This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Goon has a several months to save his milk money.

Comment

Last year for Lou Chia Pet?
      Bob is making me concerned
      I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
        Skeeter. You trolling again? Come on now.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Won't be long until the lakes freeze up. He is trying to land a huge lunker this fall.

Comment

I don't think you can call that trolling. He can do better then that. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed at the lack of effort on his part...weak.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
              We can only hope that you'll finally retire that lame-azz nickname. Hasn't made any sense for a few years now given the hairstyle changes.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                We can only hope that you'll finally retire that lame-azz nickname. Hasn't made any sense for a few years now given the hairstyle changes.
                Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                I don't think you can call that trolling. He can do better then that. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed at the lack of effort on his part...weak.
                Guys, guys, guys. Take this away from Skeeter and what’s he have left?

Comment

Freshmen

Defensive End. - Helgeson
                  Offensive End. - Budish

Non-Frosh

Defensive End. - Fischer
                  Offensive End. - Lucia
                  Love to hate Lucia, and completely respect what he brings to the team. I don't question his grit to play that role, I wonder if he's big enough to do it. I don't think Fischer has the cajones to do it game in and game out.

Those Freshmen will be fun to see develop in those roles, and I think bringing in Potulny will make a huge difference in coaching exactly what the Gophers have been lacking the last couple years.
                  Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                  INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Colon cleansings.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Colon cleansings.
                      And old Steven Wright jokes.

Comment

An act as empty as the rafters of the National Hockey Center.
                        "There are three things that people will watch without saying a word: a river, a campfire and the Zamboni cleaning the ice."

Charles Schulz

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan View Post
                          An act as empty as the rafters of the National Hockey Center.
                          They have participation banners, don't they? Maybe a DQ Cup one?
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            They have participation banners, don't they? Maybe a DQ Cup one?
                            That belonged to UND! They went undefeated in the regular season that year against Minnesota teams! That along with their fraudulent WCHA Playoff banner and pretty much everything they've won was stolen from UND.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                              At least Goon had numbers to back up his claim, you just have your opinion.

So, I'll give my opinion. Who's the better goalie? After watching just one season from Eidsness and two from Kangas, I would give the slight nod to Kangas at this point. Kangas had a dominant freshman season and then I think his confidence and "swagger" really took a hit last year, and that can be a killer for a goalie, where so much is mental. Eidsness did great for us last year as a young freshman goalie, but did tend to wander at inopportune times and had issues with rebounds. I didn't expect anything more from him though, he gave us a chance to win each night and that's all I wanted of him, especially with his age. Kangas, on the other hand, had unrealistic expectations placed on his shoulders (remember last year at this time when some fans were saying that his numbers would improve from his freshman year?), and I think the pressure got to him as the season went along. I'm excited to see how both will do this year. Eidsness with another year of experience under his belt...and then seeing which Kangas shows up. If I had to guess, I would think Kangas' numbers for this year will fall somewhere in the middle of his frosh/soph seasons.

I would take this bet though. It's not like his numbers were outstanding last year, he just got the job done on most occasions. I would imagine his GAA stays similar to the 2.56 from last year, but the save % will go up from .906 IMO.

Here's my opinion on Kangas. The only thing I have to credit my opinion is having played the position and learning from some of the best. You can brake down SV% and GA all you want, and in a large enough sample it might actually mean something. Between the pipes, every game is different, every bounce is different, and SV% might as well be underwear size for all it matters in 36 appearances over a single season--this isn't baseball this is hockey.

The big knock I've had against Kangas over the years and why I absolutely love Mike Lee is positioning. You can't stop the shot if you're not in a position to make the play. Stand on your head all day long, turn the lights out, put up the brick wall, but sooner or later that foundation will fall apart if you're not in a position to make the play. Last year I heard Woog and that other idiot on FSN (don't even want to utter his name...rhymes with either nepotism or miss taco, can't remember) kept talking about a return to the form Kangas had a year ago, like some sort of magically pixie dust could be sprinkled on him and viola playoff Kangas. Meanwhile, fundamentally, not much changed in his game over the year--Kangas found himself out of position, on his heals, over committed, off balance, etc. Sure, diving, rolling, upside down saves are great, but if you play your position with your head you don't really ever need to do that very often.

But then again, my opinion's not worth much, so there you go.
                              Last edited by 61ache; 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 61ache View Post
                                Here's my opinion on Kangas. The only thing I have to credit my opinion is having played the position at a high level before. You can brake down SV% and GA all you want, and in a large enough sample it might actually mean something. Between the pipes, every game is different, every bounce is different, and SV% might as well be underwear size for all it matters in 36 appearances over a single season--this isn't baseball this is hockey.

The big knock I've had against Kangas over the years and why I absolutely love Mike Lee, is positioning. You can't stop the shot if you're not in a position to make the play. Stand on your head all day long, turn the lights out, put up the brick wall, but sooner or later that foundation will fall apart if you're not in a position to make the play. Last year I heard Woog, and the other idiot on FSN (don't even want to utter his name) kept talking about a return to the form Kangas had a year ago, like some sort of magically pixie dust could be sprinkled on him and viola playoff Kangas. Meanwhile, fundamentally, not much changed in his game over the year--Kangas found himself out of position, on his heals, over committed, off balance, etc. Sure, diving, rolling, upside down saves are great, but if you play your position with your head you don't really ever need to do that very often.

But then again, my opinion's not worth much, so there you go.
                                So, what changed then from freshmen to sophmore year with Kangas? Or was his positioning always the same and he just got lucky (was more athletic) his freshmen year?

Pixie Dust? That's a new one.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X