Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

I have to excuse myself from the list as I'm too prone to spew vitriol in print when things don't go right! Besides, I'd wanna get paid.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Go Irish Beat Buckeyes!
      Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

We need to see a serious upgrade in on-ice communication this weekend. I expect to, but, really, we need to see one. 6 games against a variety of teams and styles is enough time to make serious headway in working out the kinks of the early going. OSU has struggled with their consistency this year just like the Irish. So far neither team has looked like people expected, probably. I believe Mike Johnson will start the game Saturday afternoon, but that is mostly speculation on my part. I haven't got a handle yet on Jackson's plans with his netminders. It seems like he doesn't even know since he's seen (and mentioned) some inconsitency in the way the two presumed 1 and 2 have both played and practiced.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          I have to excuse myself from the list as I'm too prone to spew vitriol in print when things don't go right! Besides, I'd wanna get paid.
          I was seriously wondering if I can work the nd game pictures for USCHO....
          Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
          and my faith never dies

Comment

Originally posted by yuenight_for_IRISHICER View Post
            They'd love photos, but they'd really love recaps.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Here's my recap: Kyle Palmieri is a stud. That check that laid out the OSU guy in front of his own bench rocked. Dan Kissel is a stud. I like when ND players score the GWG. Calle Ridderwall is a stud. Or, more accurately, the PP stud. (smiley. heart.) Mike Johnson is a stud. Played the puck well. Made some nice saves. Got reallllly lucky with about 35 seconds left. Riley Sheahan is a minor stud. He had some nice moves with the puck and appears to be hard to move from in front of the net. Kyle Lawson and Kevin Deeth are co-studs. They did some nice work to get Billy Maday the puck for the empty net insurance policy.

Kudos to Mr. JJfP for having some hilarious jeers regarding those ugly OSU road jerseys.

The refs? What can I say? It's the bewitching season and they were downright scary.

Here's to a league sweep to start the season.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                Here's to a league sweep to start the season.
                I 2nd that...
                Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Yue, last I checked, you were in Rome. Notre Dame is in Indiana. Isn't that kind of a long weekend commute??
                  Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                  Courage to change the things I can,
                  And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                    Yue, last I checked, you were in Rome. Notre Dame is in Indiana. Isn't that kind of a long weekend commute??
                    If it's nothing but a long commute, I'd take it and go back to watch the game!! financially.... hmmmmmm

I'm still in Rome and struggling to figure out how to fall a sleep at 3/4am after a ND hockey game.. It sucs to have to watch the game in front of my computer and try not to make loud noise, which, during the first game, drew a French guy out of his room and shout at me

And I need help to find a way to at least listen to some games with an ipod touch!! Last friday as for the BC game I was in a forest hut in the arctic circle but successfully picked up a wifi connection... but I could not launch CBS gamecenter, which freaked me out...

Oh and about the picture stuff, I mean, can I do it next year?
                    Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
                    and my faith never dies

Comment

From start to finish, I think that was the best effort by the Irish this year. Yes, the BU game looks better from the standpoint of the final score and the fact they are the defending champs, but from the drop of the puck, Notre Dame looked to be on their game a little more completely. We saw much better skating, and better puck control than in the opening few weekends.

A number of Irish players had their best games so far. Ian Cole played a particularly smart game in both ends of the rink. He finally let loose with a few of his blueline cannons. We need to see more of that. He picked his spots well in the offensive zone, and played his spots just as well in the defensive zone. Billy Maday played a particularly gutsy third period, and even without the empty netter that put the game away it may have been his best period all year. And I continue to be impressed with Mike Johnson, although not with my prognosticating on when he would play. Of course I did say he'd get the start this afternoon, and with the way he's played, I see no reason that shouldn't be the case. He played impressively last night, saving his best for the best OSU could throw at him. Once again, he was most impressive in the third, when OSU had the man-advantage and was firing on all cylinders looking for the go-ahead or tying scores in the third.

We also saw the CCHA at its *almost* worst, in terms of officiating. (for the worst check out the details of the BGSU/UNO game). I don't know how in the world some of these guys are allowed to referee in a major college hockey game. And it isn't because the majority of the bad calls tonight went against Notre Dame. There were a couple of particularly bad ones against OSU. But neither referee last night was anywhere near close to being in control of the game and both coaches dictated to a certain extent how this game was being called. This is becoming epidemic in the CCHA and needs to be addressed. Often when the officials are clueless like this the game degenerates into a series of scrums, cheap shots, and an endless parade into the box. Last night it just seemed as if players and coaches from both teams were just bewildered as to what would be a penalty and what wouldn't. Two guys would come together and it was almost as if the referee would have them play a game of rock/paper/scissors to see who would skate to the box. Each team was assessed penalties (questionable ones IMO) immediately following tirades by the opposite coach towards one or the other official. I'm betting tonight will be no better.

One thing that will be better tonight will be OSU. It appears they play much better in their second games of the weekend. Notre Dame will need to play better as well if they expect to take all the points.

Comment

It sucs to have to watch the game in front of my computer and try not to make loud noise, which, during the first game, drew a French guy out of his room and shout at me
                        Dang...First drinking, then raising a ruckus... What next from you? Fisticuffs?!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          We also saw the CCHA at its *almost* worst, in terms of officiating. (for the worst check out the details of the BGSU/UNO game). I don't know how in the world some of these guys are allowed to referee in a major college hockey game. And it isn't because the majority of the bad calls tonight went against Notre Dame. There were a couple of particularly bad ones against OSU. But neither referee last night was anywhere near close to being in control of the game and both coaches dictated to a certain extent how this game was being called. This is becoming epidemic in the CCHA and needs to be addressed. Often when the officials are clueless like this the game degenerates into a series of scrums, cheap shots, and an endless parade into the box. Last night it just seemed as if players and coaches from both teams were just bewildered as to what would be a penalty and what wouldn't. Two guys would come together and it was almost as if the referee would have them play a game of rock/paper/scissors to see who would skate to the box. Each team was assessed penalties (questionable ones IMO) immediately following tirades by the opposite coach towards one or the other official. I'm betting tonight will be no better.

Mind you, I learned hockey in the Herb Brooks era, so my opinions don't count for much in this modern day world. But. I remember my college coach, Amo Bessone, telling me that a good ref knows how to maintain control of a game while letting the players play. He always said that you could tell a game was refereed well when the number of penalties would decrease in each period, and it was because that ref had established control of the game right from the get go. Of course, this is a coach who had no problem at all climbing up on the boards to scream at a ref should the need arise.

That said, could I pass along another Amo Bessone hint to our power play units. No more than 3 passes between shots on goal. You aren't going to score a goal playing catch with the puck. If we have to tolerate a parade to the penalty box, at least let's see some activity on the power play other than that game of catch.
                          Last edited by Third Family Member; 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM.
                          Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                          Courage to change the things I can,
                          And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Good one Cindy...................Anybody want tickets for tonights game...they are free.
                            Don

Comment

Originally posted by Sec2, Row 13, Seats 5,6,7 View Post
                              Good one Cindy...................Anybody want tickets for tonights game...they are free.
                              Don
                              Don't tell me you are going trick-or-treating?!

Comment

pretty much sums up this team so far. I don't know if the odd start time had anything to do with it, or what, but once again, the things biting this team in the behind so many times this year were showing their teeth again. In each of their losses just doing some of the little things they've done right nearly every game since Jackson arrived would have won any of the games they did not win. Take care of the puck, communicate, compete, be strong along the boards, move the puck with more efficiency in the attack zone, you name it.

Its getting a little frustrating. 8 games worth of inconsistency is definitely a trend.

Comment

Working...
                                X