Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010 the last year of the old WCHA

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    F Jordon Schroeder (So), 13-32-45
    F Jay Barriball (Sr), 11-23-34
    D Cade Fairchild (Jr), 9-24-33
    F Mike Hoeffel (Jr), 12-8-20
    F Ryan Flynn (Sr), 6-13-19

All of the above look to improve and with the addition of recruits like Budish and Birkholz, the loss of Stoa's numbers will not be as significant as some naysayers may think.
    Of the above group, I think that Hoeffel is the one that looks to increase in points the most. He played "Stoa-like" at times last season, and if he assumes the role of Stoa on the line with Schroeder, I could see his points coming close to doubling.
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      Of the above group, I think that Hoeffel is the one that looks to increase in points the most. He played "Stoa-like" at times last season, and if he assumes the role of Stoa on the line with Schroeder, I could see his points coming close to doubling.
      You're probably right. I like the odds of somebody or a committee filling in the numbers cause there are plenty of guys around that have both things going for them that they need to do that.

1. the tools
      2. the opportunity

Just need to wait and see who it is.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        1. the tools
        You rang?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I'll take that bet. In a heartbeat.
          I will bet you a big beer at the final five, you in 4 x 4?
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
            I would add to that Jay Barriball. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his Gopher career with close to freshman numbers of 20 goals and 20+ assists. "IF" Fairchild is paired with Helgeson we could see a lot more offense out of Fairchild and his numbers will go up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              It's the halos!
              You know you want one...
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                I would add to that Jay Barriball. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his Gopher career with close to freshman numbers of 20 goals and 20+ assists. "IF" Fairchild is paired with Helgeson we could see a lot more offense out of Fairchild and his numbers will go up as well.
                Please don't take this as typical SCSU woofing on the Gophers... I think that the Gophers have got a lot of talent coming back, and I agree Hoeffel is the Gopher to look for for a breakout season this year, but I can't see Barriball's numbers going up, in fact, I think they'll dip a bit. Stoa was a big part of why Barriball had such a big year last year (and in turn, helped me win a Fantasy Hockey Championship ), 'cause he received a point in 19 of Barriball's 34 points. I just think he, more than Schroeder, will be hurt the most by Stoa's loss, and Barriball could take another statistical dip, like from his freshman to sophomore year.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  I just think he, more than Schroeder, will be hurt the most by Stoa's loss, and Barriball could take another statistical dip, like from his freshman to sophomore year.
                  imho it will depend upon which Barriball we get. I’d argue a large part of Jay’s resurgence last year was just as much (if not more) from the fact he returned to driving the net instead of trying to create everything from the wall or the top of the circles. The more he plays like Dino the more successful he will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    imho it will depend upon which Barriball we get. I’d argue a large part of Jay’s resurgence last year was just as much (if not more) from the fact he returned to driving the net instead of trying to create everything from the wall or the top of the circles. The more he plays like Dino the more successful he will be.
                    I think you got him pegged. Dino's style really fits him.

Comment

The Gophers need to get someone to sit their butt in front of the net on both ends of the ice. Last year they were horribly weak there on D and never cleared the front of the crease. Offensively they were much stronger there compared to 07-08, and I believe Stoa coming back from injury played a huge part in that, but offensively they still disappeared in gritty games. Get a Grant Potulny type player there and the Gopher offense will greatly improve. I think Hoeffel will be a stud this year.
                      Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                      INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by gordwiser View Post
                        The Gophers need to get someone to sit their butt in front of the net on both ends of the ice. Last year they were horribly weak there on D and never cleared the front of the crease. Offensively they were much stronger there compared to 07-08, and I believe Stoa coming back from injury played a huge part in that, but offensively they still disappeared in gritty games. Get a Grant Potulny type player there and the Gopher offense will greatly improve. I think Hoeffel will be a stud this year.
                        Freshmen

Defensive End. - Helgeson
                        Offensive End. - Budish

Non-Frosh

Defensive End. - Fischer
                        Offensive End. - Lucia
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Freshmen

Defensive End. - Helgeson
                          Offensive End. - Budish

Non-Frosh

Defensive End. - Fischer
                          Offensive End. - Lucia
                          I could see Hoeffel and Mattson playing (at least in part) that type of game as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I could see Hoeffel and Mattson playing (at least in part) that type of game as well.
                            Absolutely. I'm just pointing out that it's there. I think Grant may get these guys to do it more often like has been suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                              I will bet you a big beer at the final five, you in 4 x 4?
                              Absolutely.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Keep in mind, a big beer at the Final Five costs around $TEXAS.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X