X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    All I do know is Mike Lee is hyped to the max.
    I've seen Mike Lee play probably 25-30 games from the Pee-Wee level up through high school. He was fantastic at all levels. The kid was outstanding, that's all there is to it. Of course, that doesn't guarantee his success at the college level, but he might be the most purely talented goaltender I've ever seen at each level I saw him play.

But i'm no expert, either.

Comment

Mike Lee will be fine. Absolutely have to get him moving side-to-side, and even then he stops an awful lot of them.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Mike Lee is going to be terrible this year. I guarantee it. Because he is my goalie in a fantasy league.
        I agree mainly cause St. cloud is going to be pretty bad this year in front of him. If he gives up 3 goals in a game it is almost a lock for a loss.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
          Mike Lee has been special every step of the way so far. On a mighty big stage, he was pretty darn good at the recent WJC camp.
          Frazee was wicked good every step of the way, including world junior tournaments. That didn't turn out so hot.

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
          Well it's my opinion take it for what it's worth. I'm not going to label myself as "the expert"--I'll let other guys do that.
          A non-expert can make a proper observation and I'm open to any informed opinion. Unfortunately for your summation, the fact is Kangas didn't live his F year off of making the spectacular save but rather by being in position. Therefore, your 'expert' opinion notwithstanding, his supposed demise cannot be attributed to what you surmised.
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Bobby freakin' Orre. It is physically impossible if you are a) over three feet tall and b) in the correct position to score a short side goal--and that's a fact.
            I really hope that the e on Orr is a typo...

A good shot from a sniper can score short side even if the goaltender's in the correct position.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              his supposed demise cannot be attributed to what you surmised.
              That's poetic genius my friend.

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              How about starting with first NCAA win?
              St. Cloud could be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season. If the chemistry is there they could be a strong contender.

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              A good shot from a sniper can score short side even if the goaltender's in the correct position.
              That's Ryan Lasch's favorite place to camp and he's a little over three feet tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Mike Lee is going to be terrible this year. I guarantee it. Because he is my goalie in a fantasy league.
                And you ****ed over Hano too. Thanks ******!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I agree mainly cause St. cloud is going to be pretty bad this year in front of him. If he gives up 3 goals in a game it is almost a lock for a loss.
                Yeah... since SCSU doesn't have ANY goalscorers, clearly offense is going to be their downfall this year.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Correct.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I can guarantee you I could place a plywood goaltender cut out, place 100 pucks five feet in from the dot, and Jordan Schroeder would score 0 goals on the short side. Its simple geometry, its just not there. He could put it in the net through the five hole, on the weak side, a number of places, but 0 out of 100 would score on the short side.

The Number 1 lesson a goalie is taught--put your stake in the ground, so to speak, and make the player react to what you give him. Number 2 lesson a goaltender has, take away the short side on hard angles. Shooters, instinctively like the short side and it's the first thing they'll look for. 9 times out of 10 players looks to the short side first and if it's not there he'll try and go for something else (across the body, dish it through the slot, around the net, etc). Sniper's score all the time on hard angles, and that's what they get paid for. Show me a goal from a hard angle that scores on the short side and I'll show you

1) A goalie trying to do too much.

2) A goalie cheating because someone's on the weak side

3) A player making the goalie react and not vice-versa (trying to take away the five hole, down on his knees, but not sucking to the pipe, etc).

Comment

It's a good thing they don't use plywood goalie cutouts in real games, then.

Comment

I can guarantee you I could place a plywood goaltender cut out, place 100 pucks five feet in from the dot, and Jordan Schroeder would score 0 goals on the short side. Its simple geometry, its just not there. He could put it in the net through the five hole, on the weak side, a number of places, but 0 out of 100 would score on the short side.
                        Were goalies boards this might hold true.

Yeah, in a perfect world a short angle shot should never get by but this isn’t a perfect world. Take for instance the goal scored by that one little CC sniper in the WCHA championship game against the Gophers about 6 years ago. Short side, top shelf, very, very little open space, wicked shot, goal.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

That would works out swell in theory were goalies to have straight edges and hug the pipe top to bottom in every short angle situation, but alas they don’t. Take for instance the goal scored by that one little CC sniper in the WCHA championship game against the Gophers about 6 years ago. Short side, top shelf, goal.

I understand your point is that proper positioning wins out over a good shot, but playing goalie isn’t an exact science. Pucks change direction, players are constantly in motion, lighting is different, ice surfaces are different, goalies will over/under compensate, fatigue plays a part, etc., etc., etc. Yeah, in a perfect world a short angle shot should never get by but this isn’t a perfect world.
                          I guess we'll find out when Mike Lee stops every single short angle shot this season. I look forward to reading about and seeing it when the Gophers play them.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 61ache
                            I'm not sure why Mike Lee would be different then any other goal tender, but okay...
                            I'm just going with what you said. You said that the good goalie always covers the short side and Mike Lee is "I've seen this kid play many times and he's the real deal. Cool customer that never tries to do too much. Steady Eddie."

So, I look forward to seeing it The proof is in the pudding.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              That would works out swell in theory were goalies to have straight edges and hug the pipe top to bottom in every short angle situation, but alas they don’t. Take for instance the goal scored by that one little CC sniper in the WCHA championship game against the Gophers about 6 years ago. Short side, top shelf, goal.

I understand your point is that proper positioning wins out over a good shot, but playing goalie isn’t an exact science. Pucks change direction, players are constantly in motion, lighting is different, ice surfaces are different, goalies will over/under compensate, fatigue plays a part, etc., etc., etc. Yeah, in a perfect world a short angle shot should never get by but this isn’t a perfect world.
                              No, I 100% agree with that.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I guess we'll find out when Mike Lee stops every single short angle shot this season. I look forward to reading about and seeing it when the Gophers play them.
                              You do that.

Comment

Speaking of Steady Eddie, will Mike Lee start the proud tradition of getting drunk and fighting with cops the way Ed Belfour did for UND?
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X