goes and Notre Dame is thoroughly outplayed, dominated, hell, even pushed around. That was a tired team out there in the third, and I know playing shorthanded never helps, but on a number of occasions I saw this team shut down opponents last year while skating 5 defensemen for the final period or 2 periods.

People --including Jackson -- have compared the scoring troubles this year to the similar stretch in 2007-2008 when until the post-season rolled around we saw a drought in goals like we see now. But that wasn't the same thing I'm seeing. This team is losing games late. This team is tired. This team has constant breakdowns in discipline. In other words, this team is NOT what I have come to expect out of a Notre Dame hockey team.

Now, as for the dress/did not dress list. I'll start by saying that without a doubt a couple of guys I know for a fact ARE hurt, and hurt enough to be unable to play. But shouldn't any person who has actually SEEN them play and knows more about the game than its played on ice find it odd that for the most part, the guys who we'd normally see dressed always seem to find themselves in the stands following some of the worst performances we've seen out of them in a Notre Dame sweater? How convenient that the presumed number one goalie is pulled during arguably the worst game he's played here and without question the worst this season and the following weekend doesn't even dress. Or injuries that no one seems to be able to pinpoint, for sure, I'll add, puts a couple of upperclassmen into dress clothes for at least one game. Or following yet another game of incredibly selfish play, including a fairly unforgivable penalty at probably the most inopportune time, a highly touted freshman sits out one for the first time. Now we may be right, we may be wrong, but all of these guys did not sit SIMPLY due to injury. You play hurt in hockey. Playing their high-octane best, these guys are all more valuable at 75% than most of their replacements at 100%. And that's absolutely no knock on anyone else, some guys are just better players than others. That Wayne Gretzky was a better hockey player than Dave Semenko is neither in dispute, or any kind of a knock on Semenko. I've seen this team play virtually every game they've played in the last few years. The few I haven't been at, I've seen on TV. Seen 'em practice dozens and dozens of times. Now you don't want me behind the bench in place of anyone who is there now, but I feel confident in saying I know what I'm seeing, and what I'm talking about. The others who are around this forum who also seem to follow this team closely probably also have a clue as to whats up and whats down with Notre Dame hockey. My point? Grantfan is still an unmitigated idiot who only wants to pop into posts whenever it senses a little turmoil, and rail away on some topic it knows little or nothing about. So now it joins an inglorious list of other idiots who have fallen into the pit of nothingness I like to call irrelevance, known around here as the "ignore poster list." I don't know why I didn't do it a couple of weeks ago. I request all of my fellow posters to do the same, or at the very least don't quote this loser so I don't have to see his drivel there. Oh and before you disappear into the ether Grantloser, tell your mom I said "Hi."

Comment

Hello from a very sodden Ireland, all you Irish fans. Tried to get the stream of the game in Dublin, but the broadband connection was truly non existent, so hopefully I did not jinx the team due to non support. We've actually had a mix of total downpours, lashing, bucketing rain, where you hope the ark is being rebuilt, to some very nice sunny days. Today, fortunately was the latter, as I was outdoors all day at the horse races. No, I did not make my fortune, but at least I walked away with nearly half of my original stake still in my pocket. Outside of the year that I backed the no hoper who ran his heart out for me, because I liked his name, this was my best outing at the Irish race tracks. Good thing I have a day job, because as a gambler, I'd be skint in no time.

JJfP, I got you a packet of flower seeds that I am reasonably sure you won't have heard of, but then I've said that every year, haven't I. Corn Cockle is what this packet is called. About all I can say beyond that is that they look pretty and they claim to be zoned to grow in our climes, unlike those poached egg plant seeds.

So far, the search for dead people has been tedious, to say the least. Priests and curates from the 19th century missed all the classes on readable handwriting. It took me 12 hours to go through one parish register that was only 29 years in length. And we've come across one poor woman, whose real name was Avice Goodwin who had been alternately recorded in a civil birth index as Alice, in the church christening register as Avice, and in the marriage index as Doria. She got transcribed as Archie in the census.

Well, I shall close as this is really a hockey thread, and actually because it is near to 1:00 am here and having spent all day out on the race track, I am near to falling asleep in front of the fireplace. See you all on Sunday next.
                Last edited by Third Family Member; 12-06-2009, 06:50 PM.
                Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                Courage to change the things I can,
                And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

IHF, it may not be possible, but can you please try to write a longer "paragraph"?

It was brilliant in its length.

Comment

Is that a rhetorical question or do you want an answer?

Comment

<plonk!>
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                        For the first time in many years, I walked away from an Irish hockey game. I knew ND wouldn't score last night, but figured they might muster a goal against Knapp as his numbers are not as good as Reichard's. But getting shut out...again...while allowing 4? ND never even showed up for this one. From the opening face off to the moment I walked away to finish decorating my tree, Miami completely dominated this game. This was easily the worst game ND has played in an extremely long time. Eesh.

I hope that Cole and Palmieri not dressing says something. (But, then again, I thought not dressing Phillips for the weekend might send a message last night...) And the rumor that Cole is out with concussion-like symptoms seems odd. I watched the game last night. At no point did I notice a hit on Cole, let alone one that would rattle his head...

Coach Jackson has to be going batty trying to straighten this team out.
                        Hey guys was just reading and wanted to chime in a little.

Keep your head up everyone, Yes it wasn't a good weekend for you but to be honest a lot of it had to do with Miami's play. It was Miami's best effort of the year this weekend and you saw why they are #1. Notre Dame will be fine this year and will figure it out they have too much talent.

As for the comment that Notre Dame looked tired, I don't know about the forwards but Mike Johnson was. He is the real deal and played spectacular this weekend and is a bright spot for your program for sure. That is Miami's game to roll 4 lines and wear teams down.

I know it is a little frustrating right now, and we all have gone through it. Take a look at what we went through to start the second half losing to Army and Clarkson . There is a brighter spot and I feel confident in saying that the Irish will be fine and things will get better.

Keep your heads up guys, and good luck the rest of the way!
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

While I don't subscribe to the idea that the polls mean much of anything other than for entertainment purposes, I do think it is worth noting that for the first time since about half way through Jackson's second year here I'm guessing, Notre Dame has fallen out of the USA Today top-15. More importantly, were the tournament to begin today, the only people from Notre Dame attending with any work to do in Fort Wayne would likely be Tim Conner and Tom Nevala. While it isn't time to panic, it is time for this team to start answering some questions about where they want to be come March. The best way to answer them is with a long winning streak.

Comment

Along those lines, ND is 23rd in the KRACH and Pairwise and they've dropped out of INCH's Power Rankings for the first time in probably 4 years. But like IHF said, those mean nothing pre-Christmas. Now... post-Valentine's Day...

That said, I have more confidence in ND righting the ship and going to Ft. Wayne as a team than I do that I will get the best gift a teacher can get...a snow day tomorrow. I think Dick Addis was more accurate with his dry erase board and big black marker than today's radar gurus... But I digress.

ND and Michigan are eerily similar this season, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. Both are .500 overall. Both are scoring less than 3 goals/game. Both are in the teens in PP %. Both have killer PK's. Both have 3 players in the teens in points scored. Both are negative in the team +/-.

These games could be really good. Or really ugly.

ND is averaging just 2.11 GF, but giving up a miserly 1.94 GA. Michigan scores 2.88 goals/game, while giving up 2.38/game. ND's PP is okay at 18%, while Michigan's is also only okay at 17%. ND averages (even after last weekend...ugh...) still a PPG/game. Michigan averages just under a PPG/game. ND's PK is 90.7%, while Michigan's is 91.7%.

ND's D wears down a bit throughout the game, giving up the most in the 3rd, but still nearly evenly divides their GA's per period. Michigan's D is schizophrenic, giving up 79% of their GA's during the 1st and the 3rd.

ND is led by Billy Maday (15 points) followed by a Swede who has 14 points, 6 of which are PPG's. Ben Ryan finishes the trio of point scorers in the teens with 13 points. Michigan is led by a Swede with 15 points, 3 of which are PPG's, followed by Chris Brown (also with 15) and Matt Rust (14) to round out their trio in the teens.

Mike Johnson is ND's top goalie. Finally. He's 4-4-2 with a stellar 1.6 GA and an equally stellar .940 save %. Michigan's netminder of record is Bryan Hogan. He's 8-8-0 with a GA of 2.32 and a save % of .902.

Ezra 10:4 reads, "Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it."
                            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

ND's D wears down a bit throughout the game, giving up the most in the 3rd, but still nearly evenly divides their GA's per period. Michigan's D is schizophrenic, giving up 79% of their GA's during the 1st and the 3rd.

Really wears down... Even more so without Sean Lorenz, who will be out for weeks, Sam Calabrese, who may not play again this year, and with Eric Ringal and Ian Cole still shaking off the effects of last Friday's game (no comment on what exactly those "effects" are). I wonder if Riley Sheahan picked up any tips on playing defense from his second cousin. He's got the build to play defense. We can plug some holes up front. Any more holes on the blueline and it won't be a line anymore, just a series of separated dots. If there was ever a time for these guys to rediscover their offense, now would be a good time for it.

Comment

[QUOTE=IrishHockeyFan;4510108]Really wears down... Even more so without Sean Lorenz, who will be out for weeks, Sam Calabrese, who may not play again this year, and with Eric Ringal and Ian Cole still shaking off the effects of last Friday's game (no comment on what exactly those "effects" are). QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on the injury situation? I'm curious where you're getting the intel

Comment

Working...
                                X